I have to S&T qn which need yr help.
1. Muthu tried very hard to reason with Mrs Tan but she refused to listen to him.
Ans; No matter ________________________
No matter how hard Muthu tried to reason, Mrs Tan refused to listen to him.
The answer is almost there, however, with one change:
- No matter how hard Muthu tried to reason with Mrs Tan, she
refused to listen to him.
(You need to put 'with Mrs Tan' in front, then it will be clear who Muthu
is trying to reason with)
2. Mr Yong last saw his neighbour fifteen years ago.
______________________________ since __________________.
Mr Yong had not seen his neighbour since fifteen years ago.
The answer should be:
- Mr Yong has not seen his neighbour since fifteen years ago.
It should be present perfect tense and not past perfect tense as Mr Yong
saw his neighbour 15 years ago BUT has not seen him ever since-
it is implied that he has not seen him till today.
Please kindly provide info on active and passive voice too.
Active voice: The subject is the one 'doing' the action
Eg: The girl (subject) ate the burger.
The girl was the 'doer' of the action - ate.
Passive voice: The subject has an action done to it/him/her.
Eg: The burger (subject) was eaten.
The burger had the action of being eaten done to it, it was
the 'target' of the action and not the 'doer' of the action.
-I eat the burgers today
- I ate a burger
(Present continuous tense)
- I am eating a burger
(Past continuous tense)
- I was eating a burger
(Present perfect tense)
- I have eaten a burger
(Past perfect tense)
- I had eaten a burger
- The burgers are eaten (by me) today
-The burger was eaten
- The burger is being eaten
- The burger was being eaten
- The burger has been eaten
- The burger had been eaten