optimistforum wrote:The Alternative Story wrote:optimistforum wrote:Example:
He felt unwell. He went to bed.
Feeling unwell, he went to bed.
1. I felt sorry for the waif. I gave him a florin.
2. The man dived into the sea. The man rescued the boy from drowning.
3. Helen finished her breakfast. Helen set out for school.
4. I arrived early. I had a practice game of tennis.
5. The farmer cut the corn. He put it into stooks.
6. The policeman spun round. He seized the thief's weapon.
7. Mary passed the old house. She heard a strange cry from within.
8. The fireman carried the limp figure over his shoulder. He descended the ladder carefully.
My answers are below:
1. Feeling sorry for the waif, I gave him a florin.
2. Diving into the sea, the man rescued the boy from drowning.
3. Finishing her breakfast, Helen set out for school.
4. Arriving early, I had a practice game of tennis.
5. Cutting the corn, the farmer put it into stooks.
6. Spinning round, the policeman seized the thief's weapon.
7. Passing the old house, Mary heard a strange cry from within.
8. Carrying the limp figure over his shoulder, the fireman descended the ladder carefully.
There is no problem with your answers, they are all correct.
Thank you, TAS, for the sense-checking.
It is much-appreciated.
FYI, these questions are taken from 100 Exercises in English Usage (Book 4, 11-12 years); these are very old Primary books that are written by Hodder Education (and are meant to complement the New First Aid in English). I would heartily recommend them to anyone.