Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About English Creative Writing

Discussions on tuition centres/enrichment services that specialise in English.

Re: English Creative Writing

Postby awfullyKS » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi mum2010,

Oh dear, I have also joined TAS and so far the teacher is very good. Which centre are you at?

awfullyKS
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:00 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: English Creative Writing

Postby awfullyKS » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Could your dd be in a new class? I heard from another friend whose ds joined a new class that in the beginning, the compo writing will not be one whole compo, it will be parts of the compo for the kids to memorise and write out. They usually memorise the important parts then write out. I think for my case after about 3-4 weeks, then they went on to write whole compos. I asked the teacher about the pacing and she said as they move on and can understand the techniques more, it will be one compo written almost every week or every 2 weeks.

awfullyKS
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:00 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: English Creative Writing

Postby coolit » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:25 pm

For compo, they do a lot of class work, they will have to learn the different sentence structures and write on their own mini whiteboard and also
learn key phrases by memorisation. Initially, I was also not sure whether memorisation will help and I wanted to see actual work written but after
they were in TAS for about half a year, I realize that the memorisation helps
my kids to internalize the writing style and skills much faster and after that,
it is much less memory work and more application and then you will see a lot more writing of whole compos. This is from my experience. But I think it
is better that you ask the teacher and clarify any misgivings. How old is your child?

She sounds quite bright. Maybe she is not suitable for a class of her age
level. One of my friend's child is now in P3 but he is in the P5 class because
he is way ahead of his age and it helps stretch him more.

coolit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:34 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: English Creative Writing

Postby Monster Mummy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:19 pm

mum2010 wrote:
Hi,
I sent my gal for the trial lesson. After the lesson, she was very happy as she told me the teacher taught a lot of descriptive words and phrases. So we decided to signed up for the class. And guess what? Till now, THAT was the only lesson the teacher was so enuthiastic in teaching the class descriptive words for compo.

Also she's yet to write a compo, this really upset her as she loves writing. There was one 'writing', they were told to copy the descriptive paragraph from onto foolscape for the teacher to mark n till now I've not seen the pieace of copied 'compo'.

Hope to share what we are going thro'.

Hi,
May I understand whether that this is purely creative writing class. To my uderstanding the kid is writing a composition with the different situation quoted. Maybe it will wise to speak to the teacher to clear out your doubt.

Monster Mummy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:39 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: English Creative Writing

Postby sleepy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:54 pm

mum2010 wrote:Hi,
I sent my gal for the trial lesson. After the lesson, she was very happy as she told me the teacher taught a lot of descriptive words and phrases. So we decided to signed up for the class. And guess what? Till now, THAT was the only lesson the teacher was so enuthiastic in teaching the class descriptive words for compo.

Also she's yet to write a compo, this really upset her as she loves writing. There was one 'writing', they were told to copy the descriptive paragraph from onto foolscape for the teacher to mark n till now I've not seen the pieace of copied 'compo'.

Hope to share what we are going thro'.


FYI another thread with more feedback on TAS
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 7&start=20

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9768
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 38



Re: English Creative Writing

Postby mum2010 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:43 pm

awfullyKS wrote:Hi mum2010,

Oh dear, I have also joined TAS and so far the teacher is very good. Which centre are you at?


Hi,

Guessed my girl is not as lucky. May I know which centre your kid is in? Well, I dont mind to transfer my girl to there based on your feedback.
TIA.

mum2010
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:50 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: English Creative Writing

Postby mum2010 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:54 pm

awfullyKS wrote:Could your dd be in a new class? I heard from another friend whose ds joined a new class that in the beginning, the compo writing will not be one whole compo, it will be parts of the compo for the kids to memorise and write out. They usually memorise the important parts then write out. I think for my case after about 3-4 weeks, then they went on to write whole compos. I asked the teacher about the pacing and she said as they move on and can understand the techniques more, it will be one compo written almost every week or every 2 weeks.


Hi,

Sorry, so far no techniques taught yet. And Yes my girl is able to relate clearly what she was taught in class after every lesson. I am a typical mummy who will always want my kid to tell me what they learn in class .... just dont want her to waste her precious time away learning nothing much. With that 2 hours, she is able to learn lots of things or maybe just resting would be good.

PURELY memorise for the sake of spelling. My girl even asked me to use my half past six englisht to teach her instead of wasting her precious time there.

Juz sharing with parents.

mum2010
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:50 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: English Creative Writing

Postby mum2010 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:00 pm

awfullyKS wrote:Could your dd be in a new class? I heard from another friend whose ds joined a new class that in the beginning, the compo writing will not be one whole compo, it will be parts of the compo for the kids to memorise and write out. They usually memorise the important parts then write out. I think for my case after about 3-4 weeks, then they went on to write whole compos. I asked the teacher about the pacing and she said as they move on and can understand the techniques more, it will be one compo written almost every week or every 2 weeks.


It's fine with me to memorise descriptive words but the teacher should have at least taught the kids how to apply what they memorised. Memorising is one thing and application is totally another.

Know the ingredients and not knowing how or when to add ingredients is the same case.

My girl learnt chinese compo in this way and she is able to score.

So I was thinking maybe it could be done for english too.

Just sharing with parents.

mum2010
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:50 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: English Creative Writing

Postby mum2010 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:06 pm

coolit wrote:For compo, they do a lot of class work, they will have to learn the different sentence structures and write on their own mini whiteboard and also
learn key phrases by memorisation. Initially, I was also not sure whether memorisation will help and I wanted to see actual work written but after
they were in TAS for about half a year, I realize that the memorisation helps
my kids to internalize the writing style and skills much faster and after that,
it is much less memory work and more application and then you will see a lot more writing of whole compos. This is from my experience. But I think it
is better that you ask the teacher and clarify any misgivings. How old is your child?

She sounds quite bright. Maybe she is not suitable for a class of her age
level. One of my friend's child is now in P3 but he is in the P5 class because
he is way ahead of his age and it helps stretch him more.


Sad to say, she is in class of higher level.
Even if she's in a class of her level, the tutor should also teach the techniques to the kids.

That's what i believe most parents are looking for. What makes me mad is that that I was told for the trial lesson she wont be asked to write but not the follwing lessons.

Worst, techniques, techniques, techniques..... where?

Just sharing with parents.

mum2010
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:50 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: English Creative Writing

Postby mum2010 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Monster Mummy wrote:
mum2010 wrote:
Hi,
I sent my gal for the trial lesson. After the lesson, she was very happy as she told me the teacher taught a lot of descriptive words and phrases. So we decided to signed up for the class. And guess what? Till now, THAT was the only lesson the teacher was so enuthiastic in teaching the class descriptive words for compo.

Also she's yet to write a compo, this really upset her as she loves writing. There was one 'writing', they were told to copy the descriptive paragraph from onto foolscape for the teacher to mark n till now I've not seen the pieace of copied 'compo'.

Hi,

It's compo and compre but now i would like to call it a compre and grammar class which is more appropriate.

Just sharing.

Hope to share what we are going thro'.

Hi,
May I understand whether that this is purely creative writing class. To my uderstanding the kid is writing a composition with the different situation quoted. Maybe it will wise to speak to the teacher to clear out your doubt.


Hi,
It's a compo and compre class.

mum2010
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:50 am
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to English

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres