English Question - Format for answering comprehension

Discussions on tuition centres/enrichment services that specialise in English.

English Question - Format for answering comprehension

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:42 pm

In the past......

Question: Why was the girl sad?
Answer: The girl was sad because her pet dog died.

In today's situation...

Case 1:
Question: Why was the girl sad?
Answer: Because her pet dog died.

or:

Case 2:
Question: Why was the girl sad?
Answer: Her pet dog died.

I was told by an English teacher that students are no longer supposed to re-write the whole sentence before they applied "because"....

Then when Case 1 was used, another English teacher marked it wrong(ie minus marks) and should be Case 2.

So I just want to hear from experienced parents whose kids have done this for 6 years in primary school, what is the acceptable format now or is there a Case 3 approach? or every teacher marked differently? or can someone advise what is the PSLE acceptable standard?
Guest
 

Postby poohandtigger » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:06 pm

My understanding is that Case 2 is the correct format.

poohandtigger
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:48 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby angela » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:41 pm

They are not allowed to start the sentence with 'Because' so Case 2 is more acceptable.

angela
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Guest » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:36 pm

Thank you poohandtigger and angela.

I remember the first teacher mentioned to start with "because"...hmmm.
Guest
 

Postby acforfamily » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:05 am

Hi,
Just to relate my experience. From what I gather, my son's school also answered in the way of case 2. So he mistakenly took it to mean that it is not a complete sentence.

Q: where did he put the toys
His answer: In the cupboard

This is wrong as it should be
He put the toys in the cupboard.

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:33 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby Guest » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:24 am

acforfamily wrote:Hi,
Just to relate my experience. From what I gather, my son's school also answered in the way of case 2. So he mistakenly took it to mean that it is not a complete sentence.

Q: where did he put the toys
His answer: In the cupboard

This is wrong as it should be
He put the toys in the cupboard.


Thanks for sharing. Good to know it can possibly result in that. :wink:
Guest
 

Postby pinball » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:38 am

I asked someone the question, this is her take and it make sense that the teacher said the correct answer should start with 'Because'

"Because her pet dog died" is the correct one.
Teachers usually discourage students from starting the sentence with a "Because" because for fear of some wrong usage but in the example you cited, the clausal relationship is very clear so I don't see why we can't start with a "Because". If we just answered with "Her pet dog died." then we are not responding to a question; it's just a statement, isn't it?

pinball
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:47 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby Emelyn » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:39 am

DS2's teacher told me that the comprehension answers must be in full sentenace.

So, "In the cupboard" is not a complete sentence, so incorrect.
"Because her pet dog died." is not a structurally correct and complete sentence, so incorrect.

"Her pet dog died." is a complete and structurally correct setence, so correct.

Emelyn
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:24 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Guest » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:04 pm

pinball wrote:I asked someone the question, this is her take and it make sense that the teacher said the correct answer should start with 'Because'

"Because her pet dog died" is the correct one.
Teachers usually discourage students from starting the sentence with a "Because" because for fear of some wrong usage but in the example you cited, the clausal relationship is very clear so I don't see why we can't start with a "Because". If we just answered with "Her pet dog died." then we are not responding to a question; it's just a statement, isn't it?


Hey hey you spoke my thoughts. *hi-5* :D
I will try to seek teachers' required answer format and rationale and update here later.
Guest
 

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:05 pm

Emelyn wrote:DS2's teacher told me that the comprehension answers must be in full sentenace.

So, "In the cupboard" is not a complete sentence, so incorrect.
"Because her pet dog died." is not a structurally correct and complete sentence, so incorrect.

"Her pet dog died." is a complete and structurally correct setence, so correct.


Thanks for your analysis. It is true that we need to observe complete and structurally correct sentence. Good point.
Guest
 

Next

Return to English