DIY : Alphabet Cards

Discussions on tuition centres/enrichment services that specialise in English.

DIY or just buy off the shelf?

I'm willing to try DIY stuff to make simple learning materials.
10
63%
I'm the just-buy-off-the-shelf kind.
6
38%
 
Total votes : 16

DIY : Alphabet Cards

Postby buds » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:03 pm

//Editor's note: Topic selected for Portal publication.

Do It Yourself : Alphabet Cards (1) - Montessori Sandpaper Letters

Materials

1.Vanguard Paper / Manila Card
> Pink for consonant cards
> Blue for vowel cards

2.Sandpaper (Bought mine from Daiso)
> 120 range for coarser feel to the touch
> 240 range for a less coars-y feel to the touch


Image


If you aren't sure which range of coarse-ness you'd prefer to use
for your cards, you can always get this small pack first to have a
feel since most of the sandpaper packs in Daiso cannot be opened
for touch test.

It contains rectangular strips of sandpaper of varying coarse range.
> 2 pcs of the 60 range
> 1 pc of the 100 range
> 2 pcs of the 150 range
> 1 pc of the 180 range
> 2 pcs of the 240 range


Image


Once you've decided, then you can get the pack of the exact
range in a bigger sized pack consisting of 5 pieces of sandpaper.


3.Sharp scissors

4.White craft glue / UHU glue

5.Ruler

6.Alphabet Templates
> like these... :wink:


Image



Image



Image



Image

*I prefer to use this letter 'n' template upside down for the
letter card 'u', instead of the one without the tail... so just
paste the other way round on the card to make the letter
'u' card.



Image



Image



Image



Note : These are the closest alphabet impressions i could get.
You may need to tailor it a bit to make the letter "f" tip slightly
more curved down.... or the letter "p" a little longer.... (etc).

You know what i mean... :wink: Make the letter shape as how
you would want your child to see it, trace it and write it, yuup! :D
Don't have to die-die follow my templates. :P :lol:

The single letter sounds introductions as displayed above in
the templates order. ie..

1. /c/, /f/, /i/, /m/

2. /e/, /z/, /p/, /o/

3. /q/, /r/, /j/, /v/

4. /g/, /u/, /w/, /k/

5. /s/, /y/, /d/, /h/

6. /t/, /b/, /x/, /n/

7. /a/, /x/, /u/, /l/

7.Old newspapers or magazines as base for work space

Procedure


Image


1. Cut square vanguard paper / manila cards measuring
approximately (plus-minus) 6.4 inches or 15.4 centimetres.


Image


2. If you wanna prepare all 26 cards one shot, cut 21 pink
squares (consonant cards) and cut 5 blue squares (vowel cards).


Image


3. Cut out alphabet templates and trace them out behind the
sandpaper letters in reverse shape. It is easier to trace the letters
on the smooth side of the sandpaper. Cutting out the alphabet templates
can help you save sandpaper material as you can trace them closely next
to each other with the space you have.

4. A sharp scissors is required to cut through the sandpaper to avoid
those ugly torn marks at the corners. Sorry, i a bit perfectionist especially
when it comes to cutting stuff. :oops: :lol:

5. Cut out all the alphabet letters that have been traced on the back of
the sandpaper and put them aside.


Image


6. Use good quality white / craft glue or UHU glue to paste at the back of
the cut-out sandpaper alphabets and stick each of them in the centre of
each coloured square card. Remember : pink for consonants and blue for
vowels, okie? :wink:

7. When doing stuff for DIY, i prefer to do at the very least; two sets.
Cause in case one gets torn, missing, spilled on by something, vandalized..
(the list goes on)..... then there is a spare for immediate use. :D


Image


8. Leave all the finished sandpaper letter cards to dry completely.

9. Voila! And soon, it's ready for use.

I have many different variations to alphabet cards to share with you too.
In the next episode. Hope this provides a clear start for parents who are
keen to start their children with Montessori Phonics in the comfort of home.

:celebrate:

Before i end off this post, here are the objectives of having a child work on
the Montessori Sandpaper Letters. As always, all feedback are welcome!

1. Provides tactile experience for both left and right handed children.
2. Provides awareness to the different letter shapes.
3. Guides children with the proper way letters are written.
4. Early introduction to sounds in letters.
5. Combines muscular impressions and visual memory to each letter shape.
6. Material is self-correctional. ie. Tracing should be done only on the
sandpaper part of the material. The control of error is when the child's
fingers moves away from the sandpaper shape... touching the smooth
material of the vanguard paper / manila card.
7. Lightness of touch for the preparation of future writing.
8. Preparation for reading.
Last edited by buds on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 22683
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 am
Total Likes: 84


Postby sunset_dae » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:59 pm

thanks buds! ive been waiting for this!
never knew it was so easy! :D

sunset_dae
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:26 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby buds » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:00 pm

You're welcome, sunset_dae!
Yes, it is that easy as long as
the materials are available &
the heart is into the project!

Hope you like it!

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 22683
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 am
Total Likes: 84


Postby autumnbronze » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:54 pm

buds wrote:You're welcome, sunset_dae!
Yes, it is that easy as long as
the materials are available &
the heart is into the project!

Hope you like it!


Hey buds,

Thx for the tip. V V useful. :D

2 questions:

1. Is it possible to do it with numbers?? And any idea where I can get them?

2. You mentioned that there should be separate colours for the vowels and consonants. May I know the rationale behind it?

TIA

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11858
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:54 pm
Total Likes: 63


Postby buds » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:10 pm

autumnbronze wrote:Hey buds,

Thx for the tip. V V useful. :D


Good to know. :D

autumnbronze wrote:2 questions:

1. Is it possible to do it with numbers?? And any idea where I can get them?


Yes. Definitely. The Sandpaper Numerals come in green cards.
Where to get what? The sandpaper numerals... Just use the
extras from the leftover sandpaper for the numerals. Only get
the green manila cards that's all. If you're the buy-off-the-shelf
kind, you may get it online. But honestly, not worth the price..
Unless if it comes with wood base.

autumnbronze wrote:2. You mentioned that there should be separate colours for the vowels and consonants. May I know the rationale behind it?

TIA


The follow up material in preparation for word building activities also uses
similar colours. Children learn that to make per se... a three letter phonetic
word, we need two of the pinks and one blue. And subsequently, blending
(of sounds) activities will come in.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 22683
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 am
Total Likes: 84



Postby autumnbronze » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:20 pm

buds wrote:
autumnbronze wrote:Hey buds,

Thx for the tip. V V useful. :D


Good to know. :D

autumnbronze wrote:2 questions:

1. Is it possible to do it with numbers?? And any idea where I can get them?


Yes. Definitely. The Sandpaper Numerals come in green cards.
Where to get what? The sandpaper numerals... Just use the
extras from the leftover sandpaper for the numerals. Only get
the green manila cards that's all. If you're the buy-off-the-shelf
kind, you may get it online. But honestly, not worth the price..
Unless if it comes with wood base.

autumnbronze wrote:2. You mentioned that there should be separate colours for the vowels and consonants. May I know the rationale behind it?

TIA


The follow up material in preparation for word building activities also uses
similar colours. Children learn that to make per se... a three letter phonetic
word, we need two of the pinks and one blue. And subsequently, blending
(of sounds) activities will come in.


Sorry lah, haven't had lunch yet ... brain cells flickering ... :wink:

okie, I mean the template for numbers :D

Wow wee, teaching young kids no joke ...

how on earth did I pick up reading?? :?

TIA

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11858
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:54 pm
Total Likes: 63


Postby buds » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:22 pm

The number templates?

Get from me lar... aberden. :lol:

I'll put it up as well. :wink:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 22683
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 am
Total Likes: 84


Postby kiasimom » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:22 pm

Hey buds,

:goodpost: :ugogirl:

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:01 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby buds » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:26 pm

:thankyou:
Last edited by buds on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 22683
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 am
Total Likes: 84


Postby autumnbronze » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:26 pm

buds wrote:The number templates?

Get from me lar... aberden. :lol:

I'll put it up as well. :wink:



yes mam!! :salute:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11858
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:54 pm
Total Likes: 63


Next

Return to English