British Council - Discussion

Discussions on tuition centres/enrichment services that specialise in English.

British Council - Discussion

Postby MMM » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:09 am

Hi,

Anyone tried british council for creative writing,etc... for lower primary?

Is it good?

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:28 pm
Total Likes: 77


British council

Postby MMM » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:35 pm

Sorry for the duplicate posting but was hoping to get more visibility by posting here. Was hoping to get some feedback on british council primary programs. Such as is it good, effective,etc...?

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:28 pm
Total Likes: 77


Postby MMM » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:49 am

Hi,

Unfortunately, I am not able to get any feedback on BC from the forum. Just want to share that I only got to realise yesterday that my Sec 3 gg nephew just started with BC this semester. He was the last few in class and in his recent test, he became the top 3. His school english teachers also commented on significant improvement in him.

I also had a ex-boss whose son went to learning lab at utd sq and he subsequent pull him out and put him at BC. He didn't tell me why he pull his son out from LL.

With that, at this point, I think I would give it a go and will share my experience.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:28 pm
Total Likes: 77


Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:57 am

MMM wrote:...Just want to share that I only got to realise yesterday that my Sec 3 gg nephew just started with BC this semester. He was the last few in class and in his recent test, he became the top 3. His school english teachers also commented on significant improvement in him...


Hi MMM,

Thanks for sharing! I have always been eyeing British Council, but it seems rather expensive, in the same class as Learning Lab.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Postby MMM » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:34 am

Hi Chief,

My girl is currently with Jan & Elly which is so called "reasonable" range. (On hindsight, maybe I was wrong as I haven't compare to other centres). But when I did a comparison between what we pay today, BC wasn't much more.

To illustrate :
J&E :
1.5 hrs
10 weeks
Fees $430
Cost per hour : $28.67

BC
1hr 45 mins
20 weeks
Fees $1095
Cost per hour : $31.29
Cost per month is $182.50 based on 6 months instalment. If you sign up for 1 yr, it is cheaper eg. $174....

Therefore the diff in cost per hour is only $2.62 which is actually not very significant if it is effective. Also, they have 6 months/ 12 months interest free instalment with CC so you don't need to fork out cash outfront.

I think my key concern is that I want a school that is able to make a difference and able to provide some good foundation which we can rely for years. Eg. I prefer to stick to the same school iso changing schools. With this change next year, I need to reschedule all the weekends lessons,etc... it's really a hassle trying to fit everything nicely.

But with so little said about BC, I was worried and really need to get feedback.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:28 pm
Total Likes: 77



Postby EN » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:19 am

Hi

Try reading the Learning Lab thread. The start of the thread someone describe BC classes. BC class is a lot of play justl like MASC. The only difference is, in MASC the teacher do mark the kids work & BC do not.

I'm keen to hear if there are different feedback on BC from the ones I received in the Learning Lab thread.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:06 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby VooVoo » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:10 pm

EN wrote:Hi

Try reading the Learning Lab thread. The start of the thread someone describe BC classes. BC class is a lot of play justl like MASC. The only difference is, in MASC the teacher do mark the kids work & BC do not.

I'm keen to hear if there are different feedback on BC from the ones I received in the Learning Lab thread.



What's MASC? :oops:

VooVoo
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 844
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:14 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby MMM » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:15 pm

EN wrote:Hi

I'm keen to hear if there are different feedback on BC from the ones I received in the Learning Lab thread.


Hi, yes sure hope to hear more about BC as that thread doesn't tell much except it is learn thru play? Which I personally think it is good if it is effective. It's boring if everything is done in a serious manner it will kill the interest.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:28 pm
Total Likes: 77


Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:16 pm

MMM wrote:
EN wrote:Hi

I'm keen to hear if there are different feedback on BC from the ones I received in the Learning Lab thread.


Hi, yes sure hope to hear more about BC as that thread doesn't tell much except it is learn thru play? Which I personally think it is good if it is effective. It's boring if everything is done in a serious manner it will kill the interest.


Just like we want Beijing teachers to teach our children Chinese, do you know if BC provides real British teachers to teach English? That would be a real plus for me. Other than me having a fetish for the British accent, I guess there's nothing better than having a native teacher for teaching a language.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Postby EN » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:12 am

Hi VooVoo

MASC stands for Morris Allen Study Centre. The teachers are either Aussie, NZlander, Brit or American.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:06 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to English