Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Shichida Right Brain Training - Discussion

This sub-forum contains discussions by the community on tuition centres/enrichment services that specialise in Brain Training & Thinking Skills.

Postby tamarind » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:50 am

Telepathy is something that Shichida aims to teach, right ? :D

A couple of months ago, I was surfing www.amazon.com at work, and I came across the book "How to draw mermaids and fairies", and I was thinking it is a nice book, but I did not make the decision to buy it. When I returned home, I am very sure I did not speak a word about that book. My girl came to me and said "Mommy, can you buy me the book How to draw mermaids and fairies" ? That was exactly the title of the book. I was like :shock: But it may also be just a coincidence lah.

But I do agree with you that most of the time, it is more likely due to a very high level of sensitivity and ability to read body language.
Last edited by tamarind on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3113
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:37 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:00 am

tamarind wrote:...When I returned home, I am very sure I did not speak a word about that book. My girl to me and said "Mommy, can you buy me the book How to draw mermaids and fairies" ? That was exactly the title of the book. I was like :shock: But it may also be just a coincidence lah...


Now... THAT's scary :shock:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15431
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 328


Postby mintcc » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:40 am

wah Chief Kiasu, seems like your girl is picking up Japanese real fast. can share more what are the things they do in Little nerotree and that are the activities that they ask you to do at home?

WOW Tamarind wow, seems like your girl can read your mind. That's pretty amazing.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:05 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby tamarind » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:04 am

On a few other occasions, she also spoke what I was thinking in my mind, and I was very sure I did not say it out loud.

But I don't think that she really has the ability of telepathy lah. She is able to make logical deductions at a very young age, so she may be making intelligent guesses only :D

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3113
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:37 am
Total Likes: 0


stay on the soap box

Postby KARman » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:38 pm

Both ChiefKiasu and breguet make a great point. It's about spending time with your child, and giving them experiences. They are like sponges, and they do absorb without necessarily understanding - because what they're doing is laying down the patterns they'll use later to make sense of the world.

That means the learning habits they'll need to master in the future.

That's why I get so mad with methods that flash meaningless stuff at kids. If we are going to do the good kiasu thing and give kids our time and our effort, much better to make learning - esp reading - fun and an important part of their lives. Help them interact with others, experience numbers as reality, not as abstract symbols. The key is to establish good habits which they can use life-long - the reason they absorb everything at young age, is so that they can learn how to do things for later. - Not much call for flash-cards in the real world!!!

KARman
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:09 am
Total Likes: 0



Re: stay on the soap box

Postby mintcc » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:44 pm

KARman wrote:I get so mad with methods that flash meaningless stuff at kids. If we are going to do the good kiasu thing and give kids our time and our effort, much better to make learning - esp reading - fun and an important part of their lives. Help them interact with others, experience numbers as reality, not as abstract symbols. The key is to establish good habits which they can use life-long - the reason they absorb everything at young age, is so that they can learn how to do things for later. - Not much call for flash-cards in the real world!!!


Hi Karman, I agree with you that the making learning fun and acquiring good learning habits are especially important. There are a camp of people that disagree with using flash cards for young kids but if you take away the hype, the flash cards are only an addition methods of learning (rather than replacement) in addition to reading, experiencing the subject and counting. Many preschools uses flash cards in their teaching too.

But ultimately flash cards are only as good as the content it display and are only meant to introduce knowledge or enable the child to make association with knowledge they already have. If the flash cards are meaningless than the child don't learn any thing.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:05 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby poohcutie » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:36 am

hi
jst my sharing on right brain

my no1 started SM when she was 11 mths and withdrew her when she was abt 3.5. Since am a SAHM, i do home practice wif her like once a day for abt 30 mins (like flashcard, pretend play, etc)

My gal is 5 nw. So far, we got feedback from her enrichment teachers that she 'picks up' fast compared to her peers and she is quite ahead of her peers. She has gd memory too ( i think mst kids do). But ultimately we do not want her to 'study' using her memory but study with understanding & concept.

i do feel that right brain more or less does helps alil plus my hardwork .hehehe

Having to say that, most parents expect to see immediate result after attending few lessons or a term. Remember that all kids are diff.

poohcutie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:20 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Luanee » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:11 pm

To share my experience on Shicida, we signed my girl up when she was 2, stuck with it for a year before giving up. Basically my girl got bored with the lessons and refused to sit through it. And we do not have the time to do the follow-ups at home too, as I am a working mum.

On the other hand, my sis-in-law, who sent her daughter to Shicida too, is still doing it, her girl now 7 yrs old! Apparently her girl enjoys it, and from what I see, she is definitely much more intelligent than my girl (they are 7 months apart in age). She can do spelling, mathematics much better. I am not sure whether that is due to Shichida or other enrichment classes she is taking or maybe it's just her genes ...

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1570
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:25 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:20 pm

Luanee wrote:...On the other hand, my sis-in-law, who sent her daughter to Shicida too, is still doing it, her girl now 7 yrs old! Apparently her girl enjoys it, and from what I see, she is definitely much more intelligent than my girl (they are 7 months apart in age). She can do spelling, mathematics much better. I am not sure whether that is due to Shichida or other enrichment classes she is taking or maybe it's just her genes ...


If your sister-in-law is a SAHM, it's more likely because of the daily effort put in by the parents, and not just because of the weekly enrichment sessions.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15431
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 328


Postby Luanee » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:21 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:If your sister-in-law is a SAHM, it's more likely because of the daily effort put in by the parents, and not just because of the weekly enrichment sessions.

No, she is also a full-time working mum just like me..

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1570
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:25 am
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to Brain Training & Thinking Skills

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres