Shichida Right Brain Training - Discussion

This sub-forum contains discussions by the community on tuition centres/enrichment services that specialise in Brain Training & Thinking Skills.

Re: Mandala-colouring used by Shichida Method

Postby marvic » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:21 pm

phankao wrote:
concern2 wrote:Visit this site - got free mandalas..

www.homeeducation.sg


What are mandalas for?


Hi I think it is explained in the website.

marvic
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:24 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Mandala-colouring used by Shichida Method

Postby phankao » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:39 pm

marvic wrote:
phankao wrote:
concern2 wrote:Visit this site - got free mandalas..

www.homeeducation.sg


What are mandalas for?


Hi I think it is explained in the website.


Ok, I must be dumb. I don't get it.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5659
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 pm
Total Likes: 7


Postby mintcc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi phankao,

mandalas are concentric diagrams.

One of the activities in Shichida method involves showing a child a mandala with colours for a few seconds. After that the child demonstrate her recall for the color on by coloring on a similar mandala without colors.

as said on the site, it helps trains photographic memory and visualization ability.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:05 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby phankao » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:36 pm

mincy wrote:Hi phankao,

mandalas are concentric diagrams.

One of the activities in Shichida method involves showing a child a mandala with colours for a few seconds. After that the child demonstrate her recall for the color on by coloring on a similar mandala without colors.

as said on the site, it helps trains photographic memory and visualization ability.


ok, so what we test is "copying" of colours. Great explanation. ;-)

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5659
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 pm
Total Likes: 7


Postby mintcc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:58 pm

Merlion wrote:Sorry to say that I think all these right brain training classes are a bit over rated. There are a lot of methods and games that you can play with your kids to help them to develope their right brain. I really don't believe that 2 hours a week will help. It is still up to the parents to work with the kids, so why spend so much money on it?


ermmm it's like going to classes for anything lor...I can watch video and practice yoga and aerobics or figure out how to bake a cake on my own but going to classes helps motivates us to practice, gives us new ideas to use, allows us to compare what we do and what is done in class, get feedback, fill in gaps in our teaching and last but not least make sure there is at least sometime each week dedicated to practicing all the varied activities.

I know many parents who were extremely motivated and were able to consistently practice and play right brain games with their children on their own. I am one of those lazy ones who if I did not go to class will probably practice right brain games once a month...or less...
:oops:

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:05 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby mintcc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:19 pm

something like that lah... does help with colour recall. There are however, deeper meaning to using mandalas. you can read more about it here
http://www.mandalaproject.org/What/Index.html

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:05 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby marvic » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:24 am

mincy wrote:
Merlion wrote:Sorry to say that I think all these right brain training classes are a bit over rated. There are a lot of methods and games that you can play with your kids to help them to develope their right brain. I really don't believe that 2 hours a week will help. It is still up to the parents to work with the kids, so why spend so much money on it?


ermmm it's like going to classes for anything lor...I can watch video and practice yoga and aerobics or figure out how to bake a cake on my own but going to classes helps motivates us to practice, gives us new ideas to use, allows us to compare what we do and what is done in class, get feedback, fill in gaps in our teaching and last but not least make sure there is at least sometime each week dedicated to practicing all the varied activities.

I know many parents who were extremely motivated and were able to
consistently practice and play right brain games with their children on their own. I am one of those lazy ones who if I did not go to class will probably practice right brain games once a month...or less...
:oops:


One more aspect of attending those classes, is that your child get to mix around with the classmates. There are more interaction which are definitely helpful to both children and parents. In our case, my son left the Shicida few years ago, but we still keep in touch with some other parents whom we develop friendship during those classes.

marvic
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:24 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby marvic » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:31 am

sorry if my udnerstanding is correct, the colours used are bright which is easy to be recognised by babies or very young children. no wonder that toys for babies and young children are made up of mainly bright red, blue, green, yellow. we seldom see toys that are colours like grey, black, white. so such colours are used for training the memory cos they are what the babies/young children can easily recognise.

marvic
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:24 pm
Total Likes: 0


mandala-colouring used by Shichida Method

Postby concern2 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:59 pm

When my child first attended Shichia, I didn't know Mandala was all about either. I even asked the teacher to repeat the word several times cos it didn't sound like English! :oops: But after reading through some of the useful websites like the one mincy mentioned, I was truly...no words to explain... 'wowed'!! ?? - more than impressed. It's something that you see in nature but take for granted. It's about beauty too. And the colouring exercise helps develop patience and muscles for writing.

The activity that Mincy talks about at Shichida - is the one that they use to train photographic memory. One morning while having breakfast with my daughter, I ask her if she could remember the mandala she did the day before (which she did wrongly the first time), and she could recall the colours correctly! I was surprised because I thought it was suppose to train short-term memory! I was pretty diligent on this activity since!

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4900
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:18 pm
Total Likes: 29


ESP abilities

Postby concern2 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:00 am

I think my son has a gift in ESP. He'll get 90% correct answers for ESP during his Shichida classes, and in our daily day-to-day events, he'll say things that amazes my husband and I. Example:
When we go out for dinner, he'll say things like - no, don't go there. When we ask him why, he'll say 'I don't know, just don't go there!' When we arrive, the place would either be crowded or the stall/restaurant would be closed or something else would have happened.

Another instance was when he told me my friend's son doesn't have a certain toy. I didn't believe him cos it's a common toy and we haven't met my friend and family for a long time. When I met up with my friend, his son pointed to the toy on my son's hand and asked 'Mommy, what's that?'. :!:

On the contrary, my daughter doesn't seem to be using her inner senses. When we play ESP games, she'll just point to the picture that looks most appealing to her or simply picks the cards in sequence.

You can tell by the look in their eyes when they are choosing the cards whether they are using their senses. It's amazing to watch them at play.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4900
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:18 pm
Total Likes: 29


PreviousNext

Return to Brain Training & Thinking Skills