Kindle versus IPad

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Which one would you buy for your family?

Total votes : 18

Kindle versus IPad

Postby Guest » Tue May 04, 2010 3:59 pm

Which would you choose to buy for your family or your child for e-books?

My new shelf bursting again.

Postby tankee » Tue May 04, 2010 4:07 pm

if mainly ebooks, then kindles.

Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue May 04, 2010 4:13 pm

tankee wrote:if mainly ebooks, then kindles.

That is why I hesitated on putting ebooks down...

Any other considerations?

Battery life for ipad = 10 hrs, Kindle = 3 weeks! :|

Postby Funz » Tue May 04, 2010 4:39 pm

Personally, I find that they are 2 pretty different products. Price oso very different.

Kindle mainly for ebooks and documents. iPad is like a supped up ipod touch. Music, movies, books, games, pictures, etc. And the lifestyle applications that comes with the Apple products are just amazing. From the silly to the really useful.

I have a kindle and my main grouse is no backlit, which explains the super long battery life(its true it does last that long). Good that there is no backlit as it will not spoil your eyes bad cos I cannot read in bed without having to turn on my reading light which will be too glaring for DH to sleep.

So if budget is not a concern, iPad it is.

Postby life butter well » Tue May 04, 2010 5:04 pm

I have a kindle and love it. It's easy to read--no glare.

There are more adult books available for kindle than children's books. You can download all the classics for free from, but you can't always get the latest bestselling children's books.

life butter well

Postby Guest » Thu May 13, 2010 10:59 pm

Thanks Funz and life butter well for your feedback.

Do you know where I can get a list of the e-books available on Kindle?

Also does Kindle come with some free books? If so, how many and where can I read the titles of these books?

Thank you.

Postby life butter well » Sat May 15, 2010 12:34 am

Look at the Amazon website for most of the books available for Kindle. There are free books available for Kindle on Amazon, but they may not be to your liking--some romances, religious fiction, and a few popular authors trying to get new readers.

For classic stuff, look at . All of the books on this website are free. When you download them, you have the option of downloading them in kindle format.

In fact, you can download the Kindle software for your computer for free. It's on the Amazon website in the "Kindle Store." Then you can download the free books from Amazon and and read them on your computer. On a real kindle there is less glare and you get more of a real book experience, but using the kindle software on your computer will give you a good idea of what it's like.

If you had a real kindle, you could download books from, plug your kindle into your computer, and move them to your kindle in two seconds. It's an easy process.

life butter well

iPad vs. Kindle: Hesitation and comparison

Postby Ebooky » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:40 am

iPad vs. Kindle: Hesitation and comparison.

With the launch of the iPad , many have been proclaiming the death of e-book readers like the Kindle . However, the comparison isn't actually quite so simple and could potentially leave Apple hurting.

Ever since Steve Jobs first announced iBooks for the iPad, pundits have been wondering about the future of the Kindle and similar e-book readers in the face of this new competition.

The iPad is a non-stop source for consuming updated news feeds, is a phenomenal casual web surfing device, is great for viewing and listening to streamed media, has freed me from my desktop for at least 3 or 4 hours during the work week and has allowed me to relax with technology over the weekend and evenings. In that respect, the device has already justified its purpose.

The Kindle DX has free 3G wireless for buying books, but the iPad has 802.11n, and for most common usage, it just isn't that hard to find a place to hook up. Book prices may be a bit higher on the iPad, but they will be in color and multimedia with the promise of moving video, color charts and pictures, and so on. I also consider the on-screen keyboard an advantage for the iPad -- the keyboard on the Kindle is basically a waste of space.

As a travel companion, all you can do on the DX is read, although there is a rudimentary browser, and more functionality coming. Subscriptions are another Kindle selling point, but it's not a stretch to believe that Apple has something like that coming as well. Comparing the iPad to the Kindle DX, I just don't think there is any contest, and Amazon is going to be forced to think about how they are pricing and marketing the Kindle DX.

iPAD FROM APPLE ( Click picture for detailled description )

OK, on to the standard issue Kindle at U.S. $259.00. This decision is a bit trickier. It's about half the cost of the low end iPad, has a smaller screen, but does have built in no-charge 3G. That's mainly for buying books, as web browsing is pretty painful. Once again, books seem a bit cheaper on the Kindle at this stage, but I've noticed prices creeping up. Battery life with wireless off is about 2 weeks, and the iPad can never touch that.
The iPad starts at $499, but if you want data, the price starts going up rather quickly. 3G versions of the device come at a $130 premium (so the cheapest device with 3G is $629), and a data plan costs at least $14.99/month.

KINDLE DX FROM AMAZON ( Click picture for detailled description )

The Kindle, meanwhile, comes with free, worldwide 3G coverage baked in. It doesn’t do nearly as much as the iPad, but it will always be connected without requiring you to shell out a penny more. Because the smaller, 6″ version of the Kindle is priced at $259, and still comes with free, global 3G coverage, the Kindle definitely wins on price.

For the immediate future, Amazon has far more books on offer. Many classic titles for free !!! If you have the smaller Kindle, I would not have anxiety about the iPad if you are mainly a reader. If you have the DX, I'd feel a bit queasy.

The iPad appears to be adequate for light daytime indoor reading, but fails miserably as an outdoor reading device. Vizplex e-Ink readers such as the Kindle, still appear to be much more optimal for long duration reading indoors and outdoors during daytime hours.

It's likely you'll be able to read your Kindle books on the iPad, just as you can on your iPhone or iPod touch, but they'll be black and white, with no rich illustrations.

Easy and fast comparison table of iPAD/Kindle:

The iPad’s battery life, according to Steve Jobs, is an impressive 10 hours, and it has an even more impressive one month of standby time. Still, it’s likely that getting the full 10 hours means doing things that negatively affect the experience (like lowering screen brightness, turning off WiFi, not playing video, etc.). The Kindle, on the other hand, can give you a full week of reading time with wireless on, and two weeks with wireless off.
If all you’re interested in is reading a book, the Kindle might be the better choice, allowing you to take a week-long vacation without bringing the charger. Your iPad might be dead by the time to step off the plane — or even before that, if you’re on a long flight with a few layovers or delays.

If you are searching to buy a wireless reading device check out this useful site:
This site should give you the feedback needed to learn everything you need to know of electronic book readers. I hope my site about wireless reading devices helps you finding the right one. I love this technology.

See you later...

Postby tree nymph » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks for the detail posting! I'm still half-hearted on which one to get

tree nymph

Postby schweppes » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:03 am

tree nymph wrote:Thanks for the detail posting! I'm still half-hearted on which one to get

Make yourself happy!!:dancing: :dancing: Get both lah!! :preen:

Return to Technology & Gadgets