Motherboard faulty?

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Motherboard faulty?

Postby smurf » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:06 am

my lousy HP PC broke down, problem is: motherboard faulty. currently no stock for HP motherboard, so cannot repair. is there any way I can bring it to PC shops such as those in FUNAN centre and ask then shopkeeper to change a new motherboard for me? :?

or must use back HP?? any PC guru here? :?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlurBee » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:16 am

how long u have to wait for the stock? If u can wait & its free of charge, why not?
Mine recently also down due to motherboard faulty & I waited for ~a week.

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby smurf » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:47 am

gotta wait for 1 MONTH leh, and it's not free...motherboard is $145, and labour charge is $85. worth it?? :?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlurBee » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:34 am

OIC. :oops:

Maybe can try Sim Lim Sq.

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Motherboard faulty?

Postby titank » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:17 pm

smurf wrote:my lousy HP PC broke down, problem is: motherboard faulty. currently no stock for HP motherboard, so cannot repair. is there any way I can bring it to PC shops such as those in FUNAN centre and ask then shopkeeper to change a new motherboard for me? :?

Maybe you bring to Sim Lim Square ask those Indian Shop where they can provide you a mother board at a good price. Don't have to go back to HP if there is no more warranty.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:32 am

I asked the HP guy (from service centre), whether must buy their motherboard (cos it's a HP PC), he said MUST. other motherboard wouldn't work. is it true?? any PC guru here, pls help! :pray:

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Motherboard faulty?

Postby smurf » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:38 am

titank wrote:
smurf wrote:my lousy HP PC broke down, problem is: motherboard faulty. currently no stock for HP motherboard, so cannot repair. is there any way I can bring it to PC shops such as those in FUNAN centre and ask then shopkeeper to change a new motherboard for me? :?

Maybe you bring to Sim Lim Square ask those Indian Shop where they can provide you a mother board at a good price. Don't have to go back to HP if there is no more warranty.

but but, those indian shop would do the repair for me? cos I no PC guru, dunno how to change. :oops:

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BigDevil » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:40 pm

If you bring to those shop that sells self-assembled PCs, they should be able to help you. BTW, how old is your PC?

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby Way2GO » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:00 pm

smurf wrote:I asked the HP guy (from service centre), whether must buy their motherboard (cos it's a HP PC), he said MUST. other motherboard wouldn't work. is it true?? any PC guru here, pls help! :pray:

Smurf, this sounds like hokum! HP don't make their own motherboards unless your HP PC has motherboard made to HP specifications.

If still under warranty, then let HP handle it.
If not and you are really a klutz in PC hardware, it is better to bring it to a PC shop that sells, assembles, and repairs PCs. There are many in SIM LIM Square.

If you have some PC knowledge, it is not really difficult to change the motherboard yourself. Remove and take your faulty motherboard to the shop - they can advise you on the replacement motherboard. All the instructions are in the package. But it can be time consuming if you are doing it the first time.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:04 pm

Smurf, BigD asked a good question: How old is your HP PC?
If old, it will be difficult to get an equivalent motherboard.
The newer motherboard will probably necessitate changing the chip as well.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets