any view on having computer class for K1

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

any view on having computer class for K1

Postby Mandie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:29 pm

My daughter's church Kindy has an optional computer class conducted by outside vendor within the school hour, it is an hour program. Altho it says optional, but the school encourages all the kids to sign up as there is no other activities for the kids who do not go for the computer class.

Personally I do not wish my kid to start using computer at this early age, did not do much research to support my view, simply think kids should play more or read more books which printed in paper. And computer is something that no one will not know how to use it when they need to use it. And, kids are easily been hooked by computer and maybe lazy to write or draw using pencial once they know computer can do the same job.

Any one has similar encounter in Kindy? I was told most of the kindy has computer class as to get the kids ready for P1 where they need to use computer to do projects. Am I over concern about the nagative impact? Thanks in advance for sharing..

Mandie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sleepy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:58 pm

My girl's kindy has computer class. It's optional too.
The kids will do some craft work if not taking computer class.

I didn't sign her up because I do not see much value add.
I allow my kids access to computer at home, to surf some websites or play games for a block of 20 minutes twice a week
Last edited by sleepy on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: any view on having computer class for K1

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:02 pm

Mandie wrote:...Personally I do not wish my kid to start using computer at this early age, did not do much research to support my view, simply think kids should play more or read more books which printed in paper...

If you take a more pragmatic view, the computer is no different from a book or newspaper, pen and notebook, desktop. It is merely a tool. The only question is what you use the tool for, and that is something you can control.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Mandie » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:22 am

thanks for sharing, you has your point. Anyway, i signed her up today, will see how it goes. Hope she doesn't waste my money :wink:

Mandie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby schellen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:01 pm

Computer classes are very common in childcare and they are mostly optional, I think.

I didn't sign my daughter up for any computer class even though she did ask for it a few times but my husband and I suspected that it was because she wanted to be with her friends.

Anyway, what they teach her in that class, we can teach her too and much more. Plus, we can observe and supervise her and see how she uses the computer. (Maybe can predict whether she will be future addict like me. haha) At least we know that she doesn't only use it for games and can also use other programs like e-mail and word processor.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Technology & Gadgets