Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Printer Recommendation!

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Re: Printer Recommendation!

Postby MyPillow » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:08 pm

My Brother laser print outputs show lines, coming to 2 yrs. just change cartridge. Is it drum problem, should I diy change drum or buy a new one..? Din expect home laser printer life span also not long. mine is reasonable usage only, bw laser print.

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zappy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:49 am

If the lines are vertical, you can check or just clean the drum to see if there are any clumps of dried toner.

If the lines are horizontal, then you can measure the repeating distance between them. Different rollers inside the mechanism has different diameters, causing the defect to be repeated at a fixed distance. Your manual should have info on what component is defective (or needs some cleaning) based on that repeating distance.

Also, if yours is a B&W laser printer, I believe most of these uses an integrated cartridge which has a drum inside already. You cannot just change the drum - you simply change out the entire cartridge. Just make sure that there isn't anything else wrong first before you go and buy the expensive cartridge replacement and then find out that it's actually something else causing the problem.

Zappy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MyPillow » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:06 am

Zappy, thks for the info . Will check again - the brand is “brother”

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zappy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:20 am

MyPillow wrote:Zappy, thks for the info . Will check again - the brand is “brother”

Not just the brand. You need to check the model as well.
Each model may use different cartridge models and therefore they may have different diameters for each of the rollers, eg. drum roller, transfer roller, etc. So it is model specific.

My advice is before you run out to buy these very expensive consumables, do the quick troubleshooting first. Many times, you can resolve most of it simply by cleaning or something simple.
https://support.brother.ca/app/answers/ ... quality%3F

Zappy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MyPillow » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:37 pm

MyPillow wrote:Zappy, thks for the info . Will check again - the brand is “brother”

update:
dh tested, the lines were vertical
he bought fr online compatible ink cartridge and new drum ( for this brother printers, the drum are separated) . After changed , It worked well now.

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rhyme » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:42 pm

I have used both HP and Canon printers over the years. They served me quite well and I guess for a first time user HP printer seems to be the safest bet. Although I would love to try out some other alternatives like a solar powered printer.

rhyme
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby phtthp » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:50 am

anyone know where to buy ink printer cartridge, in Johore Bahru ? Thanks

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:29 pm

printer had to give way suddenly :rant: it kept prompting 'carriage jam'. I did all the steps advised by hp website.

went to popular to get another one just now. hp model. $59 promotional price. the staff from popular recommended the Epson model but since I am not a heavy user, the hp one will do. my printers die every 4 years.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Previous

Return to Technology & Gadgets

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres