Convert VHS to DVD or Video Recording Software

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Convert VHS to DVD or Video Recording Software

Postby BigDevil » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:13 am

My mom managed to dig out several tapes containing footages of my dearly-departed grandparents.
I would like to convert them to DVD for better storage.

I know there are people offering such services, but they cost a bomb!

Anyone has any idea how to DIY?

Aside from a VHS player :roll: , I guess I will need some sort of video input card for my PC to take in the video coming from the player.
But what is a good (and free) video recording software?

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby BlurBee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:03 am

:idea: I thot u r an IT expert also?

How many of us have VCR player now? :D

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BeContented » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi,
I will be following this thread ...... as I'm also looking to convert all the video of my DS & DD. It's all taken in 2000 - 2003. Afraid that they will all turn mouldy soon.

I have also enquired, it's gonna cost me a bomb as I have ~15 tapes (each 1.5 hours). Probably 50% of the footage are useless but without ability to view them myself, I have to convert the whole tape.

Looking forward to see some progress here. Thanks

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:03 pm

a cheap and easy way is to get a DVD recorder appliance and hook up your VHS player to it.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby BigDevil » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:30 pm

BlurBee wrote::idea: I thot u r an IT expert also?

Aiyo...cannot claim to be expert lah...also got areas not familiar mah. :oops:

How many of us have VCR player now? :D

That's why must do it soon before the last of my mom's VCR goes kaput.
:lol:

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby BigDevil » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:31 pm

tankee wrote:a cheap and easy way is to get a DVD recorder appliance and hook up your VHS player to it.

:slapshead: why didn't I think of that!

Ok...will give that a try.

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:37 pm

BigD, I kaypo and emailed my sons' Godpa who is an expert in this field with your question and this is his answer, but please, don't ask me anything. :oops: :oops: I am IT idiot and I don't know what he is talking about! :oops:

I cut and pasted your question and emailed him and here's his reply, also cut and paste here. Mind you, I do not understand a single thing he said, :oops: :oops: so if you have any questions, put it here, and I will ask him again! His reply is as follows :

You will need a PCI capture card or USB stick, to transfer from composite
video to VCD or DVD.

Have a look at:
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/u ... r+Plus.htm

You can get the above from Fuwell at Sim Lim Square @ $99.00
Have attached their price list for reference. (see page 3 - TV/Video
Capture Card)

He even attached a price list from Fuwell. PM with your email address if you are interested and I will forward the list to you. :celebrate:

Postby BeContented » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:09 pm

Hi 25hourmaid,
very nice of you :)

BigDevil,
hope you dun mind.....if you are trying and successful, can let me know?
If you are willing and price reasonable, perhaps once y ou are done with your videos, I can rent the equipments from you to convert my own recordings too :) I dun have a desktop at home (only a slow laptop) ....and dun know how to fix up, so quite IT idiot and has been procrastinating.......
Currently, all my tapes are in the high8, video8 etc (only know it's the small 8mm stuff)....dun even know if there's any adaptor to play it anymore.

Thanks.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:50 pm

You are most welcome, cwc. Not sure if the info provided is useful though. Have to wait for BigD to come online to see if the info provided is really useful since I am an IT idiot where such things are concerned. :P

My sons' Godpa loves to 'play around' with such gadgets, so when I first saw this thread, I knew I would be able to get some advice from him and true enough, he responded with some info! :love:

Postby BeContented » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:02 pm

25hourmaid wrote:You are most welcome, cwc. Not sure if the info provided is useful though. Have to wait for BigD to come online to see if the info provided is really useful since I am an IT idiot where such things are concerned. :P

My sons' Godpa loves to 'play around' with such gadgets, so when I first saw this thread, I knew I would be able to get some advice from him and true enough, he responded with some info! :love:

Hi 25hourmaid,
I do believe the info is somewhat correct. I remembered enquiring a few years back....but there were all sorts of cards with different pricing plus my desktop was a DIY, so even more considerations. Most important, not IT savvy enough, so afraid if it doesn't work, all the $ wasted :wink:

Now hoping BigD knows.....then got hope liao :) Anyway, still a big thanks.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets