Addiction to computer games

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Addiction to computer games

Postby barbie88 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:27 am

My sons are highly addicted to computer games, in fact, I think it became an obsession for them now. I restricted the hours they can play by locking up the computer and ipad. They have tried all sorts of method to lay their hands on the computer, like stealing my drawer's keys and waking up at midnight to play till 2-3am, used screw driver to break into my drawer when I'm away on overseas trip. Yesterday, I just discovered that both of them went to play at an internet cafe about 10 minutes away from home. Told the maid that they were going downstairs to play soccer.

I'm really at my wits end on how to curb this obsession. Can someone pl help.

barbie88
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:20 am

they need counselling, brute controls won't work
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:17 pm

This topic shld go to Working with your Child

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby snowman.697 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:14 pm

this ish first hand experience... instead of locking the comp up you should talk to them patiently to know their reason. scolding and removing the privilege will make them even more rebellious up to the point when you have absolutely no control. besides, if you don't explain to them, when they grow up and move away, can you imagine what will happen? sometimes punishment isn't always the best solution to a problem.

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby samuelarnold » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:25 pm

You can change your child from this addiction. Help your child replace gaming with healthy activities such as team sports, scouts, hobbies and clubs. Encourage social interaction with peers.

samuelarnold
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Addiction to computer games

Postby tamarind » Sun May 01, 2011 10:09 am

Sharing this good article :

http://chris.pirillo.com/how-to-beat-vi ... addiction/
How to Beat Video Game Addiction

Video games are great fun, and sometimes it’s ok to go on a “gaming binge.” At some point, though, you need to stop yourself. When that time has come, admit that you’ve got a problem and cut it out completely.

Admit you have a problem- As cliche or cheesy as it may sound, the first step to recovery is to admit to yourself and others that you have a problem. Use the beginning sentence of this article as a starter.

Identify the problem Is it a particular game that you’re addicted to? Is it a genre of games? Be sure to find out exactly what it is that you’re addicted to.

Identify the triggers Triggers are mental and physical cues that cause you to want to indulge in your addiction, namely play games. Try and figure out what kind of things makes you want to play video games. Maybe its a particular website that you go to online that starts your video gaming frenzy. Maybe it’s being around certain people that make you crave a game or two. Do your best to figure out what kind of triggers make you want to play games.

Plan out your recovery Quitting video games cold turkey might seem like the best way to stop your addiction, but in reality, most people fail trying to quit completely. Your best plan would be to gradually wean yourself away from video games. Make yourself an ending date of when you want to be completely free from video games. Then, create steps to that ending date, with mini-goals that you want to achieve. For example, instead of playing for 20+ hours a week, try cutting it down to 18+ hours a week, and so on. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t reach your goals! Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day, and your addiction won’t go away overnight.

Carry out your plan Start working on executing your plan. If you find out that your plan is too hard, then ease it up a bit. If you discover that your ending date happens to be the release date of Starcraft 2, postpone your ending date so you can indulge instead of potentially becoming an addict again. Whatever you do, be flexible with your options, but stick to your plan at all costs.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Sun May 01, 2011 10:12 am

http://www.ehow.com/how_5046854_stop-vi ... ction.html
How to Stop Video Game Addiction

First, recognize that you have an addiction. Others around you can tell you that you are addicted, but if you don't see it then you won't take the steps to change. Below are some ways to identify game addiction.
1. Are you playing at least 10 hours a day?
2. Are your school grades suffering?
3. When you wake up in the morning, Is playing a game first on your list?
4. Are you constantly staying up late playing a game?
5. If your a minor, do you sneak to play your game in the middle of the nite?
6. Are you skipping your homework?

Once you recognize your addiction, the next thing that you need to do is prioritize your time. No on expects you to just stop playing video games. Understand that it will take time. Start off with baby steps. Cut back on time spent playing a game. Time management is the best way to prioritize. Make a list or use an organize planner to plan your task. Important tasks should always be at the top of the list. Video games is at the bottom.

When you have free time and you decide to play a game, start of by playing for only 2 hours. Set a alarm if you have to. Also, you might want to stay away from other gamers and focus on controlling your time spent alone. Try replacing your gaming hours with another hobbie on certain days. There are plenty of hobbies you can do besides video games; such as, playing a sport,reading,walking,talking with family, and etc.

Discipline yourself to stick to it. It takes 21 days to break a habit! It's cool to play video games, but don't let it consume too much of your time.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Sun May 01, 2011 10:16 am

Of course, prevention is much better than cure.

Parents who have kids below 10 years old, instead of giving them the PSP, iPads, computers to play games, give them toys like these which are much more interesting :

http://www.knex.com/
http://www.infinitoy.com/zoob/
http://www.elenco.com/snapcircuits.html

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re:

Postby smartmummy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:43 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:they need counselling, brute controls won't work

I agree with u.
My son always asking to buy PSB.I just keep postponing cos I scared if he'll become addict. Usually he plays in computer,he will play more than one hour.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby notakidnoraparent » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:37 pm

Gaming is quite the next big thing for every kids now. I even see like toddlers hounding their parents cos they want to play with the Iphone. Heck! It even got to my grandma. She uses Ipad to play bejewelled.

What I am trying to bring across here is that, gaming will hit any kind of people regardless of age. Its the same as just doing your favourite thing or hobby. It is only viewed as unhealthy because to parents, it just looks like sitting there and not moving. Not much difference from a corpse.

Not trying to be smart or anything, but might I ask what difference is it from sitting in front of the TV and watching for an hour or two? I have to admit. I am an avid gamer myself. My parents constantly hound me about quitting gaming. Till now, I have not quit.

I think parents have to sit down and seriously think about this.

What really is gaming addiction?

If my memory serves me right, an addiction is only bad to the point when it starts to affect your health and mental state. Personally, I believe that parents now are actually making a mountain out of a molehill. If playing daily for about 3 hours is an addiction then I think parents should count their blessings if they hadn't met a real gamer addict.

Now those gamer addicts are really hardcore. They can forgo food and sleep for like a few days. Those are what I call addiction. Doing something that is detrimental to your health is called an addiction. Of cos, one must not take lightly towards the responsibility of a child, which is to study and get decent enough results or at least results up to your preferred standard.

But I believe that when a child grows up old enough and mature enough, he will be able to judge what is important and what isn't. If upon reaching a certain age and your child isn't mature enough to know that, then perhaps he needs the professional help. Or at the very least check to see if your child is sane enough to know his priorities before you bring him to the professional.

For me, my parents were really fed up with me cos I was playing games at home most of the time. I was in the army, and seriously, other than booking into camp and coming home at night, there was really nothing much else to do. Watching TV? There are no interesting shows and besides, I can pretty much find any show online. So what is there to do at home? So I only passed my time playing online games with my friends. I am someone who strongly believes that time well spent is only when you are doing something you truly enjoy. Sure, to you it might be a waste of time. But during that time, I am happy. What say you? Is it a waste of time to me?

Now that I am in uni, I am logical enough to know that gaming isn't my priority anymore. (For me at least.) I do occasionally play games but its usually when I have nothing to do and during the weekends. It really depends on the subject himself. So as long he finds a goal or something more interesting than games, I am sure he will spend less time on it.

I believe parents should not go as far as to tell his child to completely quit playing games if it is the child's hobby. It is about the same to ask you to completely stop going doing your hobby just because your parents deem it as a waste of time. So stop stereotyping and saying that gaming is bad. It isn't. It is only as bad as you decide it to be. Put it simply, its like the usage of vulgar words. It is only bad when the true intention of the word is bad. Other than that, I don't see how vulgar words are actually bad.

notakidnoraparent
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets