any advice on iMac or macbook

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

any advice on iMac or macbook

Postby mamii » Wed May 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi, any mac users can enlighten me ? I am getting a new notebook and thinking to give Mac a try. I have no idea how the OS for Mac works and since i dont need to do any spreadsheet or documents (i am SAHM) and i basically just use it for internet and email and storing lots of photo of DS and DD, and the Mac seems to be able to do a lot of photo editing and stuff (i have no idea how to do photo editing by the way, not even photoshop)

I saw the iMac with the 21" monitor, looks really good but thinking maybe too big. I was at the epi center and felt that the whole thing was really hot to the touch.

For space saving I was looking at the macbook or macbook pro, but have not figure out what is the difference - i guess it is the specs ?

My questions :

1. which would suit my needs ? search the web and seems that iMac seems more popular. Is the battery on macbook reliable ?
2. is there any free workshop for new users to learn how to operate the mac ?
3. what is iworks ? does the mac comes with simple spreadsheet and document program which i dont have to pay (iworks is not free right ?) in the event that i need to do some simple work ?
4. on the whole is mac easy to use ?

sorry for the long post, really appreciate some advice. many thanks in advance

mamii
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: any advice on iMac or macbook

Postby Warr » Wed May 18, 2011 9:49 pm

I am surprised this post did not become 10 miles long! Usually questions about Mac get a lot of responses! :)

For you kind of usage, ANY computer would do, actually. Dell has some nice computers in many colours if that is your fancy.

For your questions:
My questions :

1. which would suit my needs ? search the web and seems that iMac seems more popular. Is the battery on macbook reliable ?
Ans: You are asking whether iMac or MacBook is better for you? That depends. Do you want to carry it around? Then u need a notebook type, which would be MacBook or the latest hoo-ha... MacBook Air.
Battery life is good for Macs, but make sure you double check against what you need. Slim looking beauties usually have shorter batter life.

2. is there any free workshop for new users to learn how to operate the mac ?
Ans: Ouch! That is a touchy question since most Mac advocates tell you that the Macs are designed such that you do not even need to think to use it! heh heh... check your neighbourhood CC. Usually they have Mac classes, or some other CC if the one near your home does not.

3. what is iworks ? does the mac comes with simple spreadsheet and document program which i dont have to pay (iworks is not free right ?) in the event that i need to do some simple work ?
Ans: Depending on what you bought, most Macs should already have word processor, spreadsheet and so on... but again, best to double check against the specifications of what you buy. Macs are quite safe in the sense that no matter where you go, you get pretty much the same thing. Same specs, same high price. :) iWorks is a suite of applications. Most Mac users I know claim that life is not worth living if you don't have iWorks on your Mac. But then, I have a Mac, it dun have iWorks. heh heh...

4. on the whole is mac easy to use ?
Ans: Yes. It used to be easier. But it is really easy to learn how to use if you are not going for the "advanced" stuff. If you are happy to be locked into the Mac world, then Mac + iPod + iPhone... perfect combination. WARNING: don't try to mix and match if you don't have a degree in rocket science. :)

Hope this helps

Warr
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby linden2000 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:57 pm

Was considering getting a MacBook earlier but correct me if I am wrong, understand that Mac does not support Internet Explorer? It does support Firefox n Safari but some websites do require IE to work.

linden2000
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mamii » Fri May 20, 2011 1:02 pm

linden2000 wrote:Was considering getting a MacBook earlier but correct me if I am wrong, understand that Mac does not support Internet Explorer? It does support Firefox n Safari but some websites do require IE to work.

hi linden, so you did not get the macbook in the end ? so that means there is no way of accessing those websites other via another PC right ? thanks for highlighting this cos i had no idea about it.

mamii
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Fri May 20, 2011 1:24 pm

mamii wrote:
linden2000 wrote:Was considering getting a MacBook earlier but correct me if I am wrong, understand that Mac does not support Internet Explorer? It does support Firefox n Safari but some websites do require IE to work.

hi linden, so you did not get the macbook in the end ? so that means there is no way of accessing those websites other via another PC right ? thanks for highlighting this cos i had no idea about it.

That's not true. The Mac comes with Safari, but you can download other internet browsers - internet explorer for mac, firefox etc. The difficulty in accessing some sites is browser specific, not Mac specific. So when you come to these sites (which are very few - I can't remember the last time I encountered one), you just use your firefox or internet explorer.

I used to think Mac was very difficult to use too, and that there would be loads of problems with apps. But, you know what, now I only use mac. DH and I only use windows-based laptops/PCs at work. at home, it's only Mac. And you can really see the difference. e.g. When I have my mac, i turn it on and it's on. When I use my work laptop, I turn it on, then still have time to go make coffee and toast...there are other things, Mac is less vulnerable to viruses, don't break down as much, the user-interface is a lot friendlier than a windows-PC.

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby mamii » Fri May 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi Warr, thanks for answering my questions. wow 10 miles long .. meaning lots of interests or lots of fans out there.

I am not an apple fan, i dont own an iphone or ipod. My 1st apple product was the ipad, and it was easy to use. I was not looking at the iMac or macbook when searching for a notebook, as many now are under 1k. i am not too concern with the design as long as it does not look terrible or work awkwardly. I was just passing by the apple counter and browsing at the ipad2 when DH suggested the iMac as the screen looks so good and neat ! that got me thinking ....

after watching the demo on apple website, i really like what i saw on the iphoto .. cos currently my photos are a mess, and i was told can do lots of photo editing .. not sure if i will eventually be doing it ..

portability is not an issue since i do not move my notebook, if i need to search the web i use the ipad. but the iMac is too big for my comfort i mean the screen seem to be screaming at you when you are doing work right in front of it.

great to know our CCs offer course for Mac, will surely check the website.

by the way, what are the cons that sales staff will not tell you about the Mac ? I think i am quite sure of getting either the iMac or macbook, just wants to know what to be aware of since it is going to last me for a few years and dont want to regret not sticking to windows. nor do i want to tear my hair out trying to figure out how to operate the thing.

thanks again

mamii
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mamii » Fri May 20, 2011 1:38 pm

MummyThreeStreams wrote:
mamii wrote:

That's not true. The Mac comes with Safari, but you can download other internet browsers - internet explorer for mac, firefox etc. The difficulty in accessing some sites is browser specific, not Mac specific. So when you come to these sites (which are very few - I can't remember the last time I encountered one), you just use your firefox or internet explorer.

I used to think Mac was very difficult to use too, and that there would be loads of problems with apps. But, you know what, now I only use mac. DH and I only use windows-based laptops/PCs at work. at home, it's only Mac. And you can really see the difference. e.g. When I have my mac, i turn it on and it's on. When I use my work laptop, I turn it on, then still have time to go make coffee and toast...there are other things, Mac is less vulnerable to viruses, don't break down as much, the user-interface is a lot friendlier than a windows-PC.

Hi mummythreestreams, correct me if i am wrong, so that means those websites that required IE to work can see be viewed using the safari and firefox right ?

i just remembered, what about flash player ? i remember not able to view some amazon product video on my ipad as it does not support flash player.

my first encounter with Mac was many years ago temping at an advertising firm, but i had no idea how it works cos there was no work for me and i was not allowed to use the mac to surf the net, so i only sat at my desk from 9 to 5 collecting dust. i resigned after 1 week.

thanks

mamii
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Fri May 20, 2011 2:41 pm

mamii wrote:
Hi mummythreestreams, correct me if i am wrong, so that means those websites that required IE to work can see be viewed using the safari and firefox right ?

i just remembered, what about flash player ? i remember not able to view some amazon product video on my ipad as it does not support flash player.

my first encounter with Mac was many years ago temping at an advertising firm, but i had no idea how it works cos there was no work for me and i was not allowed to use the mac to surf the net, so i only sat at my desk from 9 to 5 collecting dust. i resigned after 1 week.

thanks

Like I said, I don't have a problem with websites on my iMac. If I do encounter a safari related problem, I just use my firefox browser. (used to have IE, but firefox was better). But maybe I don't visit that many websites. do ask the sales people before you buy. Get them to explain it to you. I'm not good with the technical details.

iMac is compatible with adobe flash player. It's just an iPad thing. I have more problems visiting sites with my iPad than with my iMac.

i have the big big iMac. It needs some getting used to. But it's great for photos and watching shows! :)

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby mamii » Tue May 24, 2011 2:46 pm

thanks mummythreestreams, i got what you mean. Yeah went to ask about the flashplayer at epi center and was told it is not available for ipad and iphone, so no problem for imac. hee i like the big screen too for the photos, they look so good...

mamii
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Tue May 24, 2011 7:57 pm

No problem! Have fun Mac shopping!

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets