What are you doing with your Legomindstorm NXT kit ?

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

What are you doing with your Legomindstorm NXT kit ?

Postby cimman » Mon May 23, 2011 11:31 am

recently got a Lego Mindstorm for my kid. I must say it is a kit full of potential. I browse through the web to get some ideas on how to use the kit and came up with a lot of possibilities. Here's what I discovered:

a) Lego kits are great for learning about vehicle power train systems. There are normal differential gears, limited slip differential gears, cams, etc... You can even build your own engine block with pneumatics and get it to turn 5000 rpm. Off roader vehicles belong to this category. They need differential gears to get through rough terrain. You get to learn what is 4 wheel drive, front wheel drive, back wheel drive.

b) There are line following robots that follows a painted line. Typically this involves one to two light sensors. Kids needs to understand deeper levels of programing to manipulate data variables.

c) There are self balancing robots, typically using a gyro sensor to sense the balance point and knowledge on control systems theory, i.e PID control theory.

d) There are biped robots. These robots walk on 2 legs with just 2 motors. This requires more kinematics knowledge than software programming expertise. Builders needs to understand how the gears and axis of motions can help the robot move by shifting it's center of gravity.

e) There are football playing robots. There are algorithms to sense the ball and to keep the ball in play. Focus is on software programming here.

f) Fun robots. These are robots that don't require complex programming or deep understanding of Kinematics. They just shoots things out and are just great fun to play with. You do need to understand basic flow control in programming. A great first step for someone new in Robotics.

g) Pneumatics robots. These are robots powered by pneumatics. You need a tank of compressed air for this to work. Air compressors can be built out of lego parts. You can even build Water pumps out of pneumatic parts. I was initially puzzled at how this was done without one way valves. Then I figured it out, Air occupies space :slapshead: the famous answer for a lot of science questions on Matter-Air. Forget about the ballon experiment to illustrate this concept, build the water pump and the kid will understand it a lot better.

Do chip in on fun projects you're doing with your kids.

The only problem I find with Lego Mindstorm is their support. The Lego Mindstorm division in Singapore is under the Lego Education division. They only provide support to schools. However, Lego Mindstorm is sold in the Retail division to consumers, but Retail do not provide support for Mindstorm. So if you need support, and you're not in a school capacity, you're screwed. No support, no replacement parts, no add on parts for you.

Just a note here on my observation. This part of the forum is rather dead. Not much activity going on here. Wonder why ?

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: What are you doing with your Legomindstorm NXT kit ?

Postby sweetbaby » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:58 pm

hi

where did you purchase mindstorm?

sweetbaby
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lapapillion » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:33 am

sweetbaby wrote:hi

where did you purchase mindstorm?

You can check out those lego specialty stores like bricks world, one of the bigger online/physical stores in Singapore. I knew the boss, friendly ang moh guy. There's also secret chamber, located here and there. I know there's one in Parkway parade.

Simply toys and toys hunt are another few that you can find ;) Not cheap though, lol

lapapillion
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby timtamfan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Unfortunately it's more or less a white elephant most of the time. Initially we built several projects that were available on the website, then tinkered around a bit to modify the functions and control. Kids lost interest after a while. Not to say that it's not a good educational tool (it's great really) but I think you need some companion-builders such as the school robotics club to make it more fun.

As for the vehicle power train system, another tool to learn is the remote control car kits (e.g. Tamiya 1/10 models). That is a more specific tool to learn mechanics. I don't think the Minestorms motor can achieve those speeds.

timtamfan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby laughingcat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:21 pm

Anybody bought Lego Mindstorm from TaoBao? Are they genuine lego?

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby akdwivedi » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:02 pm

My kids have started the robotics in CCA. I want to buy one, but too expensive. Does anyone has a set which your kids are not using, I would like to get one.. Please PM me or whatsapp/text at 9061 7175.

akdwivedi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby scang » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:20 pm

You can buy online at a much lower price as compared to the official distributor here in SG.
And even cheaper for the older NxT models.

As the NxT is no longer the model in production as it is the 2nd generation model, you should find it at a much lower price.
The current model is EV3, which is more powerful, and has much more features and functions.

scang
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Return to Technology & Gadgets