Digital Camera advice needed

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Digital Camera advice needed

Postby sashimi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm looking to buy a new digicam, preferably around $300, max I will go is $400. My main aims are:

1) To take pictures of my DD, who on many an occasion cannot stand still.
2) To take pictures of my DD with me.
3) To try to take pictures of my DW with DD.
4) To take pictures on holiday.
5) To take pictures of my model kits (i.e. need some macro).

I.e..... need a good family-oriented camera, I guess. I've read all sorts of things about face detection, smile detection, face make-up etc. I'm not sure if these are genuinely useful or just marketing gimmicks.

Anyway, can anyone recommend? Thanks!

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby daisyt » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:03 pm

hi sashimi, you can try to read more in this forum. http://www.clubsnap.com/

Basically nowadays, most instant camera are more or less the same. If you are taking photos of young children in action, to capture their special moment, eg. a funny face they suddenly make, instant camera might not be fast enough. Other than that, most instant cameras should able to perform your needs. For macro, depends on how close up you are taking.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby s00s_dad » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:26 am

You want to check out www.dpreview.com
So far I have been reading their review and found them quite good.

s00s_dad
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sashimi » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:50 am

Thanks, you two - but, I'm more than aware of websites and forums with reviews, etc. The problem is that there are too many of them, and many are too full of information to be useful. Info overload. That's the problem with these gadget expert websites, they are too informative, detailing every little thing, 80% of which I have no time to read, 50% of which I don't understand or care for...

So to cut a long story short, I need a personalized recommendation for a camera model (or two). : ) That's why I specifically posted here, hoping to find a fellow parent who can share a recommendation based on his/her personal use of a camera for family purposes. :)

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby s00s_dad » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:51 pm

Personally I still prefer Canon. Currently I am using my old IXUS 800IS and I am quite happy with the photo quality.
Recently my colleague had bought the IXUS 95IS and I find the picture are quite sharp too. It cost about $300+. You may consider it.

s00s_dad
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby super_dad » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:38 am

check out the Lumix range. They are quite popular and are easy to use. However, may be a bit out of the price range.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nightsky87 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:44 pm

Panasonic Lumix FX series. One of the better PnS cameras out there. I think that price range should be able to get the FX36, of which the more important and relevant features include

Panasonic Intelligent Auto, IA (anti shake),
25mm wide lens (great for party/group shots)
HD video recording 16:9 720p (woohoo!)

8)

nightsky87
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby hquek » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:16 pm

Hi Sashimi,

I would recommend Panasonic TZ series. it's a bit bulky, but has very good optical zoom and it is wide range (more things in the picture).

I'm using TZ3, happy with it but of course will take the next chance to upgrade to the later models.

Long winded details below. Have fun with your purchase!

---------------------------------------
The following are very important to me to consider (in the order provided):
1. Price
2. Bulkiness
3. Zoom (look for optical zoom, digital no use)
4. Anti shake (my hands always tremble)
5. Low light
6. Video zooming (some don't allow you to zoom when you are recording video, quite sian when recording child's actions/performances).

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sashimi » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:35 pm

Hey thanks a lot everyone - I already bought the camera. :)

Panasonic is always high on my list as it is a brand I have absolute trust in, but most of the models that fit my needs were way over my budget. Including the LXes, the FX38 (which is now obsolete I guess, after the other day's big advert for the FX48).

If I found a Panasonic (was also considering Canon) that was within budget, its functions would pale in comparison to the camera I finally bought.

(Incidently as a busy family man I'm not at all into running around looking for the best deals, I really hate doing that these days.)

So anyway, I settled for the Casio Exilim Z300 - it was $399 at Harvey Norman, had a lot of features dedicated to capturing family pics and moving kids, for touristy needs and was essentially a point-and-shoot too. 28mm wide angle, 4x optical zoom, etc. - really great set of features for <400.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nightsky87 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:48 pm

congrats on your new purchase! I think at the end of the day, what counts is the timeless moments captured in the camera that's important. Black cat white cat, can catch mice is a good cat, no? :lol:

nightsky87
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets