MacBook Air Vs MacBook Pro

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

MacBook Air Vs MacBook Pro

Postby Funx3 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:13 pm

Hi,

My Gal's Sch has specify either one of Above for use in their Year 1 IP Prog.
And Parents Gotta Buy Either One for our kid.

Vendor spec 13" ....

1st Consideration :
Apart from the Weight Issue, MB Air is Lighter at 1.35kg (Compared to 2.04kg for MB Pro),

What R the Things We shd Look out for when considering?

2nd Consideration :
Some one Highlighted that MB Air has no disc drive, but others say can use thumb drive instead.

Can Fellow Techies Brota and sista Comment?

Funx3
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: MacBook Air Vs MacBook Pro

Postby tankee » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:20 am

CPU is different

Air is core i5 1.6GHz or 1.7 GHz whereas Pro is core i5 2.4GHz or core i7 2.8 GHz

Storage is also different

Air uses flash memory, which is faster but smaller capacity
Pro uses hard disk, which is relatively slower but larger capacity

And I think Pro has better graphics.

So it really depends what your child is going to use it for.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Tinkerbelle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:32 am

Funx3 wrote:Hi,

My Gal's Sch has specify either one of Above for use in their Year 1 IP Prog.
And Parents Gotta Buy Either One for our kid.

Vendor spec 13" ....

1st Consideration :
Apart from the Weight Issue, MB Air is Lighter at 1.35kg (Compared to 2.04kg for MB Pro),

What R the Things We shd Look out for when considering?

2nd Consideration :
Some one Highlighted that MB Air has no disc drive, but others say can use thumb drive instead.

Can Fellow Techies Brota and sista Comment?

Hi Funx3,
I'm not IT savvy but I was at the Apple store and the staff mentioned you can use thumb drive to save documents with the MB Air. However, because it doesn't have a built-in disc drive, you can't access CD-Rom or download certain applications from CDs.

To overcome this problem, you'll need to buy an external disc drive (which cost $90 plus) and connect it to the MB Air if you need to use CD- rom. Having said that, I'm not sure if the gals need to access CD-rom for the 1:1 prog. :scratchhead: Might check with them tomorrow.

Tinkerbelle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funx3 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:38 am

Thanks tankee!

U R Right, My Boy Told Me Just Now he Prefers MB Pro, Say the Hard Disk is easily Replaceable. While that for MB Air is Not.
Maybe Also Becoz He's into Animation staff. And Maya, 3D Rendering, etc. :wink: :wink:

But For Sec Sch Kids, I Guess the Usage is More on Internet Search, Access sch / MOE Resources, HW, Project + Presentation (since they recommend Office Software) ....

So Which MB is suitable?

Funx3
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SunBrazen » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:22 pm

My school also gives the option of MacBook Pro or Macbook Air, I would have to say MBP because of the reasons Tankee stated. Btw what school is ur girl in?

SunBrazen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Funx3 wrote:Thanks tankee!

U R Right, My Boy Told Me Just Now he Prefers MB Pro, Say the Hard Disk is easily Replaceable. While that for MB Air is Not.
Maybe Also Becoz He's into Animation staff. And Maya, 3D Rendering, etc. :wink: :wink:

But For Sec Sch Kids, I Guess the Usage is More on Internet Search, Access sch / MOE Resources, HW, Project + Presentation (since they recommend Office Software) ....

So Which MB is suitable?

For Internet Search, Access sch / MOE Resources, HW, Project + Presentation (since they recommend Office Software) .... Air is good enough.

But for animation and multimedia rendering/editing, better get pro.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby merlionkid » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:23 pm

MBA is light and convenient. The system shuts down pretty fast too.
Accessories you may need:
ethernet adaptor, no network port on MBA
external disc drive
USB port extension

MBA has 2 USB ports only. so if you are using more than 2 USB devices, will nee to get an extension to expand the number of usb ports to accomodate
printer, wireless mouse, thumb drive, external hard disk, etc.

A 16gb thumb drive will be helpful to replace the cd drive. copy the cd or dvd to the 16gb thumb drive using another computer and use the thumb drive to install te programs.

If weight is a concern, MBA would be preferred.

My MBA is the old model, so not sure if the latest specs already cater for these shortcomings.
cheers.

merlionkid
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:42 pm

merlionkid wrote:MBA is light and convenient. The system shuts down pretty fast too.
Accessories you may need:
ethernet adaptor, no network port on MBA
external disc drive
USB port extension

MBA has 2 USB ports only. so if you are using more than 2 USB devices, will nee to get an extension to expand the number of usb ports to accomodate
printer, wireless mouse, thumb drive, external hard disk, etc.

A 16gb thumb drive will be helpful to replace the cd drive. copy the cd or dvd to the 16gb thumb drive using another computer and use the thumb drive to install te programs.

If weight is a concern, MBA would be preferred.

My MBA is the old model, so not sure if the latest specs already cater for these shortcomings.
cheers.

Mine is latest MBA, still the same, 2 USB ports.
CD Rom is not so critical these days but USB ports are and the extensions can be easily bought and light to carry.

If need to carry around frequently and doing research, create docs and presio only, MBA is good enough. It is used by my kid actually.

Postby sandunes » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:17 pm

If weight is not a concern, I would say get a Mac book pro.

Just storage itself, the standard model Pro is 500GB, MBA is 128/256GB.

If u buy it online through the Apple Education store, u get a disc of $150 for Pro (only $50-60 for MBA).

Dd got a MBA recently because weight is a concern to me. she has scoliosis and she needs to bring a musical instrument to sch daily. So even though 90% of her school mates are getting the Pro, I have convinced her to get the MBA.

For the MBA, u can get any external DVD drive, not necessarily the $98 Apple Superdrive. What I hv read online abt the Superdrive is, the USB cable is short and is connected to the Drive, so it breaks easily and u will have to replace a new one. Right now, dd uses an old brand less DVD drive which we already have. I have also bought an 500GB external HD and a 16gb thumb drive for her. (note prices for portable external HD has increased significantly due to the floods in Thailand). With all these, costs of getting the MBA is higher compared to Pro.

As for the remote disk download for MBA, it works only for software downloads and not for DVD and audio CD.

sandunes
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Funx3 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:16 pm

SunBrazen wrote:My school also gives the option of MacBook Pro or Macbook Air, I would have to say MBP because of the reasons Tankee stated. Btw what school is ur girl in?

RGS :lol: :lol:
By the Way, My Boy Says New Version of MB coming out in Apr ....
Is Is true?

If So, wonder what New Features these R Gonna Have ....

Funx3
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets