All About Robotics Courses

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Robotics for kids

Postby cnimed » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi does anyone know of a place that conducts basic robotics classes for children? Preferrably in the west. Thank you.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cafelatte » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:20 pm

this thread needs to be moved to correct section ? :?

Science Centre has some good holiday robotics programmes
http://www.science.edu.sg/rlc/programes.htm

cafelatte
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:32 pm

I don't know how good they are but they offer it at:

1. Lego stores
2. Smart Science Lab

Postby Blobbi » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:49 am

Hi deminc, we tried 2 yrs ago at a shop at the science centre. Anyway, the shop has closed. He enjoyed it, built some robots even, but I think it was beyond him because he asked to stop after awhile. He wants to try again, so I'm keeping my eyes on:

1. Science centre. But they have a p1 age limit.
2. Secret chamber. They're at thomson plaza. Friend says it's fun. But there's no continuity, like, there's no clublike venue for the boys to get together to build, which is impt for geeks :).
3. Smart science lab - v teacher dependant. Heard of a gd teacher but I forgot name, gasp).
4. Ion, Epic store in basement 1 runs some classes.
5. School robotics club.

I'm keen on #5 cos it's fuss free, but hv to wait till p3. If I hear of anything in the meanwhile or we need to fill a class, I'll let u know?

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cnimed » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:19 pm

Wow thanks for the useful list! Science center sounds most viable. One more year to go...
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jedamum » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:35 pm

Anyone tried Community Centre's halfday Robotics Holiday workshops?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby bezzlay » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:13 pm

jedamum wrote:Anyone tried Community Centre's halfday Robotics Holiday workshops?

Yes, my DS went for the course yesterday. He formed a team with another boy who is a year older and insisted on building the robot himself. Hence, he told me he was standing around and fixing just a few things. He wasn't proud of the robot at all. I think robots excited all the children and everyone wants to build their own so will be better to go for courses that they can learn to build individually.

bezzlay
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:55 pm

i thnk forum galleria has a plc called ct technology or ct workshop somethg like that. got to google n double chk

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurfette3 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:01 pm

Blobbi wrote:Hi deminc, we tried 2 yrs ago at a shop at the science centre. Anyway, the shop has closed. He enjoyed it, built some robots even, but I think it was beyond him because he asked to stop after awhile. He wants to try again, so I'm keeping my eyes on:

1. Science centre. But they have a p1 age limit.
2. Secret chamber. They're at thomson plaza. Friend says it's fun. But there's no continuity, like, there's no clublike venue for the boys to get together to build, which is impt for geeks :).
3. Smart science lab - v teacher dependant. Heard of a gd teacher but I forgot name, gasp).
4. Ion, Epic store in basement 1 runs some classes.
5. School robotics club.

I'm keen on #5 cos it's fuss free, but hv to wait till p3. If I hear of anything in the meanwhile or we need to fill a class, I'll let u know?

Thanks Blobbi for the list! For Smart Science Lab, do you know if their regular classes are also very teacher dependent? (hope this is not out of topic :oops: )

smurfette3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:14 pm

bezzlay wrote:
jedamum wrote:Anyone tried Community Centre's halfday Robotics Holiday workshops?

Yes, my DS went for the course yesterday. He formed a team with another boy who is a year older and insisted on building the robot himself. Hence, he told me he was standing around and fixing just a few things. He wasn't proud of the robot at all. I think robots excited all the children and everyone wants to build their own so will be better to go for courses that they can learn to build individually.

hi bezzlay,
thanks for the feedback.
we will be registering for the course that caters to 6-10yo instead of 8-12yo cos my boy is only 8yo. i think should be group work too so hope he gets good grpmates. the course is not cheap.... :roll:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets