All About Robotics Courses

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!
Learning_Love_Mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: All About Robotics Courses

Post by Learning_Love_Mummy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:45 pm

[quote="scang"][quote="Gemom"]can i ask if lego and robotics are related? have a nephew that is super into legos wonder robotics would be a thing for him as well[/quote]

Yes, they are linked. Also there are non lego robotics, which cost less as lego is the premium in robotics like Apple is to mobile phones.

It depends on his age, his exposure or experience in robotics.

Lego has roughly 3 flavours of robotics namely, Wedo, and Mindstorm series NxT and EV3.[/quote]
Hi thanks.
thanks for this answer, i was actually thinking what is related of Lego and Robotic. :) by the way, is there any parent ever tried to use the education lego ( website) step by step teaching kids? think the course outline and details are look similar as what offered by some of the robotics centre...

scang
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by scang » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Learning_Love_Mummy wrote:
scang wrote:
Gemom wrote:can i ask if lego and robotics are related? have a nephew that is super into legos wonder robotics would be a thing for him as well
Yes, they are linked. Also there are non lego robotics, which cost less as lego is the premium in robotics like Apple is to mobile phones.

It depends on his age, his exposure or experience in robotics.

Lego has roughly 3 flavours of robotics namely, Wedo, and Mindstorm series NxT and EV3.
Hi thanks.
thanks for this answer, i was actually thinking what is related of Lego and Robotic. :) by the way, is there any parent ever tried to use the education lego ( website) step by step teaching kids? think the course outline and details are look similar as what offered by some of the robotics centre...
Lego and Robotics, basically requires a physical hardware, the necessary software, and the correct program to run, in order for it to function.
Think of your TV set, your washing machine, your aircon etc. Basically, they are in a simple form - robotics.

There are many similar websites out there. Many are free. But you will need the necessary hardware to make use of the tutorials and lessons in order to have effective learning.

However, kids being kids, most of them requires guided learning, hand holding and supervision as they are young, inexperience, and lack the direction to do self learning.

Besides that, you also need the physical hardware set as simulated learning lacks actual learning as you can't see the actual functioning and real action of the program working without the hardware.

So you may like to have a physical hardware, be it Lego, Arduino, Microbit or other similar types.

scang
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by scang » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:09 pm

Just sharing a site that is having some holiday camps and programs on Robotics.
Link: Holiday Robotics

Learning_Love_Mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Learning_Love_Mummy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi Scang,
thanks for your quick reply and explanation about Robotics. :) thanks for sharing. I am newbie of this forum, may know how to do that's 'quote' when reply? cause i think the first time i made is not the proper one.
emm, so in short, if the parent have mechanical knowledge, and afford to buy the hardware ( i saw the Lego website sell out the material kit--think cheaper than send them to centre ) and software program, they can teach by their own instead of sending them to centre, did my view make sense? ^^ Look forward your view, thanks.

Learning_Love_Mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Learning_Love_Mummy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:14 pm

scang wrote:Just sharing a site that is having some holiday camps and programs on Robotics.
Link: Holiday Robotics

thanks, this is look cool and nice. :)

deardear07
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:36

Post by deardear07 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:08 pm

any other robotics holiday courses available?

Learning_Love_Mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Learning_Love_Mummy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:39 am

i would recommend wonderwork which located at Liang Court.
For some reason, i arranged robotic clasa for my kids at very last minute.
their response was prompt and friendly.
They even arranged another session, separate table for my kids as i worried They will lost interest while join the elder kids( regular and did attend before).
the arrangement was good for both age group kids , They could learn and play in their suitable pace.
the reason i highly recommend was their friendly and They care.,
They could actually just took in kids ( as the poster mention from age 5-12 if i not wrong). But They rather hire another teacher for young kids at v last minute as i contact them on e day before the camp start. so really thanks to Wonderwork team.

klim360
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by klim360 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:48 pm

Does anyone else recall what exactly those lego robots courses were called?

Happymummy2013
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Happymummy2013 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:06 pm

For most robotic courses, the charges are $300 onwards for a few sessions. After the child completes the course, if he does not have similar robot at home to practice, then he may forget what he has learned and money wasted.

My approach is instead of sending my son to computer/robotics courses, I use the money to buy him a robot and engage a qualified robotic tutor (Around $40 to $45/hr) to teach him at home. This way, after learning, my son can continue playing/programming with the robot any time he wants.
Last edited by Happymummy2013 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happymummy2013
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Happymummy2013 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:10 pm

klim360 wrote:Does anyone else recall what exactly those lego robots courses were called?
The simpler course is Lego Wedo, https://education.lego.com/en-us/elementary/shop/wedo-2 for younger kids, the more complicated is Lego ev3 for kids 8 years and above, https://www.lego.com/en-us/mindstorms/about-ev3

Hope this helps.