MOE to launch online learning portal

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

MOE to launch online learning portal

Postby tankee » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:27 pm

SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Education will be launching an online learning portal next year.

With this new teaching aid, MOE aims to engage the current IT-savvy generation and help improve the way they learn the language.

One feature of the new portal enables students to recite, record, and review their performance. A text-to-speech feature will assess reading fluency and correct pronunciation errors.

"I can take a video of myself, and I can see what problems I have. Then, I can improve myself," said one student on the pilot programme at Monfort Secondary.

Using the portal, students can also do written and oral assessments online, and critique their classmates work.

They can access a range of videos, pictures, audio clips, and even interactive games.

Teachers will be creating the bulk of online resources, which they are also encouraged to share.

Since learning is not confined to the classroom, parents can try the tasks too.

"It's more interesting for him and for me because... we can share and learn," said one parent.

The portal is now in its final phase of development.

It will be rolled out early next year for students in primary and secondary schools, and junior colleges.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 87/1/.html

tankee
Site Admin

Re: MOE to launch online learning portal

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:34 pm

More work for teachers. I don't understand why can't materials be created centrally and share. From what I understand from article, teachers from each school will create their own materials. Don't understand why each school must create own material.

I wonder what it means by parents can carry out the tasks too.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:07 pm

If they create and share online... maybe is less work for everyone? I thought is step in right direction? Is ok... dun mind me... DS finished PSLE. So I won't really know enough to comment.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:35 am

SAHM_TAN wrote:More work for teachers. I don't understand why can't materials be created centrally and share. From what I understand from article, teachers from each school will create their own materials. Don't understand why each school must create own material.

I wonder what it means by parents can carry out the tasks too.

But material used by teachers can still be recycled for the next year so it's not so bad lah.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Micaela » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks for sharing. :)

Micaela
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby radiantmum » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:57 pm

sounds like uni distance learning approach. nothing beats classroom interactions but of course, in times of haze, it will be a good alternative.

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Technology & Gadgets