worth to buy this camera?

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

worth to buy this camera?

Postby novels » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi Hi

I am in urgent need to buy IP cam to install at home to view my kids and helper. I saw this camera at D-Link booth at sitex show, DCS-930L mydlink cloud wirelss-N 300 IP cam, the price seem very attractive and the sales person said very easy to install, any one can give advise is it worth to buy? Thanks in advance.

http://www.dlink.com.sg/Products/?idproduct=499

novels
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: worth to buy this camera?

Postby tankee » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:15 pm

This is a basic ip camera, it would suffice if you do not need pan and tilt, optic zoom, audio and low light / night vision.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby novels » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi Tankee, I just need a basic ip cam which dun cost much. Thanks.

novels
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby novels » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:12 pm

I got 2 IP cameras instead, one which is dcs-930L which has basic features and one dcs-5222L which has additional functions of infrared (can view at night) and pan & tilt (diff angle). Both have 'cloud' function which can views on the go. The offer is really great, I got both at $158 which original price is $428, really a steal, happy happy . My hubby cant wait to play with his new toys, he is opening the packaging now, think he can't wait to fix them up since the sales claimed that the set up is easy as 123.

novels
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby limlim » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:19 pm

"original" price can never be trusted..

from experience..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cimman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:59 am

if you can wire up the house, it's best to get a non IP camera or an analog camera. Put the video cables in a trunking and wire it up to a digital video recorder. You'll get better quality video (analog cameras use CCD, better quality than CMOS based IP cameras) , and at a cheaper cost. Part of the cost in an IP camera comes from the networking electronics, which is not needed if you have a video cable connected to your DVR.

If you don't have the luxury of laying video cables in the house, then you're left with the wireless option, which is much more expensive because now you're paying for wireless electronics on top of networking electronics.

For a single camera installation, the cost might be about the same, or even cheaper with the IP camera option, but as you scale up to 4 cameras or more, the analog camera option is cheaper and gives better video quality.

You have to be careful with wireless technology. With streaming video, any disturbance in the video transfer will show up as snow or interference. Just walking around the house with a handphone or a DECT phone could cause interference. The actual bandwidth of Wireless N is a lot less than the theoretical limit, so you might see some form of interference. At the $100+ price, you'll get a CMOS sensor camera. CMOS sensors are not very good for videos.
Since the video gets streamed to the cloud, the bottleneck is on the broadband infrastructure. The upload speed is typically pretty low compared to the download speed of broadband. That plus usual peak hour traffic, might produce less than acceptable video quality of your IP camera.

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby novels » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:52 am

limlim wrote:"original" price can never be trusted..

from experience..

Hi limlim I agree that some "original" price cannot be trusted, but for this case is genuie cos my husband went to sim lim one wk ago and he said the promo price of dcs-930l is $89 and dcs-5222l is $349, so we still got in very very cheap price heeheehee...
Last edited by novels on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

novels
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby novels » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:55 am

wow cimman, very "chim", too technical liao I dun quite understand :P so far the cameras that I got are serving us good, now I have another new habit, log in the cam using my mobile or ipad to view any time when I am out of home heeheehee.... actually wanted to share with you on the views but awkward lah since my house very messy, if anyone who interested to view, I managed to find the demo at D-Link website :

STEP 1 : Visit https://sg.mydlink.com/login and log in with the following
STEP 2 : Enter email & password :
If you cannot log in using Account 1, we may have reached the maximum number of users allowed. Please try other Account 2 to login. Account 1 :
[email] ilovedlink@gmail.com
[password] ilovedlink

Account 2 :
[email] ilovemydlink@gmail.com
[password] ilovemydlink

novels
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby novels » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi Hi

FYI My husband saw that Challenger is having the promotion for DCS-930L for $49 for members, he said when he checked out at Sim Lim still normal price. You can go get from Challenger if you are intending to get a basic IP cam, really worth the $.

novels
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Technology & Gadgets