singtel vs starhub broadband. which is better?

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

singtel vs starhub broadband. which is better?

Postby Herbie » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:23 pm

which broadband is better?

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: singtel vs starhub broadband. which is better?

Postby SBKS » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:59 pm

if u talking abt fibre,
then depends on the package u want. like if most of your family is ST then get the mio, if most on SH then get SH. fibre quality between the 2 is abt the same.

if u speed conscious, then dun choose the 2.

if u talking abt ADSL or cable, then my standard answers as follows:

how old is ur estate? more than 20yrs u better get starhub.
lesser than 20yrs then next qn is are you living near ST exchange? if no get starhub.
If yes, how near? within 2km then tke singtel.

SBKS
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby sundaymorning » Fri May 03, 2013 9:55 am

fibre, anyone tried Republic?
My family is using that its pretty good, so much faster than starhub, m1, singtel.

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby CloudeeDaz » Fri May 03, 2013 10:33 am

SBKS wrote:if u talking abt fibre,
then depends on the package u want. like if most of your family is ST then get the mio, if most on SH then get SH.

why is it so?
is it will get better price or...?

SBKS wrote:how old is ur estate? more than 20yrs u better get starhub.

again, why?

Another noob question from me: Does it mean there will be no more dc problem if i get fibre?

many thks :smile:

CloudeeDaz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun May 05, 2013 4:47 pm

SBKS wrote:... if u speed conscious, then dun choose the 2. ...

Why so? The 2 providers buy active networks from the same opco NucleusConnect, like all other providers on fibre. Are you saying they are not provisioning enough in their backbone to support the high numbers of subscribers in their network, compared to smaller broadband players?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby SBKS » Mon May 06, 2013 12:04 pm

CloudeeDaz wrote:
SBKS wrote:if u talking abt fibre,
then depends on the package u want. like if most of your family is ST then get the mio, if most on SH then get SH.

why is it so?
is it will get better price or...?

They each have their own rewards and bundles.

SBKS wrote:how old is ur estate? more than 20yrs u better get starhub.

again, why?

Another noob question from me: Does it mean there will be no more dc problem if i get fibre?

many thks :smile:

old buildings would have old telephone wires that ADSL is dependent on. There are cases where old buildings telephone wires does not have any issue. But doing that are taking chances. why fret about it?

fibre should not have DC issue due to no dialtone. But they do have their own set of issues but not dependent on telephone wires that are old.

ChiefKiasu wrote:
SBKS wrote:... if u speed conscious, then dun choose the 2. ...

Why so? The 2 providers buy active networks from the same opco NucleusConnect, like all other providers on fibre. Are you saying they are not provisioning enough in their backbone to support the high numbers of subscribers in their network, compared to smaller broadband players?

My concern is similar to what you mentioned. Its the throttling that is affecting it. Myrepublic and the other provider is touting low latency and fast speed to international servers. They do have their throttling done but not so much as compared to big players. So for those who mind about their speed and always check on speedtest, at this point in time, get from other providers.

EDIT: to add, my mums home is using fibre from SN. it gets decent speed according to my perspective. I have friends who are so speed conscious that they look at latency and not the DL and UL speed. :sweat:

SBKS
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon May 06, 2013 6:48 pm

SBKS wrote:My concern is similar to what you mentioned. Its the throttling that is affecting it. Myrepublic and the other provider is touting low latency and fast speed to international servers. They do have their throttling done but not so much as compared to big players. So for those who mind about their speed and always check on speedtest, at this point in time, get from other providers.

EDIT: to add, my mums home is using fibre from SN. it gets decent speed according to my perspective. I have friends who are so speed conscious that they look at latency and not the DL and UL speed. :sweat:

All ISPs in Singapore throttle. You may be right in that the 2 bigger boys do quite a bit more traffic shaping than the smaller boys. As for latency, it depends on where the servers are hosted. The funny thing is, if the servers are hosted in Singnet, a Starhub user will face higher latency access the server in Singapore rather than from neighboring country like Malaysia! This is because the 2 ISPs are such bitter enemies that they have no direct peering arrangements. So Starhub has to route its traffic up to Thailand and back again just to access Singnet's content. Does wonders for latency :)

I'm not sure if the situation has improved in the recent years.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby CloudeeDaz » Tue May 07, 2013 6:34 am

SBKS wrote:......old buildings would have old telephone wires that ADSL is dependent on. There are cases where old buildings telephone wires does not .....

thanks for your reply! :smile:

CloudeeDaz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SBKS » Tue May 07, 2013 3:19 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
SBKS wrote:My concern is similar to what you mentioned. Its the throttling that is affecting it. Myrepublic and the other provider is touting low latency and fast speed to international servers. They do have their throttling done but not so much as compared to big players. So for those who mind about their speed and always check on speedtest, at this point in time, get from other providers.

All ISPs in Singapore throttle. You may be right in that the 2 bigger boys do quite a bit more traffic shaping than the smaller boys. As for latency, it depends on where the servers are hosted. The funny thing is, if the servers are hosted in Singnet, a Starhub user will face higher latency access the server in Singapore rather than from neighboring country like Malaysia! This is because the 2 ISPs are such bitter enemies that they have no direct peering arrangements. So Starhub has to route its traffic up to Thailand and back again just to access Singnet's content. Does wonders for latency :)

I'm not sure if the situation has improved in the recent years.

Yeap....not really bitter enemies...more about the $$$$. they should have improved if you compare adsl to fibre. :siam: :lol: .

hope they will for the sake of their customers.

CloudeeDaz wrote:
SBKS wrote:......old buildings would have old telephone wires that ADSL is dependent on. There are cases where old buildings telephone wires does not .....

thanks for your reply! :smile:

you are welcome. Just sharing what I know and what I know are not 100% correct all the time. :lol:

SBKS
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby joyceharper » Fri May 10, 2013 10:21 am

Someone told me the Singtel lines are older and even though they state the same speed as the other telcos there is a chance it will be slower - is that true?

joyceharper
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets