Laptop For Secondary School

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Laptop For Secondary School

Postby Farah Angullia » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:44 am

My new school requires us to have a laptop.
What brand should I get? I was thinking of Asus. Please recommend a brand and model. Please give me your opinions as soon as possible. Thanks. :)

Farah Angullia
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Laptop For Secondary School

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:19 pm

Farah Angullia wrote:My new school requires us to have a laptop.
What brand should I get? I was thinking of Asus. Please recommend a brand and model. Please give me your opinions as soon as possible. Thanks. :)

What would you be using the notebook for?
- Bring and use in class?
- Access Internet website content?
- Work on documents (wordprocessing, presentations, spreadsheets)?

If yes to all that, you can simply buy low-cost netbook or laptop for under $600. It should be small and light with good battery life of at least 5hrs.

If you are going to be using it to do programming, graphics design or gaming, you will need to get a more powerful machine which is likely to be bulkier and more expensive.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Farah Angullia » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:05 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Farah Angullia wrote:My new school requires us to have a laptop.

What would you be using the notebook for?
- Bring and use in class?
- Access Internet website content?
- Work on documents (wordprocessing, presentations, spreadsheets)?

If yes to all that, you can simply buy low-cost netbook or laptop for under $600. It should be small and light with good battery life of at least 5hrs.

If you are going to be using it to do programming, graphics design or gaming, you will need to get a more powerful machine which is likely to be bulkier and more expensive.

Well, I got myself a lightweight Asus. I'll be using it for studies and projects. It costed me about $1700. Thanks for the advice, though. :)

Farah Angullia
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Steadyberry » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Hi

I am a pc dummy. Am thinking of getting a laptop for my P3 ds. Recently he needed to use excel and PowerPoint for his school project. I took out my Dell dinosaur (bought 10 over yrs ago) laptop for him to use. Omg it took ages to load. Think it is time I should get a new one. I am considering HP brand and if possible, the laptop can be used till lower sec. Any suggestion? TIA.

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Pen88n » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:58 pm

Unless the kid needs to do programming (which I really doubt), it is better to get a cheap laptop that can be used for basic office software and no need to spend a bomb. Nowadays, there are always new better models and software coming out (and prices dropping too), and it would be wiser to expect to get a new model when kid reaches secondary school, rather than spend a bomb buying a good model now expecting it to last and be of good use beyond 3-5 years. Note that sometimes some secondary schools may have certain specific model of laptop they require, or certain specifications so that they can load certain software, or perhaps easier for kids to use for work done in school and at home.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:15 pm

IMHO weight should be a major consideration for P3/P4.

I am actually thinking of either buying a second-hand macbook air or ultrabook for DS.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Steadyberry » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi pen88n

Thx for letting me know that some sec sch hv specific brand/model. In this case, any recommendation for one that can be used till P6? Minimum req for hard disk? What kind of software? ms office sufficient? I want one that can load fast and with the necessary softwares in it bec i hv no idea how to download software. What are the things to look out for? I know nothing about the Gb, ram.... TIA

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Steadyberry » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:39 pm

tankee wrote:IMHO weight should be a major consideration for P3/P4.

I am actually thinking of either buying a second-hand macbook air or ultrabook for DS.

Hi tankee

I hv not tot of using apple bec they hv diff interface from other brands. Is it user friendly for a pc dummy like me?

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Pen88n » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:22 am

Steadyberry,
If you are using for home basic uses, usually MS office should suffice. Add in Anti-virus for surfing to protect the laptop. See what else your DS school teaches or require later, you can then buy and install. Most software nowadays just need you to download to install / CD to install - very easy.

I got a low end model PC earlier for DS use, upgrade the RAM to 6GB and it is running fine for MS office use and surfing and my watching drama online sometimes. DS does not bring to school much, no programming and little gaming, so no need for higher end laptop. Hard disk do not require a lot too, as not much app and most of my working documents are not saved on the laptop. I have my office laptop for my business use, so this is really for basic home use.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iFirefly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:44 pm

I am planning to get a computer laptop/notebook for my DS who is in Sec-2. I plan to give it to him as a surprise birthday gift. However, I am clueless about computers & such, and I am confused with the many brands/types available in the stores.

Can parents share what laptops/notebooks (brand & type) your DCs are using? Are your DCs happy & satisfied with their laptops/notebooks (speed, performance, battery life etc)? My budget is 1K to 1.5K thereabout. Appreciate your comments & recommendations. Thanks in advance.. :smile:

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets