Online shopping

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!
slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:234

Re: Online shopping

Post by slmkhoo » Wed May 22, 2019 9:09 am

What's the situation now with buying from Taobao? I remember there was some problem recently about using agents to buy. There is an item I'm thinking of buying - just wondering how to go about it.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:208

Post by floppy » Wed May 22, 2019 9:18 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:09 am
What's the situation now with buying from Taobao? I remember there was some problem recently about using agents to buy. There is an item I'm thinking of buying - just wondering how to go about it.
If buying from Taobao these days, I rarely bother with going thru agent. If Lazada has it, great. Otherwise, I’ll just opt for direct shipping or consolidated shipping from Taobao.

Katherin22
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by Katherin22 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:49 am

When buying from Taobao, pick an experienced seller who is trustworthy. Also the quality of the product is rated by previous buyers who have received the particular item you’re looking at. I make sure to check these things first before buying, I had an bad experience shopping online. It's always best to check first.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Wed May 22, 2019 11:41 am

floppy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:18 am
slmkhoo wrote:
If buying from Taobao these days, I rarely bother with going thru agent. If Lazada has it, great. Otherwise, I’ll just opt for direct shipping or consolidated shipping from Taobao.
How do you pay? Do they accept Singapore credit cards? What are the shipping charges like? And do all sellers ship overseas, or only some?

I used to buy on Taobao when I lived in China, but I've not used it since coming back to Singapore. They didn't accept foreign credit cards then, and I've never tried shipping to outside China. No, Lazada doesn't have the item - I checked already.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by floppy » Wed May 22, 2019 12:36 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:41 am
floppy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:18 am
slmkhoo wrote:
How do you pay? Do they accept Singapore credit cards? What are the shipping charges like? And do all sellers ship overseas, or only some?

I used to buy on Taobao when I lived in China, but I've not used it since coming back to Singapore. They didn't accept foreign credit cards then, and I've never tried shipping to outside China. No, Lazada doesn't have the item - I checked already.
Some sellers will do 直运. Others may not indicate on Taobao, but if you ask, will / can help you to deliver to a warehouse / shipper who does ship to Singapore. Direct shipper or third party shipper is preferred if your items are bulky (like furniture). You make payment to third party shippers as if you are buying an item (they will tell you which item to add to your cart and how much to pay).

Alternatively, you can use Taobao 集运 if your items aren’t bulky or super odd size items. This will also take care of sellers that don’t ship overseas, since they are only shipping to the Taobao local warehouse.

All options are available on Taobao website or app. Payment is made via Singapore local credit card. A straightforward process as long as you understand Chinese.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Wed May 22, 2019 1:38 pm

Thanks! It seems that 集运 is cheaper than 直运 even if I have just 1 item? Does this sound right? And have you had any problems with fraudulent charges on your credit card?

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by floppy » Wed May 22, 2019 2:23 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:38 pm
Thanks! It seems that 集运 is cheaper than 直运 even if I have just 1 item? Does this sound right? And have you had any problems with fraudulent charges on your credit card?
集运 is not necessarily cheaper than 直运 for 1 item.
For direct shipping, you will pay for the shipping fee together with the item. Pricing is transparent.
For consolidated shipping, you will only know the shipping fee after the items arrive at the warehouse. If price is higher, not much you can do about it.
Found a website that may be of help to you.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Wed May 22, 2019 3:02 pm

Thanks, saw that earlier. Just that when I tried with the item I am thinking of buying, the cost for 直运 was lower. Bit strange? Well, let me mull over it a bit and decide. I'm going on vacation in 3 weeks, so I may not order till I get back, just in case it takes longer than expected to arrive.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:162

Post by Nebbermind » Wed May 22, 2019 8:39 pm

Has anybody used ezbuy prime to ship bulky furniture?

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by floppy » Thu May 23, 2019 12:49 am

Nebbermind wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:39 pm
Has anybody used ezbuy prime to ship bulky furniture?
I did in the past.
1x dining table.
4x dining chairs.
2x barstools.
1x shoe cabinet.
1x lights.