Techie Child

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Techie Child

Postby chenSee » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:56 pm

Is technology nowadays injuring our children? Or is it appropriate that in their early age you're allowing them to use these gadgets to discover and learn things?? :)

chenSee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Techie Child

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:52 am

The main thing to remember is that technology is a tool to be used, and not to allow it to control your child. Unfortunately, kids are easily entranced by the sounds and pictures and will get hooked very quickly. Frankly, many of the educational uses of technology for preschool kids are no better (sometimes worse) than doing it the traditional way on paper or with real objects, with the additional risk of getting a child addicted. If you find your child frequently asking to use a gadget and getting upset when you tell her to stop, those are warning signs. Start early with strict limits and you will save yourself a lot of grief.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby chenSee » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:53 pm

^Yes i totally agree w/ you :) sometimes children are uncontrollable when it comes to gadgets as their personal needs.. Actually i didnt let my child hold any of it since she's still young.. There's a right age and perfect time for her to scrutinize techie gadgets.. :)

chenSee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby chenwj » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:31 am

I set a rule for the family - No Mobile Phone on table and No touching of Mobile Phone during Lunch/Dinner get-together time. :)

chenwj
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Jennifer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:57 am

chenwj wrote:I set a rule for the family - No Mobile Phone on table and No touching of Mobile Phone during Lunch/Dinner get-together time. :)

Very difficult to enforce on ......... the daddy :rotflmao:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby channie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:48 pm

I think there must be extreme management of time and guidance that parents must stick to when allowing their children to use all this gadgets and technology.

channie
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby nhl » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:59 pm

Simple rules in our house:
1. No TV until kids are in bed
2. Kids are not allowed to play with our smart phones/computer/laptops/pads etc
3. We also do not play/use phones/pads for entertainment purpose in the kids presence

And now the eldest is four I still think this was the right decisions. And it is so sad to see so many kids addicted to their gadgets and parents ignoring their kids because they are checking their facebook or playing game on their iPhone.

nhl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby pirate » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:11 am

nhl wrote:Simple rules in our house:

I am not a believer of this rule. Just wait till the kids hit their first oral and listening comprehension and you will understand why.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nhl » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:45 am

pirate wrote:
nhl wrote:Simple rules in our house:

I am not a believer of this rule. Just wait till the kids hit their first oral and listening comprehension and you will understand why.

I am talking about small kids here, less then 6 years old. Once they get older I don't think it is feasible and reasonable but for now I think it is OK. The recommendation is that kids below 4 watch less then 30 minutes of TV a day or no TV at all. (Sorry, can't remember where I read this) So we took the easy way and went for the no TV at all route.

nhl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sundaymorning » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:15 am

I believe parents should advocate since young not to use gadget when they are free. instead giving them for a short time frame and definitely not a daily usage.
Thus,it would not turn into a habit. As for mine, so far so good.
:)

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets