Sim Lim Square Scam/Con ppl shop

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Sim Lim Square Scam/Con ppl shop

Postby Linlin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:23 am

Anyone have such experience?

Linlin
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Sim Lim Square Scam/Con ppl shop

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Linlin wrote:Anyone have such experience?

Those "beng" shops on the ground floor and 2nd floor scream "buyers-beware". The way to identify them is the number of ang mo tourists browsing in there. I generally avoid shops frequented by tourists.

These shop owners will prey on the greed of consumers. When you ask them to quote the price for something you want, they will quote a really low price to reel you in first. Once inside the shop, one of the following things can happen:

a) Bait and switch. They will insist that the model you want is lousy compared to a "much better" product which they will sell at a high margin. This "much better" product is usually of an inferior brand and poorer quality, but may have some additional features to reel you in.

b) No stock. Yup. The stock is not in for the model you want at the price you want. No idea when the stock will arrive. Might as well buy one of the other models he has at his shop.

c) If you insist on buying that model you want at the price he quoted, suddenly you will start seeing either
i. Standard accessories being "optional" which you must pay for
ii. GST charges not included in the "quote". You have to pay the additional 7%.
iii. No local warranty because the set is "export" only.

Strictly speaking, the above are not "chargeable" frauds that police can deal with, but very poor business practices with highly questionable ethics. Just be aware of these tactics when dealing with the stores. Never commit to buying until you clarify all the above points with the guy.

Sim Lim Square can be very fun and you can get really good deals, but it takes time to sniff out the deals and there are many unscrupulous ones out there that will prey on "newbies".

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Linlin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:07 pm

My youngest bro is one of the new victim. He is only 16 and his saving is from his last yr good result.

He went to this shop at lvl which got youngster with tattoos and they smoke in the shop working as salesperson. My bro check the price and confirm with them and bought $250 gadget but the salesperson charge him $430 upon payment talking about asking him to include accessories. Then my bro at that point no choice but to pay that amount thru nets. Then the person key another amount $413 I ask my brother for this sum of money this time round my bro puzzled he start to ask what this for and the person mentioned on site need to register and need to pay $180 and the rest of the amount is for gaming etc. My bro knows his account not enough and call my another small bro for help and my small bro advise him to leave. My bro wanted to leave but the tattoo man and those smoker ask him stay and help him settle, they even went to buy beer to shop to drink. He stucked in the shop for hours. They kinda of celebrating or cheating my bro money. The ask my bro to pay the money if not he cannot leave with the gadget and must come back next day to pay the balance. My bro left with no choice but to neg for price and ended up they collect from him another $230. He kinda shocked and upset and called me up for help but I don't know abt sim lim sq well cos I hardly buy gadget.

Linlin
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Linlin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Sim lim square is really a place that give Sg no face cos they not only con the foreigners and also Sg including kids which can be as young as 12. Seriously something must be done to these tattoos, smoker or ex convicts ppl that work there. They are no fresh ppl, how can they do such thing to kids. Best part is the salesperson can talk rot saying if no money don't come sim lim sq go funan it mall or online to buy. So he himself know he overcharged and he don't think is an offend to cheat. He told my bro about 8gb memory card but go back home to check is 4gb only. The on site registration is nonsense cos is free but they insists to ask u pay. Even apple products like iPhone, iPad they will also insists u to pay the "on site" registration which they can charge like $250 +++ if u chose not to pay they will do tricks to ur gadget. So what kind of ppl are they? :shrug:

Linlin
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tankee » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:22 pm

Suggest you make a police report

Need to be fair, not all shops in Sim Lim Square are like that.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby TheAnswer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:39 pm

My DH usually buys from the shops on level 4 and level 5 if I remember correctly. He doesn't bother to browse through the items on the lower levels.

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:38 pm

Linlin wrote:My youngest bro is one of the new victim. He is only 16 and his saving is from his last yr good result.

He went to this shop at lvl which got youngster with tattoos and they smoke in the shop working as salesperson. My bro check the price and confirm with them and bought $250 gadget but the salesperson charge him $430 upon payment talking about asking him to include accessories. Then my bro at that point no choice but to pay that amount thru nets. Then the person key another amount $413 I ask my brother for this sum of money this time round my bro puzzled he start to ask what this for and the person mentioned on site need to register and need to pay $180 and the rest of the amount is for gaming etc. My bro knows his account not enough and call my another small bro for help and my small bro advise him to leave. My bro wanted to leave but the tattoo man and those smoker ask him stay and help him settle, they even went to buy beer to shop to drink. He stucked in the shop for hours. They kinda of celebrating or cheating my bro money. The ask my bro to pay the money if not he cannot leave with the gadget and must come back next day to pay the balance. My bro left with no choice but to neg for price and ended up they collect from him another $230. He kinda shocked and upset and called me up for help but I don't know abt sim lim sq well cos I hardly buy gadget.

If you have all the receipts, go make a police report immediately. I've never met such bullying in my 23 years of going to SLS, and if true, these gangsters must be stopped and punished for bullying young kids.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Linlin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:18 am

My bro went back to sim lim sq with my mum to ask for help. The security ask them to reg to case then 3 days later will receive reply regarding this. My bro didn't realise there is paper stick on the lifts and the one he went is one of the blacklisted one :slapshead:

Mum told me the guy mentioned he not scare to go jail cos he just came out from there and is already 6-7times. He also say few hundred dollar only not few thousand. When police came, he speak hokkien to my mum saying $600+ only not even ten thousand. My mum so old still need to work to earn money for my rest sibling which still schooling. That :nunchuk: still talk fong liang hua..

The guys working there should be fine by NEA for smoking in shopping complex. Sim lim sq is really getting more and more complicated.

I don't know other lvl safe or not but I definitely will advise my children to avoid such places. My youngest bro 16 cant even handle situation and he worried to approach my parents or even my eldest sis. He approach my another bro around his age for help and my bro only advise and not able to help. I think he really left with no choice then find me. This people really over.. They are smart that there is no CCTV, they don't allow my bro to leave and telling him about help him the gadget box is open so must buy. My bro didn't want the gadget only ask him to bring down take a look and the person open the box and claim my bro have to pay and don't let him leave. This kinda of hooligans really wasted taxpayer money. They treat prison with pride and is like holiday for them I feel like :spank: I hope my bro will learn from this lesson and don't give us heart attack anymore. Don't know how case will handle :sweat: need them to go court? Bro still young to face this kinda of thing sigh~

Linlin
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:46 am

Cases like these have been reported in the papers before and it seems like nothing is done. The police do not get involved and there's just a blacklist of shops pasted on the walls. Which incidentally the shops will go around tearing down.

The tactic used by the shops is tantamount to harassment and unlawful detention when the person is not allowed to leave the shop until he pays. Why aren't the authorities doing something?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Linlin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:13 pm

jtoh wrote:Cases like these have been reported in the papers before and it seems like nothing is done. The police do not get involved and there's just a blacklist of shops pasted on the walls. Which incidentally the shops will go around tearing down.

The tactic used by the shops is tantamount to harassment and unlawful detention when the person is not allowed to leave the shop until he pays. Why aren't the authorities doing something?

Yup, I agree with you. Why our gahmen sit on the problem instead of settle thing once and for all.

Linlin
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets