Package for broadband, tv and phone

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Package for broadband, tv and phone

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:48 am

Looking for recommendations and advice - we have been overseas for a long time and will be returning to Singapore in June. We will need to subscribe to broadband, tv and phones and so are looking for a recommendation for a single provider for all these. We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teenagers) and fairly heavy computer users, but not such heavy users of phones and tv. We will be living in an HDB flat, if that makes any difference. Thanks for any info!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Package for broadband, tv and phone

Postby hquek » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:52 am

welcome home in advance. If you are looking at a single provider for all 3, then it will be Singtel. But I personally had a lot of problems with their mio tv and much prefer Starhub cable for its usability. Starhub internet connectivity is alright but I have never tried their landline.

Am currently using M1 for fibre connection and during an IT fair, got a deal that included free landline (in/out calls all free) plus 1Gb mobile data.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Harlequin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:01 am

Welcome home, slmkhoo.

We are using Starhub.... Cable, Max Online and landline and 2 mobile lines (for DDs)

The Max online is unlimited download at a monthly fixed fee with 100mbp download speed, very reliable (been using it for 7 years) never had any hiccups, though my house is fibre broadband cabled, but I still stay on with Max Online since I have not experienced any problem surfing or downloading movies.

For cable, they have wide variety channels as well as pay per view titles renew weekly. The many different packages availability means there is easily one that will suit your lifestyle.

My 2 landlines are free bundled.

Plus a free 1 GB mobile data SIM.

Starhub is very generous with their promotional freebies, my experience with them is that they'll call to inform that the contract is up, and what are the freebies to renew the contract.

There is 5% or 10% off the total bill if you subscribe to all the 3 services (mobile, cable and max online.)

Hope this helps.

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:15 pm

hquek wrote:welcome home in advance. If you are looking at a single provider for all 3, then it will be Singtel. But I personally had a lot of problems with their mio tv and much prefer Starhub cable for its usability. Starhub internet connectivity is alright but I have never tried their landline.

Am currently using M1 for fibre connection and during an IT fair, got a deal that included free landline (in/out calls all free) plus 1Gb mobile data.

I do agree that if your goal is hassle-free TV programmes, Starhub is probably the better choice. That said, as more service providers start delivering quality TV programmes via fibre, this might change. The old wars starring SingTel (DSL) vs Starhub (Cable) are over. Both technologies are now "obsolete" with the advent of fibre and all the 2 combatants are doing now is to try to extend their investments in these 2 technologies. When everyone gets on fibre and service providers are forced to deliver programmes only through fibre, there will be little difference in quality of service. The competition will revolve around who has better content.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Dreamgear » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:30 pm

I use singtel mio package - free landline, mio tv, boardband and discount of 25% for 3 singtel mobile lines.

But i dont use the mio tv at all...i Use starhub instead.....

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:20 pm

Sorry to sound like a dinosaur, but what's the difference between tv with Starhub and Mio? Presumably there are still free-to-air channels? Do the 2 services provide some of the same content?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dreamgear » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:22 pm

slmkhoo wrote:Sorry to sound like a dinosaur, but what's the difference between tv with Starhub and Mio? Presumably there are still free-to-air channels? Do the 2 services provide some of the same content?

Different service provider with different contents. For example if you want english football, only singtel have it. if you dont watch cable tv and only want free to air, then theres no need to subscribe. Just plug and watch.

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:20 pm

I had mio tv when they first rolled it out. There was some promo. Suffice to say we never got around to learn how to use it. Too darn hard, I recall not being able to turn off the machine thingy else it will take half an hour or more to reboot. Starhub works for tech idiot like me. Then again, internet tv even better....hardly any commercials

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:09 am

Thanks everyone! Keep the suggestions and experiences coming as I'm having to learn about this whole new world. It's been a long time since we lived in Singapore and things have changed a lot.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:53 am

I gave up on MIO after having it cheap when they 1st launched co me not a TV person. Switched over to M1...also coz got promo...like Fiber + land line + data SIM (2 or 5 GB?) for about $40?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets