Where to get best deal for Macbook?

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Where to get best deal for Macbook?

Postby atrecord » Tue May 28, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi,

Am considering whether to get a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro with Retina display, and will definitely get one in mid June.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where can i find the best deal? I've just started to do some homework, and find that most places follow the recommended Apple prices, and just give different freebies.

Anyone knows which place will give the best deal?

tks...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Where to get best deal for Macbook?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:47 pm

atrecord wrote:Hi,

Am considering whether to get a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro with Retina display, and will definitely get one in mid June.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where can i find the best deal? I've just started to do some homework, and find that most places follow the recommended Apple prices, and just give different freebies.

tks...

Apple controls the prices like a hawk. Errant vendors that are found to undercut the recommended retail prices face severe consequences, so few vendors who have won the prestigious right to sell on behalf of Apple would dare to jeopardize their exalted position by offering "illegal" discounts. The most they will do is to offer freebies to add value to their customers.

That said, it is possible to get first-hand devices from sellers who get the items from lucky draws or as promotions from insurance or banks. Just search the web for local offers. The alternative is to purchase the devices from another country with no sales tax.

If you don't mind 2nd hand stuff, there are plenty on offer in places like Sim Lim square.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby iamblur » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:38 am

tks...

Hi,

The best you can get is buying it online at apple.com and ask for student price. You get a few hundreds off the list price.

I bought my Mac pro retina this way. They don;t question or ask for proof of student.

Regards

iamblur
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby cathywongwcc » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:54 am

usually check out sim lim. There was an IT fair at expo.

the prices are very competitive.

cathywongwcc
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby atrecord » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:44 pm

i did some homework and also went to PC show last week.

Indeed Chief is right that most of them will follow Apple's listed price. In fact, all but one shop (Harvey Norman) offered only freebies, most of which were not very useful. HN quoted a price of about $100 cheaper 3 sundays ago, and the 'special price' was quoted on checking, and not displayed.

PC show prices were same too. The 'Education' price is about 7% lower, but my company supplier has quoted a price that's about 10% lower, so that's a slightly better deal.

After reading all the negative news about SLS, i think i'll give the place a miss.

I was hoping the WWDC 2 days ago would have good news for the Macbooks, but it's not very significant... I'll probably get the MBA with Retina display.

tks.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:26 am

If u r a UOB credit card holder, the UN$ can be used to offset up to 50% of the RRP at some Apple shops. Not sure of other credit cards.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby chrysophrase » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:11 pm

iamblur wrote:

tks...

Hi,

The best you can get is buying it online at apple.com and ask for student price. You get a few hundreds off the list price.

I bought my Mac pro retina this way. They don;t question or ask for proof of student.

Regards

Hi,

How long does it take to ship to Singapore? And is it reliable? i.e. items are not damaged etc.

Thanks!

chrysophrase
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:42 pm

chrysophrase wrote:Hi,

How long does it take to ship to Singapore? And is it reliable? i.e. items are not damaged etc.

Thanks!

It's quite safe and reliable buying online from Apple's store. I've bought several ipads this way. I believe the items are shipped directly from the factory. Takes about 1-2 weeks for delivery.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby tankee » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:41 pm

tankee
Site Admin

Return to Technology & Gadgets