When is a good time to expose children to computer?

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

When is a good time to expose children to computer?

Postby monmonchichic » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:13 am

I am just curious at what age do you allow your kids to use the computer? I understand at primary levels, they would need to use computer to help in their project works, but would you start your kids at an earlier age? What are the courses they should pick up? Will you send your kids to computer schools for courses?

monmonchichic
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: When is a good time to expose children to computer?

Postby milkbun » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:30 am

at young age is fine. most impt, supervise your child and do it with him/ her. tt's what i would do

milkbun
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sleepy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:54 am

Not allowed to use computer, except for projects & research

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:42 am

dd1 was taught how to use the computer in P1 by her school. She learned how to create word doc and PowerPoint slides.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby senseimichael » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:29 pm

All my children (except #3, too young now) started handling a mouse at age 3, and DW started them off with JumpStart Math. The two older boys are currently limited to an hour of computer time a week, with the firstborn allowed computer use if he needs to do research.

All computer use are to be in front of us, under our eyes.

senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hoo1688 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:53 pm

Dd has started to used computer since she was 2, she likes to watch the surgery (human / animal) documentary at 3, she starts to type at 5, she is able to type sentences or short essay with Window word or open office word, she likes to use the online Chinese dictionary to learn and do her Chinese homework. She spends about 45 minutes to an hour in computer daily.

Computers is very useful to our kids, are good tools to stimulate our kids learning process. But it’s important to take precautions for our kids safety and well-being. Teach our kids proper computer use and monitor them to be sure their computer time in constructive and useful.

hoo1688
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Wandi_flora » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:55 pm

i let my kids use when they were 5 years old to expose them to the various learning cds i bought...under strict supervision and for 1 h only.

Wandi_flora
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby polly-molly » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:01 am

I also use the technologies to supervise my kids.
They are 5 and 10, too young in my opinion to have a total freedom. So I installed a special software (which is actually designed for video surveillance systems, but has a screen capture module).
By its means I have an access to their desktop and also can schedule the time I receive the screenshots.

polly-molly
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby polly-molly » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:02 am

the name of the software is Xeoma, if you are interested.

polly-molly
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Kevin Fernandos » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:01 pm

My son is 4 years old and I am teaching him basic functions and keys of computer so that he become aware of it and my daughter who is 11 years old, i allow her to use computer only for her school assignment and for painting so that she won't lack behind. I always keep an eye on her so she won't misuse it. I provide them knowledge about computer which is essential for their growth but I avoid access use of it as they all are in very early stage of their life. So for me the best stage of life in which you can expose your children to computer is after 4 years but still it is your responsibility to keep eye on them.

Kevin Fernandos
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Technology & Gadgets