New non-GPS location based Services from Google

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

New non-GPS location based Services from Google

Postby dragonball » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:01 pm

Read this article that google is offering non-GPS location services with google map for free on your mobile phone. http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/11/28/google-mobile-maps-pinpoints-your-location-without-gps/.

If they can let me use it to track where my kid is that will be wonderful. Wonder when this service will be available in Singapore

dragonball
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:37 am

Why not just give your kid a cheap cellphone with a phonecard and teach him/her how to use it in an emergency?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:27 pm

Does it cost money to triangulate? I think GPS will soon be common place...no need for such technology. GPS don't cost money...just need the correct hardware.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phantom » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:56 pm

super_dad wrote:Does it cost money to triangulate? I think GPS will soon be common place...no need for such technology. GPS don't cost money...just need the correct hardware.

The problem with GPS is you need to be outdoor and you need to on the GPS which is battery draining. Think this will work well in indoor.

Don't think it need money to triangulate, you just need the database of Cell to coordinates mapping. I suppose google is doing that for free.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:58 pm

Yep...main problem is that GPS can't work indoors.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Technology & Gadgets