how best to get a new PC for home

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

how best to get a new PC for home

Postby karenmok » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi,
I am toying with the idea of getting a computer for my home using assembled components. Does anyone have suggestions for a shop/service provider? I hear there are many shops in sim Lim square, but any personal recommendations will be welcome.
I don't want a very latest model, just a stable computer for some surfing, word processing, etc, is enough.
Thanks a ton,
Karen

karenmok
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:57 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: how best to get a new PC for home

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:59 am

karenmok wrote:Hi,
I am toying with the idea of getting a computer for my home using assembled components. Does anyone have suggestions for a shop/service provider? I hear there are many shops in sim Lim square, but any personal recommendations will be welcome.
I don't want a very latest model, just a stable computer for some surfing, word processing, etc, is enough.
Thanks a ton,
Karen


It may cost more to DIY computers these days. And that's discounting the extra self-maintenance you have to do when things go wrong. If your purpose is a stable computer, don't DIY. Just buy a cheap notebook with large screen and at least an Intel i5 or equivalent processor.

Sim Lim Square remains your best source in Singapore for components. Fuwell on the 4th floor is a good and trustworthy shop with friendly customer service. Their prices are very competitive.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Re: how best to get a new PC for home

Postby UncleLim » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:41 am

Karen, I recently got one assembled in a Sim Lim Sq shop called PC Themes. The chap there helped me choose the parts according to my needs. They then assemble it and install Windows for me. I went back the next day to collect it.

I then chose a Philips monitor from another shop. I forgot the name but monitor prices do not vary much.

Then I bought a Blu-Ray writer and a bunch of Blu-ray discs so that I could finally back up my family photos and other documents without using multiple DVDs.

It has been a couple of months and everything is working well.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:47 am
Total Likes: 7


Re: how best to get a new PC for home

Postby ScaredyMum » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:14 am

Hi

What kinda budget should we plan for if following above suggestions?

ScaredyMum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:43 pm
Total Likes: 6


Re: how best to get a new PC for home

Postby nansk » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:24 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:If your purpose is a stable computer, don't DIY.

I agree. If you want a stable computer mainly for surfing, get a Dell with 3-year service plan. We have used Dell PCs for over a decade now and no issues (touch wood!) and have been satisfied with their next-business-day service.

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:42 pm
Total Likes: 9



Re: how best to get a new PC for home

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:13 pm

nansk wrote:
ChiefKiasu wrote:If your purpose is a stable computer, don't DIY.

I agree. If you want a stable computer mainly for surfing, get a Dell with 3-year service plan. We have used Dell PCs for over a decade now and no issues (touch wood!) and have been satisfied with their next-business-day service.


The 1st and last time I ordered a Dell, it took 3 weeks before I gave up and told them to cancel my order. It was an All-in-1. The reason they gave was that not enough people ordered that computer for them to start the manufacturing batch. Whatever.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Re: how best to get a new PC for home

Postby BlockbusterEnglish » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:01 pm

ScaredyMum wrote:Hi

What kinda budget should we plan for if following above suggestions?


Hi ScaredyMum, I had about 4 PCs assembled at Video-Pro on the fifth level of Sim Lim Square. Everything including the monitor, Microsoft office (with Word, Excel and PPT) and Windows 7 cost about $650 per set.

If your usage is not heavy, you may want to consider getting a Chromebook. It starts from as low as $450! (www.google.com.sg/chromebook) I am considering getting Chromebooks myself rather than desktops.

-Justin

BlockbusterEnglish
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:21 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: how best to get a new PC for home

Postby SBKS » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:14 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:It may cost more to DIY computers these days. And that's discounting the extra self-maintenance you have to do when things go wrong. If your purpose is a stable computer, don't DIY. Just buy a cheap notebook with large screen and at least an Intel i5 or equivalent processor.

Sim Lim Square remains your best source in Singapore for components. Fuwell on the 4th floor is a good and trustworthy shop with friendly customer service. Their prices are very competitive.


Fuwell FTW... :lol:

ChiefKiasu wrote:The 1st and last time I ordered a Dell, it took 3 weeks before I gave up and told them to cancel my order. It was an All-in-1. The reason they gave was that not enough people ordered that computer for them to start the manufacturing batch. Whatever.


Thats how dell operates....thats how they can be the first company to let u customise online. thats also the reason i dun like them. :smile:

BlockbusterEnglish wrote:Hi ScaredyMum, I had about 4 PCs assembled at Video-Pro on the fifth level of Sim Lim Square. Everything including the monitor, Microsoft office (with Word, Excel and PPT) and Windows 7 cost about $650 per set.

If your usage is not heavy, you may want to consider getting a Chromebook. It starts from as low as $450! (http://www.google.com.sg/chromebook) I am considering getting Chromebooks myself rather than desktops.

-Justin

For TS case, I agree with going with Chromebook. word processing and online is all available on Google.

SBKS
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 5:22 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: how best to get a new PC for home

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:36 pm

SBKS wrote:
BlockbusterEnglish wrote:Hi ScaredyMum, I had about 4 PCs assembled at Video-Pro on the fifth level of Sim Lim Square. Everything including the monitor, Microsoft office (with Word, Excel and PPT) and Windows 7 cost about $650 per set.

If your usage is not heavy, you may want to consider getting a Chromebook. It starts from as low as $450! (http://www.google.com.sg/chromebook) I am considering getting Chromebooks myself rather than desktops.

-Justin

For TS case, I agree with going with Chromebook. word processing and online is all available on Google.


Sure anot? Why not just buy a netbook then? At least it can run the full version of windows and all its apps. Can we use the Chromebook to create and display powerpoint presentations? Or excel spreadsheets? Or are we stuck with OpenOffice?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Re: how best to get a new PC for home

Postby ngl2010 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:45 pm

HP Chromebook is 14" so it is bigger than netbook.

I think Chromebook uses Google Docs. Not Open Office. Or, maybe I am wrong?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm
Total Likes: 68


Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets