Which Ultrabook will you recommend?

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Which Ultrabook will you recommend?

Postby Funz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:25 am

Looking for an ultrabook and the more I read up the more I cannot decide. Using it mainly for work. Nothing that needs massive computing or graphic capabilities. Base on your experiences, what would you recommend? Budget not so much an issue.

Oh yah, need wintel.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Which Ultrabook will you recommend?

Postby ngl2010 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:45 pm

I've been using Samsung ultrabook for about a year and love it :love: Fast to start and light. I usually open many applications and never hang.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SwimInSG » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:14 pm

If money isn't an issue, I would recommend Asus Zenbook. There are many versions of it available. Choose one that is suitable for you. It is light, battery life is good, and most importantly, I feel that Asus is a much more reliable brand. Just a disclaimer - I'm not affiliated with Asus. I just happened to have used it before. Using a Macbook Air now.

SwimInSG

SwimInSG
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Funz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks.

I was looking at the Sony Vaio or the Samsung series 7. But realise that the Samsung series 7 that I am looking at is not available in Singapore. Max ram for most of the Ultrabooks are only 4GB Ram. So far seems like only Dell can give me the spec that I would like to have, i7 processor, 8GB ram, 256GBSSD, 13" screen, etc.

Any advise or suggestions, keep them coming please.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ngl2010 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:45 pm

When I bought my Samsung, they gave free additional RAM.

I don't like Sony Vaio. In my big family, there were 4 people bought Sony Vaio and all of them had problems. But these were a few years ago so maybe Sony Vaio's quality has improved.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:24 pm

Funz wrote:Looking for an ultrabook and the more I read up the more I cannot decide. Using it mainly for work. Nothing that needs massive computing or graphic capabilities. Base on your experiences, what would you recommend? Budget not so much an issue.

Oh yah, need wintel.

I have used the 1st generation of the Asus Ultrabook UX-31. Now I'm using the Acer S7. While the Acer S7 is much lighter than my original Asus, I did miss my Asus Ultrabook for that solid, reliable feeling. Also, it did look like a Mac Air so much that I kept wondering how come Asus wasn't sued by Apple.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby SwimInSG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:52 am

Funz wrote:Thanks.

I was looking at the Sony Vaio or the Samsung series 7. But realise that the Samsung series 7 that I am looking at is not available in Singapore. Max ram for most of the Ultrabooks are only 4GB Ram. So far seems like only Dell can give me the spec that I would like to have, i7 processor, 8GB ram, 256GBSSD, 13" screen, etc.

I would say, never ever buy Dell. It won't last. Very likely to spoil in no time. If you're not doing much, I wouldn't think that there is a need for 8gb of ram though

SwimInSG
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Funz » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:14 am

SwimInSG wrote:
Funz wrote:Thanks.

I would say, never ever buy Dell. It won't last. Very likely to spoil in no time. If you're not doing much, I wouldn't think that there is a need for 8gb of ram though

Been a Dell user for years. My current laptop is also a Dell. No problems with all of them. And I like that I can configure and order online.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Funz » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:19 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Funz wrote:Looking for an ultrabook and the more I read up the more I cannot decide. Using it mainly for work. Nothing that needs massive computing or graphic capabilities. Base on your experiences, what would you recommend? Budget not so much an issue.

Oh yah, need wintel.

I have used the 1st generation of the Asus Ultrabook UX-31. Now I'm using the Acer S7. While the Acer S7 is much lighter than my original Asus, I did miss my Asus Ultrabook for that solid, reliable feeling. Also, it did look like a Mac Air so much that I kept wondering how come Asus wasn't sued by Apple.

Never considered Asus and Acer. Concerned about their quality. May be just my perception.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:25 am

Funz wrote:Never considered Asus and Acer. Concerned about their quality. May be just my perception.

You are probably right about Acer, but Asus has been highly regarded in terms of their quality for years. Their Ultrabooks are also top rated. In fact, I think the Samsung ones pale in comparison to the Asus ultrabooks.

With regards to Acer, their S7 series is of quite a different class from their usual fare of cheap, disposable notebooks. Other than battery life, I have little to complain with my current S7.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets