[How-to] Sync Gmail email, contacts and calendar with iPhone

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

[How-to] Sync Gmail email, contacts and calendar with iPhone

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:43 pm

For people who are still very heavily dependent on Google for their PIM (mail, calendaring and contacts) and wish to synchronise this information to the iPhones or iPads, this this how you can do so.

Things used to be simpler when Google was still using Microsoft Exchange. When that went away early this year, we now have to use 2 separate steps to synchronise Gmail, Google Calendar and Google Contacts.

1) Sync Gmail and Google Calendar
Read this.
Essential steps copied from the link above:
a. Open the Settings application on your device's home screen
b. Open Mail, Contacts, Calendars
Select Add Account...
Select Gmail
Enter your account information
c. In the Description field, enter a description of the calendar (e.g. "Personal Calendar").
d. Select Next at the top of your screen.
e. Make sure the Calendars option is turned on.
f. After you've completed setup, open the Calendar app on your device. g. Syncing will automatically begin.

Note that the above will only synchronise your email and calendars to your iPhone. You still need to do one more step to get your Gmail contacts into your iPhone.

2) Sync Google Contacts
Read https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2753077
Essential steps copied from link above:
a. 0Open the Settings application on your device.
b. Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
c. Select Add Account...
d. Select Other
e. Select Add CardDAV Account
f. Fill out your account information in the following fields:
Server: Enter "google.com"
User Name: Enter your full Google Account or Google Apps email address.
Password: Your Google Account or Google Apps password. (If you’ve enabled 2 Step verification, you’ll need to generate and enter an application specific password.)
g. Description: Enter a description of the account (e.g. Personal Contacts).
h. Select Next at the top of your screen.
i. Make sure that the "Contacts" option is turned to ON.
j. After you've completed setup, open the Contacts app on your device, and syncing will automatically begin.

I like keeping all my contacts with Google because it makes it very easy for me to use a browser on the PC to type in my contacts' information using a proper keyboard.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: [How-to] Sync Gmail email, contacts and calendar with iP

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:54 pm

One powerful feature of Gmail's calendar is the ability to share calendars with friends, family and even colleagues. On iPhones or Androids, it is possible to set up your calendar so that it displays the merged calendars.

I rely on this feature to track my children's activities. Both of them have Gmail accounts and they will enter any key events (eg. CCA, tests, exams, homework, reminders, etc) in their Google calendars. Our calendars are shared with the ability to view, create and edit entries in each other's calendars. So I can also use this feature to set reminders for them.

To get you smartphone to view multiple calendars, do the following:
Read this.
Essential steps copied from the link above:

a. The owner of each calendar must first login to their Gmail, open their calendar, and invite the others to share their calendar.

b. Visit the following page from your device's mobile browser: https://www.google.com/calendar/syncselect
Do not do this on your PC's browser. You must click on the link above from your smartphone.

c. Select the calendars you'd like to sync, then click Save.

c. The selected calendars will be displayed on your device at the time of the next sync.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Jennifer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:29 pm

:thankyou: :udaman:

even though I am not using this feature

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Jennifer wrote::thankyou: :udaman:

even though I am not using this feature

You are most welcome, Jennifer! Actually, the multi-calendars work on normal browsers too. So you can keep track of your child's schedule and events easily. If you child is carrying a smart phone, you can even create events in their calendar, using your own browser, which will be automatically synced into their phones with notification alarms to remind them. Think of these as "scheduled" SMSes :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby icy_mama » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:20 pm

these sounded to cheem to me. i'm an iphone moron. using iphone only for messaging and ksping only. all these modern technologies wasted on me. :laugh: do u see a dinosaur?

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iFirefly » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:03 pm

Thank You, Chief.. Very informative indeed.. :salute:

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:58 am

Chief, would u by chance can do a how to sycho outlook using Android phone to pc?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Jennifer wrote:Chief, would u by chance can do a how to sycho outlook using Android phone to pc?

You still using Outlook? I used Outlook for over 10 years, but switched to Gmail when I started using the iPhone. Never looked back :)

Adding Outlook Exchange email to Android is a simple matter of adding your Exchange Account to Android's accounts to connect remotely to your server. That works fine.

However, if you maintain your own Outlook data locally, it is not straight forward. To get an idea, check out this PC Magazine article.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:33 pm

firefly38 wrote:Thank You, Chief.. Very informative indeed.. :salute:

Thank you, firefly38. I was also thinking of doing a how-to on how I track the location of my son using his iPhone. Not sure if anyone is interest, though.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:34 pm

icy_mama wrote:these sounded to cheem to me. i'm an iphone moron. using iphone only for messaging and ksping only. all these modern technologies wasted on me. :laugh: do u see a dinosaur?

I think most people are like that. Since you know how to surf the Internet with your iPhone, it's pretty good already. The phone is only wasted if you don't use it at all.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets