Java version 7 update 45

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Java version 7 update 45

Postby Jennifer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:30 am

I am trying to install the above on a laptop that runs on Wins 8.

A sys msg : Downloading and installing Java will only work in Desktop mode on Windows 8

what does this imply?

I am not a user of Wins 8, so no idea what the FAQ write up abt Start n plug-in etc is talking about.

Anyone can explain to me in layman terms?

Appreciate your advices.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 23241
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 106


Re: Java version 7 update 45

Postby Sun_2010 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:39 am

Did you switch to the desktop mode ?

Some material for you to trouble shoot it.
http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/win8_faq.xml

Are you using IE or google chrome?

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4613
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:13 pm
Total Likes: 145


Re: Java version 7 update 45

Postby Jennifer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:12 am

Sun_2010 wrote:Did you switch to the desktop mode ?

Some material for you to trouble shoot it.
http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/win8_faq.xml

Are you using IE or google chrome?


I need to use IE as OCBC velocity does not run on Chrome.

I tried to install, but sys msg says cant find path.

Now waiting for OCBC to reply me.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 23241
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 106


Re: Java version 7 update 45

Postby Bungii » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:31 am

Jennifer wrote:
Sun_2010 wrote:Did you switch to the desktop mode ?

Some material for you to trouble shoot it.
http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/win8_faq.xml

Are you using IE or google chrome?


I need to use IE as OCBC velocity does not run on Chrome.

I tried to install, but sys msg says cant find path.

Now waiting for OCBC to reply me.


Windows 8 has 2 modes, one is the Metro UI and other, the desktop mode.

Lifting from the material Sun_2010 gave, here are some ways to go to desktop mode/screen, choose one.
1. By pressing the Windows logo key on the keyboard you can toggle between the Start screen and the Desktop screen.
2. You can also click on the Desktop tile in the Start screen to switch to the Desktop screen.
3. Move your mouse pointer to the far left bottom of the screen to switch between the Start screen to the Desktop screen and vice versa.

Once you are in desktop screen, you may then try to install Java, then verify your installation. I am not sure how you start the download and installation process, if you have not downloaded the Java installation, launch IE in desktop screen. Go to Java website and start the download and installation.

I think OCBC supports Firefox as well.

Bungii
Site Admin
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:28 am
Total Likes: 4


Re: Java version 7 update 45

Postby Jennifer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:43 am

Bungii wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Sun_2010 wrote:Did you switch to the desktop mode ?

Some material for you to trouble shoot it.
http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/win8_faq.xml

Are you using IE or google chrome?


I need to use IE as OCBC velocity does not run on Chrome.

I tried to install, but sys msg says cant find path.

Now waiting for OCBC to reply me.


Windows 8 has 2 modes, one is the Metro UI and other, the desktop mode.

Lifting from the material Sun_2010 gave, here are some ways to go to desktop mode/screen, choose one.
1. By pressing the Windows logo key on the keyboard you can toggle between the Start screen and the Desktop screen.
2. You can also click on the Desktop tile in the Start screen to switch to the Desktop screen.
3. Move your mouse pointer to the far left bottom of the screen to switch between the Start screen to the Desktop screen and vice versa.

Once you are in desktop screen, you may then try to install Java, then verify your installation. I am not sure how you start the download and installation process, if you have not downloaded the Java installation, launch IE in desktop screen. Go to Java website and start the download and installation.

I think OCBC supports Firefox as well.


Will try again.

Hubby's dell has the latest Java update. Not sure why ah boy's Asus does not hv.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 23241
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 106




Return to Technology & Gadgets