Nintendo DS

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Nintendo DS

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:30 am

While lots of parents think of gaming consoles as mere toys, the Nintendo DS is slowly becoming the next thing for educational software. It started with Kawashima's Brain Age brain training software, and then there was an avalaunch of titles targeted at children as low as 3 years old.

I would think that instead of investing in specialized platforms like the V-Tech or Leappad toys, it might be worthwhile to invest in a relatively low cost Nintendo DS (< S$250) and take advantage of the growing list of titles.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby dragonball » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:26 am

Hey, I am considering getting a DS, but I am just afraid that my kid will get addicted to it and stop doing his homework. I have this problem right now with the XBox I have. Just keep wanting to want to play xbox game and I got problem getting him to do other things.

I rather get him to play some other more useful game. Anyone got the same problem as me? How do you handle it?

Anyone know where to get a good price for DS Lite?

dragonball
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby wet » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:39 am

dragonball wrote:Hey, I am considering getting a DS, but I am just afraid that my kid will get addicted to it and stop doing his homework. I have this problem right now with the XBox I have. Just keep wanting to want to play xbox game and I got problem getting him to do other things.

I rather get him to play some other more useful game. Anyone got the same problem as me? How do you handle it?

Actually, this problem exists regardless of whether it is a gaming console or the child's favorite toy or activity. So you handle it just like how you control his addiction to other things. The way I do it is limit him to no more than half an hour per session, and he has to earn that half an hour by having good behavior or spending time studying, etc.

wet
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby super_dad » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:06 am

For me, I disallow my child to play with such electronic devices (especially HP)....I think it is not good for the eyes. Even myself, when I use my PDA for a prolong period, I find that it was really bad for my eyesight. No wonder kids these days need to wear glasses. This is a side effect of all my technological advances.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:31 pm

super_dad wrote:For me, I disallow my child to play with such electronic devices (especially HP)....I think it is not good for the eyes. Even myself, when I use my PDA for a prolong period, I find that it was really bad for my eyesight. No wonder kids these days need to wear glasses. This is a side effect of all my technological advances.

Even spending too much time reading books will harm your eyesight. Do things the Middle Way. Avoid extremes. Usage in controlled doses, eg. half an hour a day, will do no harm.

Anyway, I believe the reason why kids in Singapore has a higher myopic rate is because of the small homes we stay in. If you make it a point to get the kids to go outside and play or swim on a daily basis, it will do wonders for their eyesight.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:10 pm

Books are less harmful I think...being less reflective. But the surface area of a book is alot larger than a small mobile phone screen.

But yeah, I do let her play with my phone when she is bored outside. I even have a gameboy emulator installed to let her play her POKEMON.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby dragonball » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:50 am

super_dad wrote:Books are less harmful I think...being less reflective. But the surface area of a book is alot larger than a small mobile phone screen.

But yeah, I do let her play with my phone when she is bored outside. I even have a gameboy emulator installed to let her play her POKEMON.

Some of those books that have glossy papers are actually quite reflective. So I actually bought those polarized lamb from 3M for my kid use, quite expensive though

dragonball
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby xvirusga » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:31 am

dragonball wrote:Hey, I am considering getting a DS, but I am just afraid that my kid will get addicted to it and stop doing his homework. I have this problem right now with the XBox I have. Just keep wanting to want to play xbox game and I got problem getting him to do other things.

Dragonball,

i limit my son's play to only max 1hr each during weekends only, after all his homework has been completed. make them earn the credits for it. here's wat i do, during weekends, they have to "earn" their credits, for simple things like helping out with housework, helping out with grandma, making the bed, etc. say like 5points per credit. once they accumulate enough points to say 50pts max. they are entitled to play 1 full hour. but along the way, should they fail to achieve, their points will be deducted as well. i works well for us, it was some getting used to, but soon, they will learn and its always a constant reminder to keep them on their toes. i will not hesitate to even "keep" his favorite game till all expectations are met up again.

as for the price of a dslite, arranging from SGD210 to 300, depending on color, make, and the accessories. good place to get is ang mo kio hub.

xvirusga

xvirusga
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Nintendo DS

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:52 pm

xvirusga wrote:... i will not hesitate to even "keep" his favorite game till all expectations are met up again...

What NDS games do you allow your child to play?

We have an old article here that describes suitable NDS titles for children.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby mckenzy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:46 am

i dunno... i believe toys should be toys and work should be work and not to try and merge the two.

now my son keeps asking me for my handphone so that he can play the java games...

mckenzy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets