Where do you place your child's computer?

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Where do you place your child's computer?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:25 pm

I thought the following is good advice by Bob Williams:

The computers kids use should be in high-traffic areas of the house

"There are two reasons for this rule," Bob writes: "One, the parent is able to supervise the child's online activities nearby, and two, every time a parent walks by the connected PC a child is reminded to follow the family rules about surfing the Net safely. Incidentally, when you walk by the computer, stop and ask questions. What Web site are you on? Who are you talking to on IM [instant- messaging], and how do you know that person? Has anyone typed a message to you that makes you feel bad or uncomfortable? Questions like that. This shows the child that you're interested and care about her. It also alerts the child that you are watching closely. Have I said this before?: There is no substitute to parental supervision.

"I investigated a case regarding a 5th-grader who was receiving unwanted, harassing email. The suspect was a classmate. After confirming the screenname and subscriber information with the 5th-grader's Internet service provider by subpoena, I went to the house to confront the sender. The parent assured me that her child was not the sender. Someone else must be using the child's screenname and password. The parent's explanation was that the child does his homework in his bedroom on a laptop, and cable access wasn't available in that room. Upon speaking with the child, the officer determined that, without the parents' knowledge, the child had removed the telephone cord from the phone and connected his laptop using dial-up service.

"Let's keep that computer in a common area!!"

Where do you keep your kids' computer?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:41 pm

Hmmm...I place my kid computer...in my computer!

Actually, we are all using the same computer but different profile.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mckenzy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:47 am

until my kids REALLY needs to use the computer for homework, the computer is off-limits.

but yes... it makes sense to keep it in high traffic areas...

mckenzy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby heutistmeintag » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:22 am

Erm, would a high traffic place also pose distraction to their work?

I guess it depends on their ages too. If they are young, we should ensure supervision. There will be a time we have to trust them to do the right things.

My kids who are in P5/P6 have their computers in their room and I spot check them once in a while. They were taught somewhat about cybersecurity and privacy in school. My wife and I had also stressed to them the importance of security awareness. They gave me their assurance that they will be careful and I had in fact impersonate a stranger to test them on the Internet before. :)

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:31 pm

I placed my husband's computer in the living room....;)
...actually we only have one computer. :P

And even if the kids need for future usage, we should be placing it in the living room so that if the kids want to access to games, at least they are not tucked away at some 'forgotten' room to immerse in the world of games.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mckenzy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:40 pm

its always back to the 2 different views of education and growing-up.

fear of capital punishment versus a society of freedom... there is no end to such debate, each parent chooses the system that they-as-parents believe-in.

one believes in degrees-of-control, the other believes in freedom with responsibility... parents set the pace... both have merits as well as down-sides... see which you believe in lor...

singapore-style or sweden-style etc etc...

mckenzy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby UncleLim » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:24 am

We have 3 computers - all in the living room. Ease of supervision and family interaction is not sacrificed while we are on the computers. :D

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ooptimizer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:00 pm

My house not so big so no choice, 1 of the computer is in the my eldest girl room.

ooptimizer
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jedamum » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:22 pm

i personally think that best not to have computers in kid's bedroom. the dangers of the world of online chats with strangers and surfing of dangerous sites out of parent's eyes are very real.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby acforfamily » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:30 am

I put the computer in the study, but the screen is big and it faces the door, so I can actually see which website he is on even from the living room.

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets