Want to ask about Kindle

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Want to ask about Kindle

Postby junemum72 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:56 pm

I am new to this but would like to get one for my p3 kid. Is it worth getting? I thought won't it be better to have ereader so that I do not need to find space to stuff the books?

Which one is good? And how it works? Do they come in different capacity and generally how many ebooks can we keep inside? I assume only can store English and not Chinese?

TIA.

junemum72
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Want to ask about Kindle

Postby zaloi2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:41 pm

junemum72 wrote:I am new to this but would like to get one for my p3 kid. Is it worth getting? I thought won't it be better to have ereader so that I do not need to find space to stuff the books?

Which one is good? And how it works? Do they come in different capacity and generally how many ebooks can we keep inside? I assume only can store English and not Chinese?

TIA.

The problem with kindle is ir requires VPN to buy ebooks off amazon from Singapore.

for singapore the preferred eReader is still Kobo, you can get it from Zoeblogshop, they offer the best price in Singapore. I bought my kobo glo from them and they offer lotsa free resources, saving me tones of $!!

zaloi2
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby junemum72 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:40 am

zaloi2 wrote:
junemum72 wrote:I am new to this but would like to get one for my p3 kid. Is it worth getting? I thought won't it be better to have ereader so that I do not need to find space to stuff the books?

TIA.

The problem with kindle is ir requires VPN to buy ebooks off amazon from Singapore.

for singapore the preferred eReader is still Kobo, you can get it from Zoeblogshop, they offer the best price in Singapore. I bought my kobo glo from them and they offer lotsa free resources, saving me tones of $!!

Thanks for your feedback.

junemum72
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby junemum72 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:40 am

I need advice on how to get ebooks from amazon.

Got a 2nd hand kindle from someone who doesn't know how to use, me too. I tried checking out the kindle link in amazon but it seems not many choices for kids from age 6-12.

Any experts can help?

junemum72
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby i.love.to.learn » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:25 pm

haha i was in a dilemma back then, kindle or ipad mini. But went with ipad mini because it also allows to surf the net and kobo is really good and easy to use. plus kobo works on desktops too, so i can read the same book on multiple platforms.

but such reading devices are really just for the convenience. at the end of the day, nothing beats the touch and the smell of books.

i.love.to.learn
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Ma Ma Mia » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:30 pm

junemum72 wrote:I need advice on how to get ebooks from amazon.

Got a 2nd hand kindle from someone who doesn't know how to use, me too. I tried checking out the kindle link in amazon but it seems not many choices for kids from age 6-12.

Any experts can help?

If I'm not wrong you can only buy with a US account. Or you can buy off any site as long as it's in a .mobi format. I just had to get the file and send it to my kindle by e-mail. Book will appear on my device.

Ma Ma Mia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Ma Ma Mia » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:35 pm

Oh! There's going to be Kindle for Android!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=165849822

Ma Ma Mia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby broadshouldersgal » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:24 am

Amazon apps store has come to Singapore a few days ago. You can download them locally now.

broadshouldersgal
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby junemum72 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:31 am

broadshouldersgal wrote:Amazon apps store has come to Singapore a few days ago. You can download them locally now.

Really...where can I find more? thanks

junemum72
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby icemountain » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:02 pm

I own a kindle paperwhite used by myself and my dd. She has since nearly taken over this device and we love it for these reasons:

1) Portability. We don't leave the house without it! My dd reads on it whenever we are in situations where there's some waiting, esp before meals. My kids don't play games on gadgets. The paperwhite only offers books in b/w. The device is small enough to tuck into my small purse.

2) Accessibility to ebooks. Cost of new ebooks is nearly on par with paperback ones but you get instantaneous download whenever you buy an ebook (v gratifying not having to wait weeks for your books to arrive). I've also downloaded kids classics for next to nothing. Like the entire compendium of Oz stories, Peter Pan and Anne of Green Gables - some of my dd's current favourites - were downloaded for less than USD2 each. Many classic collections can't even be found in paper versions anymore and you can even download plenty of classics for free!

3) Best e-reader in the market. I own 2 other e-readers and sometimes read on my iPad Air but nothing beats the paperwhite. It has no backlight and I'm comfortable reading for hours because of low eye strain.

4) Storage. Our two bookshelves are bursting, I got a kindle because of space issues. Now I have over 100 ebooks on this small device alone. It's supposed to store up to 1000 ebooks.

Yes, you need VPN to download books. I use DNS and I have an Amazon account. You can pm me if you need more details.

icemountain
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets