Smartphone with long battery life

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Smartphone with long battery life

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:31 pm

Which smartphone has the longest battery life? I am not a games player nor a social media fan, so I will not be using it a lot. However, based on my low-usage daughter and husband, smartphones seem to need charging after about 1-5 days even when usage is low. Is there one which can last longer? Thanks!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Smartphone with long battery life

Postby schweppes » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:25 pm

slmkhoo wrote:Which smartphone has the longest battery life? I am not a games player nor a social media fan, so I will not be using it a lot. However, based on my low-usage daughter and husband, smartphones seem to need charging after about 1-5 days even when usage is low. Is there one which can last longer? Thanks!

not even for KSP? :evil: :siam: :wink:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:14 pm

No - I prefer to use my computer! The screen's bigger. My only reason for wanting a smartphone is that I am being left out of whatsapp conversations. Up till now, I've not been bothered as most things will get to me eventually and they are not usually so time-critical. However, a friend was hospitalised yesterday and very sick, and if not for another friend who remembered that I wasn't on whatsapp, I wouldn't have known. I don't want that sort of thing happening again.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:20 pm

I think battery life really depends on the user's usage of phone.

I'm an iPhone user. Generally, I find the battery life decent in the first 1 1/2 years and then it starts to drain fast nearing the 2-year life span, even tho my usage pattern is similar as before.

U can check out the smartphones on offer online - either Singtel or Starhub, depending on which telco u subscribe to. Some phones come free but the fine print is that u must subscribe to one of higher tiered price plans. Or just pop by the outlets to find out more. Go early and avoid weekends. Queues are very long.

Got a basic Samsung smartphone for dd2 early this year (think only paid less than $100) with the cheapest plan and no data plan attached. So, she can only surf or whatsapp at home (connect to home wifi) or look out for free wifi hotspots at public places. We felt that the data plan feature was not necessary as she's still a student.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Jennifer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:25 pm

Hubby is using Samsung S4, power drains very quickly, think the screen resolution eats up a lot of battery power. Now having prob with auto shut down n sometimes, battery charging not getting through. Dunno he bad luck or what to get this particular problematic set or this prob happens to other Samsung.

I would suggest getting those with a reasonable size screen. No need to be big.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:29 pm

Jennifer wrote:Hubby is using Samsung S4, power drains very quickly, think the screen resolution eats up a lot of battery power. Now having prob with auto shut down n sometimes, battery charging not getting through. Dunno he bad luck or what to get this particular problematic set or this prob happens to other Samsung.

Lately, have been hearing complaints about Samsung phones. One friend's relative had bad experience with Samsung's customer service. Actually, lack of customer service.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Teacher Aaron » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:31 pm

slmkhoo wrote:No - I prefer to use my computer! The screen's bigger. My only reason for wanting a smartphone is that I am being left out of whatsapp conversations. Up till now, I've not been bothered as most things will get to me eventually and they are not usually so time-critical. However, a friend was hospitalised yesterday and very sick, and if not for another friend who remembered that I wasn't on whatsapp, I wouldn't have known. I don't want that sort of thing happening again.

Most smartphones today don't last more than two days, even with 'infrequent' usage because of the background data transfer is on-going, and other the screen, internet data transfer is the next most power hungry part of a smartphone.

If you want to maximise the use of whatsapp, you will need to have internet connection on all the time during the day so that you get updates instantly. The convenience is the trade-off for power hungry smartphones. I know most Android phones have battery saving options, and third-party battery management apps can also help conserve power by letting you set modes, such as low power modes that turn off data connection (but not turn of cellular signal).

I would say if you use all the battery saving modes you can find coupled with not so frequent usage, you might be able to go 48 hours on a full charge. For normal use, 24 hours on a full charge is already very good.

Teacher Aaron
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schweppes » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:33 pm

Jennifer wrote:Hubby is using Samsung S4, power drains very quickly, think the screen resolution eats up a lot of battery power. Now having prob with auto shut down n sometimes, battery charging not getting through. Dunno he bad luck or what to get this particular problematic set or this prob happens to other Samsung.

Just spoke to dd2, she said that she sometimes have problems with the auto shutdown and battery charging. Her phone is one of the basic model. Currently, she charges her phone using her jiejie's Sony phone charger :roll:

@slmkhoo: on 2nd thoughts, best NOT to get Samsung phones

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Imami » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:33 pm

slmkhoo wrote:Which smartphone has the longest battery life? I am not a games player nor a social media fan, so I will not be using it a lot. However, based on my low-usage daughter and husband, smartphones seem to need charging after about 1-5 days even when usage is low. Is there one which can last longer? Thanks!

I can only speak of my experience on samsung s3. Generally, a full charge last me about 2 days. For my standard, 2 days is extremely short considering my previous phone, a nokia, could last me a week before the next charge. When I was away last October for 9 days, i had very little use of my phone other than taking pictures or videos. Each day I only had 30min internet connection.

It was then that I realized Internet connectivity was a big battery drainer. But I don't play games on my phone. Normally, it's just checking fb or ksp when I am on the train (and I don't take train a lot!).

I guess if u don't install too many apps (well, installation is not an issue I supposed but if u don install, these apps won't even be there to utilize the battery!), the battery shd last you fine.

You can also set to battery saving mode, flight mode etc to prolong each charge.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:36 pm

Teacher Aaron wrote:Most smartphones today don't last more than two days, even with 'infrequent' usage because of the background data transfer is on-going, and other the screen, internet data transfer is the next most power hungry part of a smartphone.

Two days?! :yikes: Do u mean 2 years? Otherwise, very short product life. :wink:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets