Malware

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Malware

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:35 am

There was a popup telling me that something DLL is not loading on my windows.

Did a check and found that the name was linked to malware. Went into msconfig and found some unknown startup progs.

Installed malwarebytes and did a scan and it returned almost 60 'infection'. My AVG was also triggered during the scanning.

Meanwhile the realtime MWB protection is showing intrusions from some china ip.

Is your PC vulnerable to malicious software?

How do you protection your PC?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Malware

Postby Kafer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:25 pm

I bought the norton protection fr popular (student version)so cheaper n it has been gd thus far.

Kafer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ohms » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:18 pm

Nebbermind wrote:There was a popup telling me that something DLL is not loading on my windows.

Did a check and found that the name was linked to malware. Went into msconfig and found some unknown startup progs.

Installed malwarebytes and did a scan and it returned almost 60 'infection'. My AVG was also triggered during the scanning.

Meanwhile the realtime MWB protection is showing intrusions from some china ip.

Is your PC vulnerable to malicious software?

How do you protection your PC?

Since you have AVG and realtime MWB, you should have sufficient protection. However due to my past experiences with AVG, I opted with Microsoft's Security Essentials instead.

All PCs are vulnerable to malicious software - maybe via popups, udates, upgrades, downloads, freeware, shareware, and bittorrent downloads!

I use in addition, to the above anti-virus software, CCleaner, as a "tool" to help weed out hidden badware.

CCleaner or similar type programs is a central point to better access other areas of the PC not readily accessible to most lay-users, such as Windows registry.

I use CCleaner's registry cleaner to "delete" unwanted registers in the registry key. I find it quite safe to delete whatever it recommends after it had scanned the registry files.

Then use the Tools option to remove or disable suspected programs that are installed and you are not familiar that you have installed or running during startup.

And finally use the cleaner to "delete" your browser's and system's cache.

Run CCleaner and your anti-virus programs, and reboot, and repeat, until your anti-virus status is green/safe. It will take at least to rounds before its all clear.

Preventive measures
Disable popups (unless you trust the source),
scan your download folder after every download,
run CCleaner periodically,
run a full scan with your anti-virus periodically,
have "nimble fingers" - when a unknown popup opens suddenly, intercept to close it immediately, they can deliver hidden badware!
This is one way to root out badware.

However with caution, you have to be aware that a very badly affected PC may have a badly infected system registry. It may affect the Windows OS.

This is the preventive process I use for my home PCs. Seems to work!

ohms
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby pharmacharak » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:09 pm

Hello,
I installed NPAV antivirus which is good and effective. It scans every time when I connect any device with my PC or downloading any content...

pharmacharak
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Xeraph » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi there.
Looking at your computer, I think there are two options for you. Fix it or do a fresh Windows install.
1) Attempt to fix it
If the malware allows you to install a antivirus (Any will do, your choice) install it immediately. Has your AVG cleaned up the malware? If nothing happens, then skip this step as the malware is likely blocking your process. Try again with a different one like McAfee (paid) or Avast (free).
After which, install CCleaner and defragment your drive. Use CCleaner to declog your registry, which the malware may have written to.
If none of this works, please follow step 2.
2) Fresh Windows Install
Do a system restore to factory settings, and see if this resolves the problem.
3) New hard disk drive with fresh Windows install
If the problem is still not fixed (which is highly unlikely), buy a new hard drive and install Windows on it.
Please PM me if you have any questions.

Xeraph
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby aprillee989 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:41 am

usually i will run trend micro's free scan periodically..dont really want to spend on the paid versions since my laptop is just for home usage. not really worth the money i think. But if you need yours for work as well..maybe its worth investing in one :)

aprillee989
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kychua » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:57 am

I just use windows defender. never kena virus before...LOL

kychua
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby floppy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:14 pm

I've been using a Mac since 2004, yet to have a case of malware and virus. No anti-virus, anti-malware software installed so far.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby patntee » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:45 pm

My PC was infected with a virus alert yesterday and the seemingly authentic window prompt me to install Malware Defender 2015 at a cost of $69.95. Without which, I cannot even access the files saved on my PC hard disk. I nearly fell for the trick as I am unable to use any online tools or windows defender to remove the virus. Luckily I googled more on my phone and found out that Malware Defender 2015 is a fraudulent anti virus program. Managed to remove it from my PC by following a Youtube video. So would like to spread the awareness here.

patntee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Technology & Gadgets