Advice on DECT phones

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Advice on DECT phones

Postby atrecord » Thu May 08, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi, any expert on DECT phones here who could give some advice?

I use 2 x GP Recyko 820 mAh AAA batts on my Siemens Gigaset twin DECT.

How long the phone can use after one full charge is one issue, there are other issues i'm confused with:

1) There are 3 levels of batt life on the indicator (2 bars=full charge; 1 bar=not full but can use; empty bar and blinking=will be flat in a minute or so if continue talking). After full charge, if leave it (away from the base, and non-talking) for about 8-12 hr, indicator still shows full, but once start to dial a number, the moment start to connect only, the batt will go flat. How come the indicator doesn't drop to 1 bar or blinking if it's so near flat? This cannot be the batt problem because it happened also for the Sanyo rechargeable batts that came with the phones too...

2) Even if i spread out the charging time, as in fully charge one handset (while the other one is flat), then after 6-7 hr fully charge the second one. When the first handset goes flat, the second handset will not last long (even when fully charged), maybe less than 1 hr, before it also goes flat, if the first handset is not recharged. Is the batt life of one handset dependent on the other?

3) One more question: in the past when I had a normal cordless phone and one fixed phone, if i'm on one phone talking halfway, I can use the other phone to continue the conversation. But on these 2 twin-handset DECTs, i cannot mid-way through a conversation, change to another handset if say the batt is low on the one i'm using... so when eg. I need to call SingTel, which will make me listen to 5-10 min of music for each call before i get to speak to the right person, the phone can go flat after all the waiting (and I can't change to another handset), and I'll have to then use the other handset to repeat the whole cycle all over again afterwards... Are all DECT phones like this?

Tks...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Advice on DECT phones

Postby ohms » Fri May 09, 2014 8:06 pm

atrecord wrote:Hi, any expert on DECT phones here who could give some advice?

How long the phone can use after one full charge is one issue, there are other issues i'm confused with:

1) There are 3 levels of batt life on the indicator (2 bars=full charge; 1 bar=not full but can use; empty bar and blinking=will be flat in a minute or so if continue talking). After full charge, if leave it (away from the base, and non-talking) for about 8-12 hr, indicator still shows full, but once start to dial a number, the moment start to connect only, the batt will go flat. How come the indicator doesn't drop to 1 bar or blinking if it's so near flat? This cannot be the batt problem because it happened also for the Sanyo rechargeable batts that came with the phones too...

2) Even if i spread out the charging time, as in fully charge one handset (while the other one is flat), then after 6-7 hr fully charge the second one. When the first handset goes flat, the second handset will not last long (even when fully charged), maybe less than 1 hr, before it also goes flat, if the first handset is not recharged. Is the batt life of one handset dependent on the other?

3) One more question: in the past when I had a normal cordless phone and one fixed phone, if i'm on one phone talking halfway, I can use the other phone to continue the conversation. But on these 2 twin-handset DECTs, i cannot mid-way through a conversation, change to another handset if say the batt is low on the one i'm using... so when eg. I need to call SingTel, which will make me listen to 5-10 min of music for each call before i get to speak to the right person, the phone can go flat after all the waiting (and I can't change to another handset), and I'll have to then use the other handset to repeat the whole cycle all over again afterwards... Are all DECT phones like this?

Tks...

I used the Philips dect phone set as it was one of the few brands that allowed up to 6(?) phones to share. As a wireless digital phone,dect had better clarity, and prevented cross-talk with wireless analog phones between your neighbours and you.

So your phone batt could suffer from two possibilities - not enough power as the batt is rated 850Ma. The other is "memory effect" - notorious problem among rechargeable cordless phones.

Get a higher rated batt,say 1200 mah. Make sure you charge the batt to the specified time, the first time! Do not use your phone when charging the new battery.

You can try to recover your old batt by "draining" your batt by leaving on standby mode until it turns off. Turn it on again and you will have residual power to standby again until it powers off again. Repeat until totally no more power when turned on. Then charge until fully charged as though charging first time again.

Lastly, get an external battery charger rated for 2000 mah or larger, and has drain charge option. This option may help restore the battery to almost former glory.

Of course a well used battery will suffer irreversible memory effect anyways!

Why can't you use dect phones like normal cordless phones?

Dect phones are a mini version of the Panasonic keyphones you may have used in offices. So you have to carefully read the instructions to do a transfer, or make a conference (shared) call.

BTW its best to check to keep all DECT phones in your home with the same brand. Some DECT models even work on standalone only.

Hope it helps.

ohms
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby atrecord » Wed May 14, 2014 2:02 pm

ohms wrote:

Tks...

I used the Philips dect phone set as it was one of the few brands that allowed up to 6(?) phones to share. As a wireless digital phone,dect had better clarity, and prevented cross-talk with wireless analog phones between your neighbours and you.

So your phone batt could suffer from two possibilities - not enough power as the batt is rated 850Ma. The other is "memory effect" - notorious problem among rechargeable cordless phones.

Get a higher rated batt,say 1200 mah. Make sure you charge the batt to the specified time, the first time! Do not use your phone when charging the new battery.

You can try to recover your old batt by "draining" your batt by leaving on standby mode until it turns off. Turn it on again and you will have residual power to standby again until it powers off again. Repeat until totally no more power when turned on. Then charge until fully charged as though charging first time again.

Lastly, get an external battery charger rated for 2000 mah or larger, and has drain charge option. This option may help restore the battery to almost former glory.

Dect phones are a mini version of the Panasonic keyphones you may have used in offices. So you have to carefully read the instructions to do a transfer, or make a conference (shared) call.

BTW its best to check to keep all DECT phones in your home with the same brand. Some DECT models even work on standalone only.

Hope it helps.

Thanks...

Can I check with you on your Panasonic DECT phone: when one phone batt is flat, can the other(s) handsets continue to be used for long?

As I had stated in #2, one full charge can last maybe 10 hr for the phones. But if I fully charge A at 10 am, and fully charge the other one (B) only at 6 pm, when A goes flat in 8 pm, B can quickly goes from full-charge to low batt by 9 or 10 pm, and if i continue to use it, it will also go flat by 10 or 10.30 pm...

This gives me the impression that one handset's batt looks dependent on the other one, and they will go flat around the same time.

Do you have this problem with Panasonic?

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ohms » Wed May 14, 2014 5:54 pm

atrecord wrote:
ohms wrote:

Tks...

Hope it helps.

Thanks...

Can I check with you on your Panasonic DECT phone: when one phone batt is flat, can the other(s) handsets continue to be used for long?

As I had stated in #2, one full charge can last maybe 10 hr for the phones. But if I fully charge A at 10 am, and fully charge the other one (B) only at 6 pm, when A goes flat in 8 pm, B can quickly goes from full-charge to low batt by 9 or 10 pm, and if i continue to use it, it will also go flat by 10 or 10.30 pm...

This gives me the impression that one handset's batt looks dependent on the other one, and they will go flat around the same time.

Once off the cradle, the phone should return to room temperature in standby mode. Does this occur or is the phone is always warm? IF always warm, could be circuit short in the phone. Then the quick discharge is one of two problems, an under-powered battery, or memory effect.

One last test, swap batteries between the handsets and see if the usage timing are still the same. If yes, handset problem. If no, battery problem.

As mentioned earlier, you could try getting a new 1200 or 1500mah batteries for one set first. Charge it overnight in "OFF" mode. Or get an external charger that has battery discharge option, and is able to charge batteries up to 2800mah (I dunno what's the latest capacity of rechargeable batteries now), but you need the discharge option.

:smile:
One more thing - are both dect base units connected to the tel line sockets? and are same models right? dect phones can link to one main base station that has the main tel line. Hence the main base phone uses a stronger battery. Is this your setup?

ohms
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby atrecord » Thu May 15, 2014 10:43 am

ohms wrote:
atrecord wrote:Thanks...

Once off the cradle, the phone should return to room temperature in standby mode. Does this occur or is the phone is always warm? IF always warm, could be circuit short in the phone. Then the quick discharge is one of two problems, an under-powered battery, or memory effect.

One last test, swap batteries between the handsets and see if the usage timing are still the same. If yes, handset problem. If no, battery problem.

As mentioned earlier, you could try getting a new 1200 or 1500mah batteries for one set first. Charge it overnight in "OFF" mode. Or get an external charger that has battery discharge option, and is able to charge batteries up to 2800mah (I dunno what's the latest capacity of rechargeable batteries now), but you need the discharge option.

One more thing - are both dect base units connected to the tel line sockets? and are same models right? dect phones can link to one main base station that has the main tel line. Hence the main base phone uses a stronger battery. Is this your setup?

The phone returns to room temp when off the cradle or charging base. In fact, once it stops charging (when full) on the cradle, it returns to room temp already.

There are 2 base units, both need to be connected to a power point, but only one has a tel line connected to it. When this base unit is switched off, there is no more connection on the phones even if they're charged.

As for the other base unit, it's purely for charging and it doesn't affect connection if it's switched off.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ohms » Thu May 15, 2014 1:40 pm

atrecord wrote:
ohms wrote:
atrecord wrote:Thanks...

The phone returns to room temp when off the cradle or charging base. In fact, once it stops charging (when full) on the cradle, it returns to room temp already.

There are 2 base units, both need to be connected to a power point, but only one has a tel line connected to it. When this base unit is switched off, there is no more connection on the phones even if they're charged.

As for the other base unit, it's purely for charging and it doesn't affect connection if it's switched off.

You should not have the problems associated with charging and standby as you say is correct - it should be independent devices.

BTW I used the Philips 4-unit DECT. Worked ok. I gave up on it cuz my kid used to carelessly place the handsets all over the house until no battery! So could not locate!

But I did get memory effect on the batteries and that reduced the lifespan of the batteries and standy considerably. Hence I used the external charger and higher capacity battery.

ohms
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby atrecord » Thu May 15, 2014 6:22 pm

ohms wrote:
atrecord wrote:

You should not have the problems associated with charging and standby as you say is correct - it should be independent devices.

BTW I used the Philips 4-unit DECT. Worked ok. I gave up on it cuz my kid used to carelessly place the handsets all over the house until no battery! So could not locate!

But I did get memory effect on the batteries and that reduced the lifespan of the batteries and standy considerably. Hence I used the external charger and higher capacity battery.

I wonder why my twin phones are like dependent: one flat, the other can't last much longer...

I didn't know there can be external charger for the phone? Or did you mean take out the batts and charge separately, then when full just change the batts in the phones that are going flat?

I still haven't looked for higher-capacity batts yet. I didn't realise until recently that rechargeable batts have diff capacities... :oops:

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atrecord » Mon May 19, 2014 3:23 pm

atrecord wrote:
ohms wrote:

I wonder why my twin phones are like dependent: one flat, the other can't last much longer...

I didn't know there can be external charger for the phone? Or did you mean take out the batts and charge separately, then when full just change the batts in the phones that are going flat?

I still haven't looked for higher-capacity batts yet. I didn't realise until recently that rechargeable batts have diff capacities... :oops:

Hi, i went to NTUC xtra yesterday to check on the rechargeable batts. They only have 4 types for AAA size there, and all are either 700-800 maH only. The AA batts however have up to 1200 maH...

Not sure if can get higher maH ones elsewhere or not. Anyone has any suggestion? tks...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasu--carer » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:40 am

Just go buy new AAA batteries.

We had same problem with Panasonic DECT. After several years use, went flat after just one day standby. Talk time got shorter and shorter too. Husband went to Sim Lim and bought 2 new AAAs (Sanyo Eneloops not Panasonic brand) for each handset. Now lasts over a week on standby and several hours of continuous talk.

kiasu--carer
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby atrecord » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:53 am

kiasu--carer wrote:

Just go buy new AAA batteries.

We had same problem with Panasonic DECT. After several years use, went flat after just one day standby. Talk time got shorter and shorter too. Husband went to Sim Lim and bought 2 new AAAs (Sanyo Eneloops not Panasonic brand) for each handset. Now lasts over a week on standby and several hours of continuous talk.

Are you serious? Can last so long? My Siemens on Recycko AAA batts, can last max one day on standby, and it will go blank the moment you answer any call…

How many maH is the Eneloops?

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets