How do you control your child's Computer time

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Re: How do you control your child's Computer time

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:43 pm

Computer/Internet addiction is a major problem.

A simple way of prevention is to turn on Family Safety on Windows 8. Apple also has equivalent features. NEVER allow your child to have free play over installation of applications. Set the allowed time to be 1 hour per day during school days, and curfew hours from 10pm and 10am.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:34 pm

How old is your child and what does he do on the computer/gadgets? Time limits should take into account the age of child and what he does (eg. if he needs it for schoolwork, then there should be separate limits for work and play). And yes, addiction is a concern. Do set limits early before addiction sets in.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:35 am

Talking abt addiction, I was so so amazed to see a parent setting up an Ipad (showing cartoons) for her dd in a restuarant so that the child can eat n be entertained at the same time.

Goodness, in my opinion, this is the wrong way of parenting.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby taz » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:21 am

zbear wrote:Talking abt addiction, I was so so amazed to see a parent setting up an Ipad (showing cartoons) for her dd in a restuarant so that the child can eat n be entertained at the same time.

This is very common in everywhere w toddler or children of any age. Right or wrong is up to the parent to decide.
It is a big NO for my children. All had to keep the phone on table during meal time. The most difficult one to change is my dh :rotflmao:

taz
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ammonite » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:59 am

taz wrote:
zbear wrote:Talking abt addiction, I was so so amazed to see a parent setting up an Ipad (showing cartoons) for her dd in a restuarant so that the child can eat n be entertained at the same time.

This is very common in everywhere w toddler or children of any age.

Yes, this is extremely common now. Teenagers/adults sitting by themselves at café and watching movies/drama on smart devices is also quite common now.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:49 pm

ammonite wrote:Teenagers/adults sitting by themselves at café and watching movies/drama on smart devices is also quite common now.

I'm one of those who always reads while eating if I'm by myself, so I feel that looking at a gadget is OK if the person is alone. I just find it really sad when a group is together and some/all are looking at their gadgets instead of interacting! I don't allow gadgets or books at the dining table at home unless the person is alone, and I have to abide by that rule myself to set a good example.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:18 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
ammonite wrote:Teenagers/adults sitting by themselves at café and watching movies/drama on smart devices is also quite common now.

I'm one of those who always reads while eating if I'm by myself, so I feel that looking at a gadget is OK if the person is alone. I just find it really sad when a group is together and some/all are looking at their gadgets instead of interacting! I don't allow gadgets or books at the dining table at home unless the person is alone, and I have to abide by that rule myself to set a good example.

Oh I do it too. I mentioned it as part of how common it is, not whether it is good or not. When I sit at the cafe by myself, I sometimes have my laptop, iPad and iPhone all in action.

With smart devices so ubiquitous, I think it is sometimes a challenge to actively put them away to interact with others, including our children. It is a cheap and convenient babysitter and makes going out less tiring for parents.

And besides young children, grandparents new to smart devices are also glued to their Samsung and iPhones, whatsapping and playing candy crush during mealtimes and crossing the road. I also know grandparents who thrust the iPad to grandchildren the minute they return from preschool.

So it is really a very pervasive phenomenon.

As for the original topic, my simple solution is to limit games, delete games, don't buy for them in the first place. Of course got to find other ways to keep them occupied then, and still allow some exposure to new technology. So more educational apps and strategy game apps and I change them periodically. Usage limited to weekend, half an hour.

(but my kids are still young. For older kids, at some point they will want to explore more. )

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby monser » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:13 pm

You should control their PC time while they are young, it is better and easier.
Do not try to just give them a iPad to save your own time or only because you feel tired.

monser
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby lauren85 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:51 pm

[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/20gik2q.jpg[/IMG] How about rather than rely on technology that they'll spend 30 seconds working out his to get around, you actually...y'know....talk to them about it

lauren85
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Sarahtan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:10 pm

[quote="zbear"]Talking abt addiction, I was so so amazed to see a parent setting up an Ipad (showing cartoons) for her dd in a restuarant so that the child can eat n be entertained at the same time.

Goodness, in my opinion, this is the wrong way of parenting.[/quote]

Agree. But I had done this once. Needed to settle some important things with relatives (legal and stuff) over lunch, hubby was away overseas, no maid and one of
My two kids was toddler and couldn't read or colour. She fussed so much that it was so annoying. When I have my tablet, it was total peace. I know it goes against grain of parenting but sometimes, parents have no choice.

Having said that, I limit my kids to 3 hrs of total game Time per week. (They have 4 hours of outdoor activity excluding eca. Church and remedial stuff take
Up the rest of their other free time
Outside school ) Their friends are all into gong and I don't want her to be sua ku either and left out. When they gather, they all talk about minecraft, candy rush etc

Sarahtan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets