Any easy way to stream video from smart phone to smart tv?

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Any easy way to stream video from smart phone to smart tv?

Postby atrecord » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:25 am

Hi,

Does anyone know of any guaranteed way to stream videos from smart phone to smart tv? But my smart tv is not v smart (GEP :wink: ) type. Got no in-built wifi. Got DLNA i recall (although not sure how to set), and i have a wifi dongle.

I have a MHL cable which I used on my previous S3, but it's highly unreliable for a while already. Need to connect and disconnect tens of times before it actually streams - fed up with it so is looking for other options.

Heard a colleague said his philips smart tv just use some app, and it can stream already…

Anyone knows any options? Thanks.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:25 am
Total Likes: 6


Re: Any easy way to stream video from smart phone to smart t

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:18 am

atrecord wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know of any guaranteed way to stream videos from smart phone to smart tv? But my smart tv is not v smart (GEP :wink: ) type. Got no in-built wifi. Got DLNA i recall (although not sure how to set), and i have a wifi dongle.

I have a MHL cable which I used on my previous S3, but it's highly unreliable for a while already. Need to connect and disconnect tens of times before it actually streams - fed up with it so is looking for other options.

Heard a colleague said his philips smart tv just use some app, and it can stream already…

Anyone knows any options? Thanks.


Your TV got ethernet port? If have, then you can connect it to your router and use DLNA. Otherwise, just buy a NAS box and copy your videos to the NAS. Or if your TV has USB, then connect your S3 to the USB port as storage medium and play your video from there.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Re: Any easy way to stream video from smart phone to smart t

Postby floppy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Also, depends on the brand of smart phone and smart TV you are talking about.

Apple iPhone/iPad can do it painlessly via AirPlay with AppleTV (TV model/brand not important).

Samsung has an app which you can send videos from Samsung phones to Samsung Smart TV.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2829
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:48 pm
Total Likes: 73


Re: Any easy way to stream video from smart phone to smart t

Postby atrecord » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:58 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
atrecord wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know of any guaranteed way to stream videos from smart phone to smart tv? But my smart tv is not v smart (GEP :wink: ) type. Got no in-built wifi. Got DLNA i recall (although not sure how to set), and i have a wifi dongle.

I have a MHL cable which I used on my previous S3, but it's highly unreliable for a while already. Need to connect and disconnect tens of times before it actually streams - fed up with it so is looking for other options.

Heard a colleague said his philips smart tv just use some app, and it can stream already…

Anyone knows any options? Thanks.


Your TV got ethernet port? If have, then you can connect it to your router and use DLNA. Otherwise, just buy a NAS box and copy your videos to the NAS. Or if your TV has USB, then connect your S3 to the USB port as storage medium and play your video from there.


Yes, got ethernet port, but not sure if it's been used now. It used to be used to connect to the Internet. Now after installing fibre, all the connection haywire…

Videos i'm talking about might not be downloaded type. I've been accessing videos on youku recently on my PC, and using HDMI cable to stream to the TV for my father to watch. There's this documentary on Deng Xiao Peng that he's fixated on…

Am thinking if got way to stream from my phone easily to the TV wirelessly than will be so much easier.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:25 am
Total Likes: 6


Re: Any easy way to stream video from smart phone to smart t

Postby atrecord » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:59 pm

floppy wrote:Also, depends on the brand of smart phone and smart TV you are talking about.

Apple iPhone/iPad can do it painlessly via AirPlay with AppleTV (TV model/brand not important).

Samsung has an app which you can send videos from Samsung phones to Samsung Smart TV.


Sigh… Whole family using Samsung phones, but TVs are all LG…

Any app can 'marry' these together or not??

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:25 am
Total Likes: 6



Re: Any easy way to stream video from smart phone to smart t

Postby floppy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:25 pm

atrecord wrote:
Sigh… Whole family using Samsung phones, but TVs are all LG…

Any app can 'marry' these together or not??


Based on your earlier post, don't waste time trying to figure out how to stream from your phone to TV. Can be done but for the cost and time involved, may as well go get yourself one of those Android TV boxes from Sim Lim Square and stream the video from the app directly to your TV.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2829
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:48 pm
Total Likes: 73


Re: Any easy way to stream video from smart phone to smart t

Postby atrecord » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:25 pm

floppy wrote:
atrecord wrote:
Sigh… Whole family using Samsung phones, but TVs are all LG…

Any app can 'marry' these together or not??


Based on your earlier post, don't waste time trying to figure out how to stream from your phone to TV. Can be done but for the cost and time involved, may as well go get yourself one of those Android TV boxes from Sim Lim Square and stream the video from the app directly to your TV.


Still go SLS? i scared leh… What are those boxes called? Just Android box?

tks...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:25 am
Total Likes: 6


Re: Any easy way to stream video from smart phone to smart t

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:43 pm

Go HWZ and check reviews of android box and check qoo10 coz they have plenty of android box. But beware of imitation!!

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 14658
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 148


Re: Any easy way to stream video from smart phone to smart t

Postby atrecord » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:08 pm

Nebbermind wrote:Go HWZ and check reviews of android box and check qoo10 coz they have plenty of android box. But beware of imitation!!


Ok Will go check out 'Android Box'.

Had seen people use a gadget that is like a HDMI dongle connect to the TV, and it allow tablet to stream screen details onto the TV via wifi connection to the connected gadget. Any idea what is that?

tks...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:25 am
Total Likes: 6


Re: Any easy way to stream video from smart phone to smart t

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:25 pm

You can get an Android box (I have the Minix Neo X8), or you can simply buy an MHL cable for your Android phone and connect it to the TV. It does pretty much the same thing as the Android box or maybe even more since it has a phone, GPS, and faster processor than most Android box. If you have an extra Android phone lying around, this may be a cheaper option.

One end of the MHL cable goes into your phone's USB port. The other end goes to your TV's HDMI port. Some MHL cables are active, and require you to plug in an external power supply to process the signalling and conversion.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets