Computer help for the needy?

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Computer help for the needy?

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:54 am

Does anyone know of any organisation/shop/person who is willing to provide computer help for the needy? Or would refurbish old PCs for the needy?

I have just offered to donate an old laptop through a donation site to a medical charity for a sec school student. This 5-yr-old PC of ours is in decent working condition, but has XP and other old software installed. I don't think the charity would have the staff to replace the old OS and software and provide support for the student (if he/she wants the computer). I recall reading about some charity/people who were willing to do this, but couldn't find anything about such help when I googled. Anyone know? We would be willing to download some freeware for the student, but don't have the know-how or time to change the OS or provide computer support ourselves. Thanks.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Computer help for the needy?

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:01 am

slmkhoo wrote:Does anyone know of any organisation/shop/person who is willing to provide computer help for the needy? Or would refurbish old PCs for the needy?

I have just offered to donate an old laptop through a donation site to a medical charity for a sec school student. This 5-yr-old PC of ours is in decent working condition, but has XP and other old software installed. I don't think the charity would have the staff to replace the old OS and software and provide support for the student (if he/she wants the computer). I recall reading about some charity/people who were willing to do this, but couldn't find anything about such help when I googled. Anyone know? We would be willing to download some freeware for the student, but don't have the know-how or time to change the OS or provide computer support ourselves. Thanks.

New OS & S/W costs $$$ and also, old PCs/laptops may not have the resources to handle the newer S/W.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:02 am

Curious. I know MOE provides free computer/internet to needy students. Does this apply to Sec school or just pri school? (My kids not at sec school level yet)

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:04 am

Nebbermind wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:Does anyone know of any organisation/shop/person who is willing to provide computer help for the needy? Or would refurbish old PCs for the needy?

New OS & S/W costs $$$ and also, old PCs/laptops may not have the resources to handle the newer S/W.

The specs of this PC should be OK. We were thinking that maybe someone could install Chrome, Libre etc.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mdreamz2008 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:

The specs of this PC should be OK. We were thinking that maybe someone could install Chrome, Libre etc.

I remember that Community Centres do have contacts for people who are in needs for computers. You may want to contact them and check it out. I think WinXP is still ok as long as you have wifi access and some open office or MS office, it should be enough for students to do their assignment. :) Just my two cents comments

mdreamz2008
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby hoo1688 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:56 am

hquek wrote:Curious. I know MOE provides free computer/internet to needy students. Does this apply to Sec school or just pri school? (My kids not at sec school level yet)

iNSPIRE Fund (IDA)
ENHANCED NEU PC PLUS PROGRAMME

The iNSPIRE Fund scheme offers financial assistance to full-time students (aged 25 and below) who are unable to co-pay for the computer applied under the PC-Bundle scheme. Successful applicants will render between 3 to 12 hours of community service, depending on the type of computer model selected, to receive a fully-paid desktop/laptop.

To apply, the applicant must meet the following criteria:

Must be a successful applicant of NEU PC Plus Programme
Must be a full-time student aged 25 and below
The gross monthly household income or per capita monthly income must not exceed $2300 or $600 respectively

http://www.amp.org.sg/edisi/data/Educat ... 20v8.4.pdf

hoo1688
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Technology & Gadgets