Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Which laptop for JC use

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Re: Which laptop for JC use

Postby isetan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:27 am

zbear wrote:Can anyone tell me where to get laptops apart from Challenger, Harvey Norman, Courts n Best Denki?

I used to shop in Funan mall but since it's closed, I do not know where to go to?

Any recommendations?

Any brand in mind? Easier for you to zoom in.

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Risobia » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:21 am

You can consider MacBook. Because as time goes by, in my opinion, I think that MacBook last longer than another laptop. In fact, they are very easy to use and compatible with iPhone ! It is an advantage if you have iPhone! It makes life so much easier. From my experience, HP and Lenovo are not as durable. So maybe you can consider!

Risobia
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby floppy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:13 am

Risobia wrote:You can consider MacBook. Because as time goes by, in my opinion, I think that MacBook last longer than another laptop. In fact, they are very easy to use and compatible with iPhone ! It is an advantage if you have iPhone! It makes life so much easier. From my experience, HP and Lenovo are not as durable. So maybe you can consider!

Mac has a higher starting price point but if you average out the cost over the laptop's lifespan, Mac are absolutely worth it. It will outlive most Windows based laptop because of macOS.

However, excel is a major pain for Mac. if you require high level excel functions like pivot table, etc (though unlikely to be an issue in JC), Mac can be an absolute mare.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby isetan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:04 pm

DD used mac air and has been operating pretty well for 4 years. No breakdowns or hang except battery easily run low, guess it's due to 'ageing' but overall happy ATB the product.

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby isetan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:06 pm

isetan wrote:DD used mac air and has been operating pretty well for 4 years. No breakdowns or hang except battery easily run low, guess it's due to 'ageing' but overall happy ATB the product.

**ATB -----about (typo)

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby siling » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:14 pm

Macbook can last long but got compatibility problem.

siling
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby TopTutorSingapore » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:12 pm

My kids like Mac, and have bought the newer ones all the way through university and their Master's

TopTutorSingapore
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby janet88 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:26 am

it also depends on the course. if for JC and there is no specific requirements, then Mac would be fine. son has been using his mac for several years for entertainment and work during secondary school...but his engineering course in the poly stipulated it has to be non Mac. So he got the HP laptop...still trying to get the hang of using windows.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby isabelcjj » Tue May 30, 2017 6:27 pm

I recently graduated from JC, and I used Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. I really liked using that laptop bc it's super light, weighing around 1.3-1.6 kg? I brought my laptop to sch every day so the light weight helps a lot. Esp for students who keep their laptops in their backpacks, too much weight can give shoulder aches and back problems. Another good thing is that the laptop can be folded 360 degrees. This helps a lot for project works and when presenting to friends in small groups. The laptop is also touch screen, which is very convenient for use, and it is good if students like to take handwritten notes on electronic devices.

isabelcjj
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby produde1999 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:54 am

Do jc really require laptop to bring to school? Otherwise, an office desktop is usually preferred for any kind typing usage like word document.

produde1999
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Gadgets

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres