Anyone using Fibre Broadband and Free Digital Phone line?

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Anyone using Fibre Broadband and Free Digital Phone line?

Postby atrecord » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:35 am

Hi, just wondering whether anyone here:

- uses Fibre Boardband
- taps the free digital phone line that Fibre can support
- stays in a place where Fibre box was pre-installed by OpenNet, and the box, together with the DB box, is located in a recess area that is far away from the living room?

I just faced this problem. Actually could have been early as we changed to Fibre a year ago, but the problem emerged recently when I wanted to change my home phone set.

My twin DECT cordless phones batteries will last only about half to 3-quarter day maximum, so I thought of changing to a set of corded-plus-cordless phones.

However, as the fibre box is in this recess area just outside my bedroom, and covered by a door (it's closed 99.9% of the time), the SingTel technician told me that the only way to work is for the corded phone to be placed inside the recess area, and the charging base of the cordless phone can be placed in the living room (like we do now).

This is ridiculous. The reason for choosing a corded phone is to use as backup, when the cordless one is low on batt (or flat). Imagine when this happens and we need to use the corded phone, have to go to the recess area, open the door, and stand down there to talk!

The tech said the only other way is to get contractor to go and pull/lay another tel line from the recess area to the living room, which will cost min $300+.

Anyone knows of a better solution?

thanks.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Anyone using Fibre Broadband and Free Digital Phone line

Postby jetsetter » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:44 am

Treat it as phone booth lor!

pull it out then. No choice.

Why u need corded back up? Buy a better cordless phone.

I m also using digital phone line.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atrecord » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:54 pm

jetsetter wrote:Treat it as phone booth lor!

I have been using Siemens Gigaset (dunno what no.). When fully charged on the bases in the morning, the twin handsets put on sofa, when reach around 3 pm, must charge again already, even though the batt indicator is still full. Else, when use the phone, within few minutes, will having batt weak warning, and another min or two, it will go blank!

And when it happens to one handset, cannot use the other handset to continue talking - unlike in the good old days when i had an old corded phone and old cordless phones, where use one phone talk halfway, can just pick up the other phone to continue talking.

Worse, when one handset goes flat, the other handset will not last long, even if it's only recently charged. In this sense, cannot rotate and interchange them - like 8 am fully charged A, can use until about 3 pm; then for B, fully charged at say, 1 pm, and hope to use until about 8 pm.

We bought one stand-alone-corded digital phone on Sat, but yesterday when the technician came, told us the corded phone can only put inside the recess area to our shock!

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:03 pm

I've had problems with battery life with lots of phones, until I switched over to Panasonic DECT. No problems after that.

BTW, you may try to simply connect the telephone output of your fibre modem to an existing telephone outlet, if your existing copper line has been already disabled by Singtel on the outside. Then you can connect any phone to any existing telephone port in your home and use it normally. That's what I'm doing currently without any problems.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby sushi88 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:10 pm

atrecord wrote:

I have been using Siemens Gigaset (dunno what no.). When fully charged on the bases in the morning, the twin handsets put on sofa, when reach around 3 pm, must charge again already, even though the batt indicator is still full. Else, when use the phone, within few minutes, will having batt weak warning, and another min or two, it will go blank!

And when it happens to one handset, cannot use the other handset to continue talking - unlike in the good old days when i had an old corded phone and old cordless phones, where use one phone talk halfway, can just pick up the other phone to continue talking.

Worse, when one handset goes flat, the other handset will not last long, even if it's only recently charged. In this sense, cannot rotate and interchange them - like 8 am fully charged A, can use until about 3 pm; then for B, fully charged at say, 1 pm, and hope to use until about 8 pm.

We bought one stand-alone-corded digital phone on Sat, but yesterday when the technician came, told us the corded phone can only put inside the recess area to our shock!

I am more kiasu...I am using the Gigaset 3 cordless handsets, bought at a sale, think was less than $100 then. This will be the cheaper solution to your problem.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:17 pm

If your fiber box is in the recess, then where is your router?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atrecord » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:34 pm

Nebbermind wrote:If your fiber box is in the recess, then where is your router?

The fibre box is connected to the wireless fibre modem in the recess area. The modem is linked to a optical something-box (forgot the name, but it's a black box), also in the recess area. I think one port on the fibre modem is connected to the LAN port in the recess area, and this is linked by existing cables to the LAN port in my master room and the living room TV area.

My Mio TV is in the living room. Not sure whether it gets the signal via wireless or via the LAN port though.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atrecord » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:35 pm

sushi88 wrote:
atrecord wrote:

I am more kiasu...I am using the Gigaset 3 cordless handsets, bought at a sale, think was less than $100 then. This will be the cheaper solution to your problem.

Give up on Gigaset already, as it gave us problem as mentioned above.

Don't you have the same problem? Won't all 3 handsets go flat one after another, not long after?

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atrecord » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:42 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:I've had problems with battery life with lots of phones, until I switched over to Panasonic DECT. No problems after that.

BTW, you may try to simply connect the telephone output of your fibre modem to an existing telephone outlet, if your existing copper line has been already disabled by Singtel on the outside. Then you can connect any phone to any existing telephone port in your home and use it normally. That's what I'm doing currently without any problems.

Huh… Panasonic??
What about Philip? I think DW might have gone to NTUC to change the newly-bought corded phone (which we were told will not be a solution) to a new set of Philip DECT already… Hope it will last too…

On your suggestion of connecting the telephone output of fibre modem to existing telephone outlet, I thought of it too, but can't find (or rather, identify) any telephone line in the recess area with the DB. One option is of course to lay a new phone cable, but it will mean super ugly to run a cable on the wall (through the door too) to either the living room or my bedroom.

Or do you have a telephone outlet near the fibre box?

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:43 pm

What about replacing the batteries in the cordless phone?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets