repair of Asus laptop

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

repair of Asus laptop

Postby Jennifer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:53 am

Hi, like to get some advice on the reasonableness of the quotation I received from the service centre.

Attached the email content:

diagnosed with failure on the hard drive facing bad sector which cause the unit hangs and lags. It was also found that the power button is not responsive.

Having said that, should you wish to replace the components, it would be as follows + 7% GST with one year warranty on the hard drive and 90 days warranty on the topcase upon completion of repair. Alternatively, you may wish to collect back your unit without further repair

Hard drive (500GB): $380.00
Topcase (optional): $320.00
Labour: $20.00 (labour)

This laptop was purchased on 1/1/13, less than $1000/-

I am unable to get hold of the service centre personnel now to confirm what is the original hard drive size and whether not replacing the topcase will affect the power up button functionality.

Hope to get some advice from the gurus in KSP.

MTIA

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: repair of Asus laptop

Postby MrsKiasu » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:35 pm

Jen, I saw an Asus selling @$899 i5, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB SATA HDD at Best Denki Taka with few freebies, last week.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:55 pm

Jen,
Nowadays new laptops are cheaper and may not be worthwhile to repair. You can check online Qoo10 sells some new laptops at pretty low price.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsKiasu » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:01 pm

Nowadays I am not attracted by whatever additional functions that it may have. Price is more important so long as it serves my purpose. Spoilt then change.. electronic stuffs don't last as long anymore.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:03 pm

Jen,
Nowadays new laptops are cheaper and may not be worthwhile to repair. You can check online Qoo10 sells some new laptops at pretty low price.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:09 pm

Jennifer wrote:Hi, like to get some advice on the reasonableness of the quotation I received from the service centre.

Attached the email content:

diagnosed with failure on the hard drive facing bad sector which cause the unit hangs and lags. It was also found that the power button is not responsive.

Having said that, should you wish to replace the components, it would be as follows + 7% GST with one year warranty on the hard drive and 90 days warranty on the topcase upon completion of repair. Alternatively, you may wish to collect back your unit without further repair

Hard drive (500GB): $380.00
Topcase (optional): $320.00
Labour: $20.00 (labour)

This laptop was purchased on 1/1/13, less than $1000/-

I am unable to get hold of the service centre personnel now to confirm what is the original hard drive size and whether not replacing the topcase will affect the power up button functionality.

Hope to get some advice from the gurus in KSP.

MTIA

When the manufacturer has no intention of repairing your unit, he will normally just post an exorbitant invoice to tell you to "get lost". That is what is happening here.

Like the others said, it is probably simpler and less hassle free to simply buy a new machine. My own Asus all-in-one had to be repaired by Asus about 5 times over 2 years. When it finally died a month out of warranty, the service centre wanted to charge me $300 to replace the motherboard. I simply told them to keep the thing but return me its harddisk and RAM. Why spend money replacing something that I know will probably burn out in a few months' time?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Jennifer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:32 pm

This laptop was used by ah boy.

Recently we found out that the windows updates have not been done, ah boy always switched off the updates. Why? Dun ask me.

Anyway, he has been complaining the windows updates always fail and then there pops up a system message Reverting to previous settings.

So hubby bought him a new one at the recent Comex fair and I sent the sick one to the service centre.

Now anyone can give me some ideas how hard drive and power up button can become faulty?

Ah boy has a habit of sitting on the sofa with the laptop on his thighs. Sometimes he bent his thighs, sometimes hold the laptop on his hands.

I dun like this, tell him too much vibrations but he does not believe me.

Is the way he handles the laptop causes the laptop to fail sooner?

Or Asus itself sucks?

MTIA.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsKiasu » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:43 pm

Asus to be repaired few time over 2 years :yikes: ..I almost get con leh..the girl told me Asus is bery good :nailbite:

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:46 pm

MrsKiasu wrote:Asus to be repaired few time over 2 years :yikes: ..I almost get con leh..the girl told me Asus is bery good :nailbite:

Depends on user?

The way ah boy uses it, I also :yikes:

I forgot to mention he stacks the ShingLee Maths textbooks, story books, box files or papers on the laptop when the cover is put down.

:faint:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:14 pm

Actually we should avoid putting the laptop on the thigh or bed during use. It should be placed on an even and flat surface so that the ventilation vents at the bottom are not obstructed.
But easier said than done...haven't difficulty getting my kids to work at the desk too!

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets