Microwave cum baking/grill feature oven

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Microwave cum baking/grill feature oven

Postby CarrotTree » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:48 am

Hi,
I am looking to buy a new microwave oven cum grill/baking feature. Can anyone share with me what is a reasonable good brand? Not built in but table top type.
Preferably easy to use too so that my teenage children can use it to heat food and do simple grilling without hassle.
BTW, does the kitchen have s strong cooking smell and floor feels oily after the grilling or baking the food?
:thankyou:

CarrotTree
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Microwave cum baking/grill feature oven

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:59 pm

CarrotTree wrote:Hi,
I am looking to buy a new microwave oven cum grill/baking feature. Can anyone share with me what is a reasonable good brand? Not built in but table top type.
Preferably easy to use too so that my teenage children can use it to heat food and do simple grilling without hassle.
BTW, does the kitchen have s strong cooking smell and floor feels oily after the grilling or baking the food?
:thankyou:

Perhaps technology has improved since I had one of those combi ovens 20 yrs ago, but do check the speed of heating up for convection oven/grill features. The one I had was very slow, and I gave up using it as I had to wait so long for it to heat up. I only used it as a simple microwave oven. Also take note that once it has heated up, you will need to let it cool (this can also take a while) before you can put in plastic dishes if you want to use the microwave function. I now have a regular oven (for baking and grilling larger quantities), a toaster oven (for grilling small items) and a microwave oven. For teenagers, a microwave oven and a toaster oven (both table-top models) should be sufficient to do most things for 1 person (that's what my teens use).

Cooking smells and greasiness depends more on the food and cooking method than the type of oven. I avoid grilling as oil inevitably splatters except for breaded items. Baking and microwaving are generally cleaner.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby CarrotTree » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:18 pm

Hi slmkhoo,
Thanks 4 the advice.Will think carefully what I really neat before I buy. Tendency to have impulse buying and then become white elephants in the kitchen.

CarrotTree
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:44 am

CarrotTree wrote:Hi slmkhoo,
Thanks 4 the advice.Will think carefully what I really neat before I buy. Tendency to have impulse buying and then become white elephants in the kitchen.

Maybe start from the other end - ask your kids what sorts of food they would like to be able to prepare, then just get 1 item that can deal with a majority of their suggestions. If they are like my kids, they will want fast, easy, and minimal clean-up! If they get more expert and interested in cooking, you can then add another gadget if they think it will be well-used.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Technology & Gadgets