Which electric hob and oven to buy?

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Which electric hob and oven to buy?

Postby Dnls_mum » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:50 pm

My old 18 year old apartment is falling apart. Not literally, but well leakages everywhere, cupboards door coming off etc. so we thought of just biting the bullet and do some Reno to kitchen and bathroom and bedrooms. My kitchen is really small and our condo does not have those pipe in town gas. I want to put in an oven which I didn't have previously because I have picked up baking only in recent years and had been using my smal micro convection oven for baking up to now. To make place for my oven, I am thinking of using an electric hob to save the gas tank space. Is there anyone who has used electric hob and can advise if it is ok? Also, what is the recommended brand of electric hob and oven to buy? Anything that is cheap and good? I do occasion baking and only cook one or 2 meals on weekends. Appreciate any advice.

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Which electric hob and oven to buy?

Postby MrsKiasu » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:59 am

I used the electric hob during my last holiday. First time using that actually. And I like it. Got modern look :lol: Water boils quite fast and very easy to clean. Whole piece of glass so wiping is really easy. Brand, I didn't take note and also not sure about the electricity consumption.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dnls_mum » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:51 am

MrsKiasu wrote:I used the electric hob during my last holiday. First time using that actually. And I like it. Got modern look :lol: Water boils quite fast and very easy to clean. Whole piece of glass so wiping is really easy. Brand, I didn't take note and also not sure about the electricity consumption.

These glass ones only can use certain type of pots is it? So must change all my pots too?

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:54 am

Dnls_mum wrote:
MrsKiasu wrote:I used the electric hob during my last holiday. First time using that actually. And I like it. Got modern look :lol: Water boils quite fast and very easy to clean. Whole piece of glass so wiping is really easy. Brand, I didn't take note and also not sure about the electricity consumption.

These glass ones only can use certain type of pots is it? So must change all my pots too?

If it uses magnetic induction, then you have to use steel pots. Use a magnet to test you current pots and see. I think the glass-top electric hobs now are all magnetic induction hobs?

The adjustment between heat levels is not as fast as on a gas stove, so it depends on the type of cooking you do.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dnls_mum » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:01 am

slmkhoo wrote:If it uses magnetic induction, then you have to use steel pots. Use a magnet to test you current pots and see. I think the glass-top electric hobs now are all magnetic induction hobs?

The adjustment between heat levels is not as fast as on a gas stove, so it depends on the type of cooking you do.

Alamak, now I use Corning ware, so all must change :yikes:
Is this suitable for our Chinese cooking?

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsKiasu » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:10 am

Oh.. we were supplied with all stainless steel cooking ware...so possible leh besides the durability issue.

Good to check with the seller.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:24 am

Dnls_mum wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:If it uses magnetic induction, then you have to use steel pots. Use a magnet to test you current pots and see. I think the glass-top electric hobs now are all magnetic induction hobs?

Depends on what you mean by "Chinese cooking". The style with big flames and quick adjustments of fire - probably not. If you do a lot of stewing and simmering, it will be fine. And yes, your Corning ware won't work.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dnls_mum » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:19 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Dnls_mum wrote:

Depends on what you mean by "Chinese cooking". The style with big flames and quick adjustments of fire - probably not. If you do a lot of stewing and simmering, it will be fine. And yes, your Corning ware won't work.

Just stir fry lah. We are not expert cooks....hehe...just simple dishes. Thanks thanks. I am meeting contractor today. Will try to work some stuff out and start shopping.

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:52 pm

Bbmom renovated her kitchen last year and changed to electric hob. She bought a steam oven too. You might like to check with her.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bb_ mom » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:48 pm

Yes, I got a Bosch induction cooker & hob and oven. And yes, I had to change all my pots! :moneyflies: But worth it cos clean-up is loads easier. I can wipe down as I cook. Plus the extra work top space for when I prep for dinner or baking. By the way, thermal pot works on induction so no need to throw that out.

I got a Miele steam oven - used at least 3X a week. Steam rice & veg & hard-boiled eggs (for next day) minimally. But I try to maximize each use by doing a whole meal with the steam oven. So end up, we eat quite healthy meals now- all steam. Steam huat kueh also.

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets