Can configure wireless router to restrict wifi access?

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Can configure wireless router to restrict wifi access?

Postby atrecord » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:51 pm

Hi,

Wonder whether there's any experts out there who can help me with a difficult situation, concerning this new Arcadyan AC1900 router i just gotten from SingTel?

I've just installed it, and have started a 1 Gbps plan.

DD, sec 1 now, is proving to be unable to control the time spent on the handphone/pc.

According to SingTel, this new router has a number of functions, including parental control and can control a specific device's access. He said can definitely restrict websites, and it does so by recognising the MAC address. He's not sure whether can restrict the duration/timing the device can get connected, though, and apologised that the router is so new that they don't know enough of it yet to advise.

Even said don't have any contact details, and via google found it only has overseas offices.

Does anyone know:
1) whether the router can identify a specific device and restrict the time it can access the wifi signal? I'll like to set only fixed times a day that the device can access the wifi signal.
2) what is MAC address? how to find that of a samsung smart phone? and a laptop?

tks...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Can configure wireless router to restrict wifi access?

Postby JonC » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:06 am

Most routers, if not all, can be configure to restrict certain device to access the internet at a specified time.

First, identify your router's make and model, google for the make and model's manufacturer's website for the manual to follow the step by step procedure how to do so.

Each router has it's own unique IP address to get into, from browser, the screen which has the Username and Password to login into the device control software.

Under parental control (different device may call it differently), there should be pages which you can specified the MAC Address (unique ID) of the device you want to control, add it to the list you want to control and key/click in the time which it can access or cannot access.

How to know the MAC Address of the device, well, some device itself has it in their device's menu (search for it) or you can use the router you have to search who (MAC address) is using the router (only if it's the only device is currently using the router)

The above can only be done from home via Wi-Fi.

In sec sch, sometimes last minute your kid may need to access internet during locked time and if you are not home, you cannot unlock for them. Well, if your service provider has fixed IP address, type the IP address from your mobile browser, you can do the same from outside home, if you know how to configure the router to be the subnet of your service provider's IP address. But if your service provider does not have fixed address, you have to use Dynamic IP addressing to do it from outside home (this is too complicated to explain here). This is more advanced technique which is quite hard to teach here.

Good luck and have fun (with your kids) playing with your router, you will learn by trying it out. You can also hook onto a CCTV to the router which you can view your home from outside home.

JonC
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby BigDevil » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Go to this wikihow website and it will show you how
to find MAC addresses of your notebook/PC and smart phone.

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-the-MAC-Add ... r-Computer

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby atrecord » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:53 am

JonC wrote:Most routers, if not all, can be configure to restrict certain device to access the internet at a specified time.

First, identify your router's make and model, google for the make and model's manufacturer's website for the manual to follow the step by step procedure how to do so.

Each router has it's own unique IP address to get into, from browser, the screen which has the Username and Password to login into the device control software.

Under parental control (different device may call it differently), there should be pages which you can specified the MAC Address (unique ID) of the device you want to control, add it to the list you want to control and key/click in the time which it can access or cannot access.

How to know the MAC Address of the device, well, some device itself has it in their device's menu (search for it) or you can use the router you have to search who (MAC address) is using the router (only if it's the only device is currently using the router)

The above can only be done from home via Wi-Fi.

In sec sch, sometimes last minute your kid may need to access internet during locked time and if you are not home, you cannot unlock for them. Well, if your service provider has fixed IP address, type the IP address from your mobile browser, you can do the same from outside home, if you know how to configure the router to be the subnet of your service provider's IP address. But if your service provider does not have fixed address, you have to use Dynamic IP addressing to do it from outside home (this is too complicated to explain here). This is more advanced technique which is quite hard to teach here.

Good luck and have fun (with your kids) playing with your router, you will learn by trying it out. You can also hook onto a CCTV to the router which you can view your home from outside home.

Thanks! This is certainly helpful.

The model however, is quite new and so far can't find any manual. Even asking SingTel yielded little, and the manufacturer doesn't even have an office here in SGP...

Maybe I'll try out and play around. SingTel did guide me on how to go into the router setting using the IP address. Just need to figure out whether the model can restrict timing for access. I know Windows can.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atrecord » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:54 am

BigDevil wrote:Go to this wikihow website and it will show you how
to find MAC addresses of your notebook/PC and smart phone.

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-the-MAC-Add ... r-Computer

Thanks! Got it now... or at least i think so.
Will know for sure only when i try out... :smile:

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BigDevil » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:55 pm

atrecord wrote:Maybe I'll try out and play around. SingTel did guide me on how to go into the router setting using the IP address. Just need to figure out whether the model can restrict timing for access. I know Windows can.

On my Singtel Aztech router, the setting for access restriction is
found under Firewall Configuration -> MAC Filtering.

You have something similar for your router?

Or maybe you can post some screenshot and we can
suggest where to look?

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby JonC » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:15 am

atrecord wrote:
JonC wrote:
atrecord wrote:...
Even said don't have any contact details, and via google found it only has overseas offices.
Thanks! This is certainly helpful.

The model however, is quite new and so far can't find any manual. Even asking SingTel yielded little, and the manufacturer doesn't even have an office here in SGP...

Maybe I'll try out and play around. SingTel did guide me on how to go into the router setting using the IP address. Just need to figure out whether the model can restrict timing for access. I know Windows can.
I have mentioned google ... website, not ask you to call local support of Manufacturer (no local rep as you have said).

You can send them a request for an operating manual via this URL
http://www.arcadyan.com/contentpage.asp ... ry&L2id=11

JonC
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby JonC » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:22 am

@BigDevil & also atrecord

Pls do note that Wireless Router's User Menu is Manufacturer specific and not Service Provider specific.

I have used a few different brand of routers before and the User Menu is totally different and different manufacturer may even name the same function with different name.

JonC
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby makanbees » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:45 am

Thanks!

makanbees
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby dbotaks » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:11 pm

Additional to the first question, my son is smart enough to know that router setting can be reset by pressing the hardware reset button normally available on any router hardware. I will have my new SingTel's Arcadyan 1900AC router in one week time so I need to know how to protect the access into it.

Are there any effective solutions to this problem? Any thoughts on the following possible solutions:
a. The router is locked in a cabinet. Problem is: its signal may not be strong enough for all rooms.
b. The router is connected to a managed switch while the switch is locked in a cabinet. Problem is: the switch cannot be managed via wireless (so that my son will know how to 'push' the parents to unlock the access)
c. The router is connected to some access point terminals (APs) while the router can be locked in a cabinet. Problem is: I don't know whether Arcadyan 1900AC router can be connected to APs.

I welcome any feedbacks. Thank you very much in advance.

*desperate daddy*

dbotaks
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets